Odeon Cinemas Will Not Show Universal Pictures After Row Over Theatrical Releases

snoop1130

Odeon Cinemas Will Not Show Universal Pictures After Row Over Theatrical Releases

By TOM WOOD

bnb.PNG

AMC Theatres, the world's largest cinema chain and the owners of Odeon Cinemas in the UK, has announced that it will no longer show Universal Pictures films in an argument over theatrical releases.

Because all cinemas have been closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, some studios have been releasing films that otherwise would have seen a theatrical release online and on-demand.

After NBCUniversal's boss Jeff Shell remarked on the success of the video on-demand release of Trolls World Tour earlier this month, during which it earned $100m (£80m), he added that the company might choose to release films simultaneously on video on-demand as well as in theatres.

This prompted a response from Adam Aron, the boss of cinema chain AMC, who said that the company wanted to 'have its cake and eat it too', and added that his theatres will no longer show Universal Pictures films when the theatres re-open.

Full Story: https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/tv-and-film-odeon-cinemas-will-no-longer-show-universal-pictures-after-trolls-row-20200429

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Does anyone still go to the cinema?

i like going to the cinema. Big screen, great sound system, and a nice comfy chair.

I just wish they would not have the air con so cold in some  of them. The one's in Bangkok seem the worst  for that.

Absolute genius. Cinemas already doing poorly. Then came covid19 and social distancing. Then the economic crash.

Now the chain is reducing what it's showing and eliminating top box office draws.

Well done Britain.

17 minutes ago, phetphet said:

i like going to the cinema. Big screen, great sound system, and a nice comfy chair.

I just wish they would not have the air con so cold in some  of them. The one's in Bangkok seem the worst  for that.

It's been years but cinema here is too cold and painfully loud. I never understood why it has to be so loud.... and I'm old and hearing not what it once was.

Many of us still love the cinema experience. However, it would be more enjoyable if they did not blast the AC to near Arctic temps, here in Thailand. Why they are so hellbent on spending that extra 25,000 baht every month on AC is beyond me. Things might change now. I would guess ticket sales will be way, way down for the next few years. You wean someone of a habit, and it is hard to say if things will just go back to normal. You shut down an economy deliberately, and the consequences of that insanity is totally unforeseen. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of us still love the cinema experience. However, it would be more enjoyable if they did not blast the AC to near Arctic temps, here in Thailand.

However works excellent for films with an arctic – or similar freezing cold – storyline, it's called 4D...????

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've lost interest in the Cinema, the new films don't hold my attention.

In the US, there is a vast selection of foreign and independent films in the cinema. Here, there are a very limited number of choices, and they tend to be the big films. I think either the booking agents here are very lazy, or the public here is only interested in the silly franchise type films. Either way, it leaves many of us with few choices, and I cannot count the number of times I have wanted to see a film in the cinema here, and there was absolutely nothing of interest. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All poop!

Hollywood has killed the world's movie industry.

I recently read that with China now being the largest market for Hollywood, all they are willing to release are big mega films, with virtually no content, that pass the Chinese censors. A rather substantial bit of cultural degradation. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1