Non-O Multiple-Entry exp. May 17th. What do I do?

Hello,

I have a Non-O Multiple-Entry based on marriage to a Thai that expires on May 17th. I would have done a border run on May 16th and gotten my final 90 days, but I presume the borders will be closed. I am based in the North and usually go to Mae Sai crossing. The Visa expires on the 17th May and I last entered around the middle of February.

Are all borders around the North expected to still be closed in 2 1/2 weeks time?

Do I fit under the amnesty, and don't need to do anything until the 31st of July, after which I will have 7 days to leave the country, which would be to go and apply for another Non-O multiple entry in Laos or Vietnam in the first week of August?

Or should I go to immigration and apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage for 1900 baht, which will only take me to the middle of July?

TIA. 

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Go to immigration on 30th July and apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. That should make you good till end of September.

Have the DOI confirmed that aliens with an expired Visa and Expired Permission Of Temporary Stay can get an extension based on family, and not need to wait until after July and go get their new visa?

Please link to your source declaring this, TIA. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Have the DOI confirmed that aliens with an expired Visa and Expired Permission Of Temporary Stay can get an extension based on family, and not need to wait until after July and go get their new visa?

I assume DOI means the Immigration Bureau.

There have been no announcements about being able to apply for the extension after the "amnesty" but some immigration offices have told people to wait and apply for the extensions at the end of it.

Your visa being expired means nothing after you are in the country.

• Like 2

I can't imagine how everyone going to renew their non o visa in the same time (start of august at the moment is the most probable date) can be a good thing. Certainly a 2 months extension could give everybody the freedom to choose a couple of days in that period to possibly avoid mass gathering while trying to complete the task

People can usually go and get the 60 day extension based on family anytime before their 90 days are up, and the 60 days re just added to the 90 days.

This time, with so many people having gone past their their 90 day stamp by the time July 31st comes around, if they agree to give these 60 day extensions even though both the Visa and the POS stamp is out of date, I will go a week before July 31st.

Though I suspect that as my visa will have finished in May, as well as my POS stamp, they won't give it. Only those that still have a visa that's in date will probably be granted it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

People can usually go and get the 60 day extension based on family anytime before their 90 days are up, and the 60 days re just added to the 90 days.

This time, with so many people having gone past their their 90 day stamp by the time July 31st comes around, if they agree to give these 60 day extensions even though both the Visa and the POS stamp is out of date, I will go a week before July 31st.

Though I suspect that as my visa will have finished in May, as well as my POS stamp, they won't give it. Only those that still have a visa that's in date will probably be granted it. 

Wrong. you will get your 60 days.

Today, I went to the Pathum Thani Immigration and the Q is quite long. Many foreigners are applying for 60 days visa extension and require the letter from the embassy. There is no notice for amnesty for foreigners. 

My visa sticker already expired since March 2020, and my visa stamp will expire on 10 May 2020. Using the marriage visa from Laos. 

Thinking what to do. The immigration officer gave me a very thick form to complete it.

Edited by macgver
Not complete the sentences.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, macgver said:

Today, I went to the Pathum Thani Immigration and the Q is quite long. Many foreigners are applying for 60 days visa extension and require the letter from the embassy. There is no notice for amnesty for foreigners. 

That's not good news. :

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume DOI means the Immigration Bureau.

There have been no announcements about being able to apply for the extension after the "amnesty" but some immigration offices have told people to wait and apply for the extensions at the end of it.

Your visa being expired means nothing after you are in the country.

The wording on the immigration website graphic does seem to suggest that you may be able to get extensions once there is a definite end to the current extraordinary situation 

D12B5259-9053-4ED4-AD64-511D831C4E33.jpeg.d34d3169ef13b7c331f0cf75f3eaeb08.jpeg

Of course the thinking may change and it may we’ll be that different offices have different ideas. Or it may mean something different.

I think that most IOs do in fact want to help, some may activity look for ways that they can, others may just apply the rules they have, very few if any actually look for ways to say no.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

10 hours ago, macgver said:

My visa sticker already expired since March 2020, and my visa stamp will expire on 10 May 2020. Using the marriage visa from Laos. 

Thinking what to do. The immigration officer gave me a very thick form to complete it.

All holders of a permission to stay that expires after 26 March are automatically provided an extension till end of the Amnesty (31 July).

If you are married to a thai national and the permission to stay stamped in your passport expires after 26 March, there is no reason to 'waste' your time/money applying at your local IO for a 60-day extension from that permission to stay for reason of visiting your wife / dependant children.  Not only that but doing so you have also lost the option to apply for that 60-day extension once the Amnesty is over, as you can only apply for it once per entry.

Edited by Peter Denis

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

If you are married to a thai national and the permission to stay stamped in your passport expires after 26 March, there is no reason to 'waste' your time/money applying at your local IO for a 60-day extension from that permission to stay for reason of visiting your wife / dependant children.  Not only that but doing so you have also lost the option to apply for that 60-day extension once the Amnesty is over, as you can only apply for it once per entry.

Under normal circumstances what you have written is absolutely correct. However I have heard that, certainly in Udon Thani immigration office, there is a suggestion that due to the extra ordinary circumstances a second 60 day extension may be possible, I do not know of anyone who has tried yet.

Individual circumstances of course make each application unique and as it’s only a suggestion that the rule could be relaxed, I would not rely on it but equally there is no harm in trying if it’s the only way that works for you.

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Under normal circumstances what you have written is absolutely correct. However I have heard that, certainly in Udon Thani immigration office, there is a suggestion that due to the extra ordinary circumstances a second 60 day extension may be possible, I do not know of anyone who has tried yet.

Individual circumstances of course make each application unique and as it’s only a suggestion that the rule could be relaxed, I would not rely on it but equally there is no harm in trying if it’s the only way that works for you.

>>> It is absolutely certain that ALL holders of a permission to stay that expires after 26 March, are automatically provided an extension till end of the Amnesty (31 July).

See the Infographic below which you posted:

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So why spend time and money (1.900 THB) to apply for a 30 or 60-day extension at your local IO, when that extension would even be SHORTER than the automatic one which you already have?

The ONLY possible exception where it might be useful to visit your IO are those Non Imm O or O-A Visa holders on long-stay 1-year extensions, whose permission to stay is due to expire.

The extension till 31 July is also applicable for them.

HOWEVER, it is not sure that after the Amnesty their local IO will be willing to extend their 1-year permission to stay, when the window to do so has expired.  That would force them to leave Thailand and apply for a NEW Non Imm O Visa from scratch. 

So for those on 1-year extensions of stay it is useful to call or enquire at their local IO, whether the IO would allow them to renew their 1-year extension of stay when their permission to stay has expired during the Amnesty period.

40 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

>>> It is absolutely certain that ALL holders of a permission to stay that expires after 26 March, are automatically provided an extension till end of the Amnesty (31 July).

See the Infographic below which you posted:

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So why spend time and money (1.900 THB) to apply for a 30 or 60-day extension at your local IO, when that extension would even be SHORTER than the automatic one which you already have?

I agree on the point of the automatic, and free extension, for every one and that there would be few people  for whom another way is better and that is why I said

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

However there certainly is at least one reason that someone may find a 60 day or 30 day extension of use, if they wish to transition to a 1 year marriage extension but have not seasoned the 400k for the required period and need the time for that. Then the 60, or 30, day extension makes sense. As they will definitely be able to apply for the extension once the money has seasoned (assumption being everything else is OK)

It is certainly a possibility that an application to start using a 1 year extension may be accepted even if you permission to stay has expired during the amnesty though as you point out (I have also mentioned this in past posting) that is a very uncertain case for both new applications and renewal applications for 1 year extensions

Edited by sometimewoodworker

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

All holders of a permission to stay that expires after 26 March are automatically provided an extension till end of the Amnesty (31 July).

Exactly my problem now. Amnesty until 31 July. But I'd already got a 60 day extension on the last 90 day permission on the now expired visa. So that's running concurrently at the moment with the amnesty. Apart from attempting year's extension based on marriage and income method (tricky for me ) I'll have to leave during whatever grace period they give on ending the amnesty. To where is at present an unanswerable question. 

Before all this kicked off I had planned and booked to leave tomorrow for France with my Thai wife. Having obtained a new non O multi based on marriage for myself from Savanakhet before leaving. To do precisely that but before 31 July is still my preferred solution. But by then wife's visa is on point of expiry. Stuffed. Stuffed. Stuffed! Unless the French willing to do something about extending her visa. I have asked. No reply yet.

9 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Exactly my problem now. Amnesty until 31 July. But I'd already got a 60 day extension on the last 90 day permission on the now expired visa. So that's running concurrently at the moment with the amnesty. Apart from attempting year's extension based on marriage and income method (tricky for me ) I'll have to leave during whatever grace period they give on ending the amnesty. To where is at present an unanswerable question. 

Before all this kicked off I had planned and booked to leave tomorrow for France with my Thai wife. Having obtained a new non O multi based on marriage for myself from Savanakhet before leaving. To do precisely that but before 31 July is still my preferred solution. But by then wife's visa is on point of expiry. Stuffed. Stuffed. Stuffed! Unless the French willing to do something about extending her visa. I have asked. No reply yet.

Can your wife not simply re-apply for a Schengen Visa to visit France if her present one - due to the border-closures - is on the brink of expiry?

That would require that the VFS service is open again, but in my experience - I am a Belgian citizen - it only takes 2 days between appointment and Visa issuance for a thai citizen applying for a Schengen Visa.  Most probably it would be possible to use the same documents you used when applying for the initial Visa.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:47 PM, JackThompson said:

I kept checking the date/time of your post - because it sounds like a flashback from a month ago.  Those applying are being fooled, IMO.  The ONLY reason to apply for an extension, is for a 1-year type.  Even that is under debate, but I would do it - in fact, I tried - long story. 

All on 15/30/90-day entries Definitely have a permitted stay until July 31.  Should the borders open prior, they can leave - go get another Visa, etc.  If the borders do not open, the "automatic extension" would almost certainly be extended.  If under some crazy scenario the automatic-visas ended *before* one could go somewhere for another Non-O Visa (unlikely), THEN one might go to immigration to see if a 60-day could be applied-for (I think 50% chance they will allow it), worry about embassy-letters, etc.

Personally, I would take heart that I had a permitted-stay until July 31, watch, and see what happens in the meantime.  If nothing looking good by July 15, then start to concern myself with the next move.

My extended 90-day (+60) - obtained pre-auto-extension "amnesty" - will likely expire before I can go out for another Non-O Visa.  I do not anticipate an overstay fine/record, as long as I leave before July 31 - OR - whatever to future date they might increase the automatic-extensions.

I suspect the borders may re-open June 1 on a limited basis (or maybe not) but there's a good chance they will re-open by July 1st due to several airlines updating their schedules with international services resuming on that date.

I think that even if they didn't, the government will ensure no one will overstay - the July 31st deadline I suspect gives plenty of time to leave prior to this date, since I anticipate the borders opening about a month before this date. Otherwise, they'll surely announce another extension and that will probably be the last one necessary.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, macgver said:

Today, I went to the Pathum Thani Immigration and the Q is quite long. Many foreigners are applying for 60 days visa extension and require the letter from the embassy.

Why are they applying? We are given until 31/07....

On 4/30/2020 at 12:12 PM, Kalasin Jo said:

You are a French national I assume?

On 5/3/2020 at 3:11 PM, Eibot said:

You are a French national I assume?

No. British with residency permit. French Embassy have confirmed my wife can still accompany me too. But they say we must take a direct flight. Can't find one at the moment although Thai usually do and AirFrance do in high season only. I came out via Amman with Royal Jordanian. Return cancelled ages ago anyway.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Peter Denis said:

Can your wife not simply re-apply for a Schengen Visa to visit France if her present one - due to the border-closures - is on the brink of expiry?

That would require that the VFS service is open again, but in my experience - I am a Belgian citizen - it only takes 2 days between appointment and Visa issuance for a thai citizen applying for a Schengen Visa.  Most probably it would be possible to use the same documents you used when applying for the initial Visa.

Yes she can...when the visa service reopens. In fact the Frenc Embassy website suggests that unused visa because of covid will be replaced and with a simplified procedure. By post would be great as otherwise it's a trip to Bangkok and an overnight stay to get it all done in person. As I say, now waiting to hear further from French Embassy who no doubt have been waiting on their government's new lockdown easing rules post 11 May. No change there for travel from outside the EU. Also very few trains are going to be running until at least June. To get to French residence train is my usual mode as it's over 400 km.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

No. British with residency permit. French Embassy have confirmed my wife can still accompany me too. But they say we must take a direct flight. Can't find one at the moment although Thai usually do and AirFrance do in high season only. I came out via Amman with Royal Jordanian. Return cancelled ages ago anyway.

Resident permit under EEA rules? If you are married, you wife doesn't need to apply for any visa. See needs a EEA FP. It shouldn't matter where you are flying from I would say.