I have free electricity for 3 months (April, May, June)

AndyAndyAndy

Everybody saying you don't get free electricity.

But I just went to pay for last month. And they told me, that I have free electricity for 3 months (April, May, June). Applies to me, because I have "5". (5 Amp power meter?) But doesn't apply to my friend, because she has "15". Usually I pay around 750 Baht/month, so cool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shocked said:

750 a month. You must run a fan 3 hours a day. lol  I have never seen a bill that low. Of course I have AIR. 

Normal fan is 50 watt. So whit 4 bth you can run it 20 houer! Our electric bill in city home last month 360 bth and village home 700 bth. Never use AC even have one. Little over half time in city. But only wife and me in city. And we wash our clothes in village home! And yes have fridge etc. stuff lol

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

Everybody saying you don't get free electricity.

But I just went to pay for last month. And they told me, that I have free electricity for 3 months (April, May, June). Applies to me, because I have "5". (5 Amp power meter?) But doesn't apply to my friend, because she has "15". Usually I pay around 750 Baht/month, so cool!

Nobody has ever said that you cannot get free electricity.

you should be using about 200KWh per month according to your bill amount? so should be over the published limit for free power

please confirm your normal number of units.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Nobody has ever said that you cannot get free electricity.

you should be using about 200KWh per month according to your bill amount? so should be over the published limit for free power

please confirm your normal number of units.

my units are in last 3 months were something like 147, 130, 170 if i remember correctly

13 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I absolutely amazed by people that can live without A/C at this time of year, how on earth can that be comfortable? 

Guess saving and bragging about your aircon bill overshadows being comfortable to some. I'm and so many others is the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

my units are in last 3 months were something like 147, 130, 170 if i remember correctly

That should put your bills at 533, 468, and 631

the new free limit is 150 per month, they may have managed to fenangle your 170 usage down to under or at the free level. 

if you do go over 150 units you may find that you do have to pay.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:00 PM, Crossy said:

The meter is a 5/15 so 15A max your A/C would be just fine.

The meter is capable of much more than 15A, max cable is 10 sq mm.

Something from the distant past makes me think that specified max current(15A) is not instantaneous but related to time. 

Being a watt-hour meter I suspect that if the measurement of the increment exceeded 15 amps then you could be asked to install a larger rating. The increment on the 5/15 meter is 0.1KwH which may mean the trigger could come if 15A was taken continuously for over 6 minutes.

I have a 2 ring cooker which is 3.5Kw, not a lot of spare on 15A but even if both rings are on they cycle so not continuous, and I also have a 6Kw electric shower. Been on 5/15 for over 10 years without a problem.

Meters are indeed incredibly robust and will take a (very) large overload.

The first digit is the calibration current at which the meter is most accurate.

The second digit is the recommended maximum current.

Whilst exceeding the maximum current probably won't place your meter into orbit it may affect the accuracy and you can bet it won't read low.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I absolutely amazed by people that can live without A/C at this time of year, how on earth can that be comfortable? 

Not everybody is the same. When I am really hot in 40c of heat, I have a fan with its fixed direction on me. It is enough. I can tolerate the heat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChrisKC said:

Not everybody is the same. When I am really hot in 40c of heat, I have a fan with its fixed direction on me. It is enough. I can tolerate the heat.

Tolerating and being comfortable are completely different.

I could tolerate walking without shoes but i don't.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Ours electricity bill is about 7000-10000 baht.

7AC’s in the house.

2 Run at night (Main BR and Son’s BR)

2 Run in the day time (main living room)

Also, Fridges, Oven, TV’s, Lights, Computers.

At the moment while it is very hot there is nearly always at least 2 AC’s running at anyone time,

Same here. When this Virus is all over I will get solar.

5 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

And I am sure if you had free electric you would still do the same ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Meters are indeed incredibly robust and will take a (very) large overload.

The first digit is the calibration current at which the meter is most accurate.

The second digit is the recommended maximum current.

Whilst exceeding the maximum current probably won't place your meter into orbit it may affect the accuracy and you can bet it won't read low.

The meter current capacity and rating are not related, domestic supply is in the order of 60 Amps, and that depends on the cable used, minimum is 6 sq mm.

The difference between the meters is to do with the measurement, the mechanism in the 5/15 meter has increments of 0.1kwH whereas the 15/45 has increments of 1KwH and a different tariff is applied. The wattmeter would measure the power used whatever the current as long as within cable capacity but your point on accuracy is quite valid

In a previous life I used to test and calibrate test equipment with standard cells and all that, but it was along time ago.

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Tolerating and being comfortable are completely different.

I could tolerate walking without shoes but i don't.

OK  I change my wording, I am NOT uncomfortable in the heat! In fact I will go one better and tell you I go cycling in 40c of heat up to 50kms, as recently as two days ago. And I will go out again today and do about 40kms.

Not good for you, but then you are not the same as me. I am not bragging, my body tells me I am fine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 448glb said:

4 minutes ago, 448glb said:

You are not sure, you are guessing! inferring, perhaps, that I use a fan because I am doing it on the cheap. That is not my reason. Read my comment again and believe what I actually said.