Infant Car Seat

KrisJ

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A different branch of the same topic...

I'm renting a car to take wife, parents and 5 month old son to Kanchanaburi (from BK) for a weekend soon. I have found where to rent a baby seat from, but am wondering what car to hire. As we haven't used a car seat before, I'm wondering how much room they take up. There will be four adults as well as the baby seat - do you think would there be enough room in a typical Toyota saloon to travel in comfort, or should I be looking for a bigger car.

(Apologies if this question is as dumb as it sounded when I read it back to myself)

The kids seat needs to be on the left or right, not in the middle as that only has the lap belt, they need to have the lap and shoulder section to secure it properly, so a saloon depends if you think the fourth person sitting in the middle will be comfy.

We have done it with 2 kids seats and someone in the middle and it is fine, but we had a 4wd, even so a big or medium saloom is still big enough in the rear.

Also plenty of car companies have kids seats for hire, either 100 or 200 per day generally.

The kids seat needs to be on the left or right, not in the middle as that only has the lap belt, they need to have the lap and shoulder section to secure it properly, so a saloon depends if you think the fourth person sitting in the middle will be comfy.

We have done it with 2 kids seats and someone in the middle and it is fine, but we had a 4wd, even so a big or medium saloom is still big enough in the rear.

Also plenty of car companies have kids seats for hire, either 100 or 200 per day generally.

Sorry but your information is outdated if you have a base and seat combination.

The saftest place is actually in the middle if you have the new locators which are connected to the car body / chassis. We have a new D-Max and the child seat base is permanently in the back in the middle and it is connected with two strips to the rear of the truck and also uses the lap belt to give even more protection against movement.

I wholeheartedly suggest either getting a base and removeable seat or putting the seat in permanently and not moving the baby in and out with the seat. That way you can use the new technology and be safe in the knowledge that you have the seat as secure as possible each and every time you take the baby out.

A side note advantage is that it makes it easier for 2 adults to sit in the back.

I believe he was talking about a hire car...if so then he will not have the anchors, nor will the car hire company, nor will they be bothered to fit it all even if in the slightest smallest tiniest chance they did have it.

I had a car baby capsule type in Oz, anchored to the rear with 2 straps as you mention and it still fitted better in a car and was more secure in the side seats with the shoulder and lap belts.

Regardless, he is renting and will not have what you describe so side seats would still be best I think.

As for where to rent....told you already....car hire companies have them.

If you only want the seat and you have your own car....no idea...why not buy one.

I do not have a car, I rent when we want to go somewhere or away. I used to rely on the car companies kids seats, but they became unreliable. So last trip I bought 2 great seats at Central. I figured the cost will be recouped in less than a couple of years from the rental cost, kids safer and if I eventually get a car then I have them already.

• 5 months later...

I am looking to buy an infant seat - either 9kg up or 0-18kg for a Toyota Fortuner.

Does anyone have any experience of baby/infact seats in that car ? And any recommendations (either good or bad !). I have been looking at the Cool Kids "Kato". The website mentions the european standard for car seats - but i am not clear if there car seats meet it or not.

Does anyone know if the Fortuner has the ISOFIX system so that you dont need to use the seatbelt.

Cheers and Thanks

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

Well I might be a freak, but when I needed my sons new seat I called my mother in Canada, had her pick up a nice CSA approved Graco at Sears and mail it to me. Cost more to mail then to buy but I sleep better at night. I was not willing to take the chance of it being a knock off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

NO child of any age should sit ahead of the driver , very dangerous .On the rare occassions i carried any of my children on my motor-cycle , they wore a crash helmet and were strapped to me , any child sitting unharnessed or without a crash helmet is in dire danger , parents should be fined and their license suspended to teach them the error of their ways .

• 4 weeks later...
If you don't get a baby seat, make sure that if anyone holds the baby in the front seat, to do it strongly with two arms.

If carrying a baby on a motorcycle, put the baby between the front and back big passengers. The person behind holding.

Don't let the toddler sit on the front holding on to the handlebars until they are at least 2.

Never carry kids in the back of a pickup, it's very dangerous.

OMG!!! Unbelievable! Sorry, but I couldn't help but respond.

It is NEVER okay to carry any child on a motorbike. And letting any child hold the handlebars (assuming you let them on the motorbike in the first place) is unspeakable. Wait until their at least 2??? Oh...that must be the age at which they are qualified to steer.

And so we are to believe that carrying kids in the back of a truck is "very dangerous", but on a motorbike is okay.

Moms...do what's right. Never put them on a motorbike or in the back of a truck. Call a taxi and use a quality carseat. That is being the best mom you can be. After all, its about the safety of your children...and nothing else!

Sorry if I seemed condescending...but I assume most Westerners knew the difference. Many Thai's have simply not been properly educated on keeping their babies safe. Perhaps helping them understand the dangers might save a life.

:o

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you don't get a baby seat, make sure that if anyone holds the baby in the front seat, to do it strongly with two arms.

If carrying a baby on a motorcycle, put the baby between the front and back big passengers. The person behind holding.

Don't let the toddler sit on the front holding on to the handlebars until they are at least 2.

It is NEVER okay to carry any child on a motorbike. And letting any child hold the handlebars (assuming you let them on the motorbike in the first place) is unspeakable. Wait until their at least 2??? Oh...that must be the age at which they are qualified to steer.

And so we are to believe that carrying kids in the back of a truck is "very dangerous", but on a motorbike is okay.

Moms...do what's right. Never put them on a motorbike or in the back of a truck. Call a taxi and use a quality carseat. That is being the best mom you can be. After all, its about the safety of your children...and nothing else!

Sorry if I seemed condescending...but I assume most Westerners knew the difference. Many Thai's have simply not been properly educated on keeping their babies safe. Perhaps helping them understand the dangers might save a life.

:o

I was going to make a similar reply, but assumed the post was either a wind up or from a Thai.

• 1 month later...

Despite living with me for coming around to 4 years my missus would still drive a motorbike without a helmet, probably take the baby (20 months) in a car without a car seat and might even take her on a motorbike if she knew or thought I was not around.

We have a truck, fitted proper baby seat (in the back) so there is no excuse.

It is like them getting bitten by Soi dogs or having scars from accidents, it is the Thai way and despite being given all the advantages, they still cannot see why some things are important and the revert to type. If I had not insisted on a baby seat, there is no way on earth she would have bought one.

• 9 months later...

Bargain Child Seats at Tesco - maybe at many branches, worth a look!

Hi everyone, I noticed Tesco (Bang Kapi) changing their baby-area stock and scored a bargain car seat for my son. I bought a 'Les Enfants' branded car seat, but it was the display model so only 900baht instead of 4,000. It seems that Tescos are changing stock and I can't see any other infant seats. I thought I'd share this tip as other Tesco stores may have similar unsold items. Happy hunting!

Bargain Child Seats at Tesco - maybe at many branches, worth a look!

Hi everyone, I noticed Tesco (Bang Kapi) changing their baby-area stock and scored a bargain car seat for my son. I bought a 'Les Enfants' branded car seat, but it was the display model so only 900baht instead of 4,000. It seems that Tescos are changing stock and I can't see any other infant seats. I thought I'd share this tip as other Tesco stores may have similar unsold items. Happy hunting!

900 baht? I don't think an infant car seat is something you want to get cheap on. Look for name brand and never buy anything made in Thailand or China. Japan or Farangland only.

• 4 weeks later...

Neeranam, I know you are only trying to help, but it is never safe to carry a baby in any seat of any car.

In a 50km/h crash, a 10-pound infant slams forward with a force of 300 pounds. It is just as though the baby fell from a third-story window. An unrestrained child can be thrown against the inside of the vehicle, or out of the vehicle, with enough force to cause serious injury or death.

Holding a child on your lap may seem comforting, but it is not safe. At 50 km/h, a 125-pound adult smashes forward with a force of nearly two tons. A child on an adult's lap can be crushed between the adult and the dashboard. And research proves that seat-belted adults holding a dummy "baby" in mock test crashes cannot hold onto the dummy. This is true even when they know when the "crash" will occur. The "baby-in-arms" seating position is not safe.

No adult, no matter how strong, can hold onto a baby in a car crash. The sooner that ALL parents understand this, the sooner that good quality carriers will become available at reasonable prices, and the sooner more

babies will live into adulthood.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Daewo, thanks for pointing that out. I was pointing out the lesser of two evils.

All the comments so far I can safely assume was made my expats earning a big fat salary!

What is one to do that does not earn a fat expat salary! Have you seen the prices of these 'must have' car seats! It's like paying off a car! Some people just simply can not afford these car seats. They also love their children and want what is best and safest for them, but some just do not have the unlimited funds you guys have. Some people just have to settle for what they can actually afford, if they can afford it at all.

You expats that go to other countries and earn these huge salaries, have forgotten where you come from, and the reality of other peoples lives! Stop criticizing and condemning for a moment, and realize that not all people live on your level. And guess what, it's okey...

:)

I was going to make a similar reply, but assumed the post was either a wind up or from a Thai.

Come on guys! Can you really be this naive. Have you ever, just for a slight second, considered that perhaps they could not afford to call a taxi to go wherever they wanted? Or to buy a car seat that costs you almost as much as the car? What are you doing in these third world countries? Do you walk with blinkers on? Or do you just choose not to see the poverty around you? Catch a wake-up call! Do you really think that mothers would put their kids in harms way on purpose? Did you ever consider that this might be their only option?

Come on guys! Can you really be this naive. Have you ever, just for a slight second, considered that perhaps they could not afford to call a taxi to go wherever they wanted? Or to buy a car seat that costs you almost as much as the car? What are you doing in these third world countries? Do you walk with blinkers on? Or do you just choose not to see the poverty around you? Catch a wake-up call! Do you really think that mothers would put their kids in harms way on purpose? Did you ever consider that this might be their only option?

Sure there is villagers that don't have the financial means. But what about the hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of families owning a car that simply take new borns out of hospital by placing them in the back seat of pick up truck or their sedan? And continue to do so for the years coming. How many child have lost their life or injured seriously just due to ignorance of their parents and/or lack of knowledge and common sense.

If you can afford to buy 500K car you certainly can afford to drop by in Tesco for 5K car seat. Same goes with bikes in cities, if you can afford to buy 30K bike you certainly can affod to take the 5 baht public bus to town where your kid is much safer than hanging in the handlebars.

Visit Bangkok or any other city in Thailand and you shall see...

it is all about a question of priorities.

If you can afford a car, you can afford a car seat. Simple really. My kids are priceless, and if it means I sacrifice something else, then so be it.

signed - someone not on an expat salary.

since when did a car seat cost the same as a car? I picked up a great new born car seat in Koh saui when my son was 3 months old & it cost 3k baht. Hardly in the same price realm of a 200k baht 2nd hand old pick up truck???

• 4 months later...

My twins were born 6 days ago and were just transferred out of the NICU into the normal care nursery today. My son is likely to be coming home late next week or early the following week, and my daughter should follow about a week or two after. They were born 8 weeks premature so it all depends on how quickly they can learn to eat. Other than their sucking reflex being undeveloped and my daughter in particular being really small, they seem normal and healthy.

This raises the question of how I am going to get them home. I *REALLY* do not have 20k to spend on infant car seats. Please do not tell me I don't love my children because of this, or that my family should starve for 2 months in order to pay this. All the safety in the world does nothing if we are all dead from hunger. I get the feeling some posters on this board have no idea what it is like to truly struggle.  That spending 7k per seat for 2 car seats at Central means nothing more than giving up an afternoon of caviar at the club. I love my children with all my heart, and that is why I am trying to find any solution other than doing without. But I need 2 seats in the maximum 1000 - 2000 baht range. I understand these may not be the highest German engineered quality, but for those of us who are struggling financially it is a matter of having something vs. nothing at all.

Does anyone know of a place that sells second hand infant car seats? Barring that, what inexpensive options are available in Thailand, and where do I find them?

• 2 weeks later...

^ my only suggestion is to ask @ a few shops that sell infant/childrens clothes, not the large department stores. They might have one or two used ones. I saw one in Chiang Mai for 3000 baht second hand, it was for a toddler aged 6 months, but was sold next time we went back.

Its a shame that import tax is placed on items such as infant child seats

Neeranam, I know you are only trying to help, but it is never safe to carry a baby in any seat of any car.

In a 50km/h crash, a 10-pound infant slams forward with a force of 300 pounds. It is just as though the baby fell from a third-story window. An unrestrained child can be thrown against the inside of the vehicle, or out of the vehicle, with enough force to cause serious injury or death.

Holding a child on your lap may seem comforting, but it is not safe. At 50 km/h, a 125-pound adult smashes forward with a force of nearly two tons. A child on an adult's lap can be crushed between the adult and the dashboard. And research proves that seat-belted adults holding a dummy "baby" in mock test crashes cannot hold onto the dummy. This is true even when they know when the "crash" will occur. The "baby-in-arms" seating position is not safe.

No adult, no matter how strong, can hold onto a baby in a car crash. The sooner that ALL parents understand this, the sooner that good quality carriers will become available at reasonable prices, and the sooner more

babies will live into adulthood.

Cheers,

Daewoo

Daewo, thanks for pointing that out. I was pointing out the lesser of two evils.

All the comments so far I can safely assume was made my expats earning a big fat salary!

What is one to do that does not earn a fat expat salary! Have you seen the prices of these 'must have' car seats! It's like paying off a car! Some people just simply can not afford these car seats. They also love their children and want what is best and safest for them, but some just do not have the unlimited funds you guys have. Some people just have to settle for what they can actually afford, if they can afford it at all.

You expats that go to other countries and earn these huge salaries, have forgotten where you come from, and the reality of other peoples lives! Stop criticizing and condemning for a moment, and realize that not all people live on your level. And guess what, it's okey...

Well said. Although I have plenty money I don't go over the top regarding safety. I don't wrap my kids in cotton wool - it's good to give them some freedom. My mother recently commented on my teenage son on a motorbike with no helmet. I reminded her that all her kids used to rode around with no helmets on our land in oz.

Please leave that stupid western attitude at your own country. Much better to drive slow with no seat belt than to drive fast with one.

Thai people have faith that whatevr is meant tto happen does. Do you not have faith in god , Buddha etc?

Maybe that's why all those farang and all their safety gadgets are so fill of anxiety all the time .

• 4 months later...

I bought a Cool Kids car seat from Central. Cost 5000 (or maybe 4500 after discounts) and it supports kids all the way from infant to 4 years old, it has several different adjustments and inserts that can be changed as the kid grows. I didn't want to buy a new seat each year.

However when bringing our son out of the hospital (with a doctor and nurse helping us to the door) the doc/nurse and wife were all protesting that it was "dangerous" to put him in the car seat and wife should hold him.

I stuck to my guns (as i'd done research online previously about the dangers of no car seat) and demanded he placed in the car...to their surprise he fit in there really snugly and looked very secure, and he didn't mind a bit.

And this was at a fairly upscale private Bangkok hospital, it seems that car seat education has not yet caught on in Thailand.

The price of some car seat is pretty crazy though. Initially we were looking at Paragon and there were car seats costing 50K!

Edited by dave111223

Anyone know of a good baby car seat that fits well into the Bangkok taxis (Toyota Altis/Vios)?

We do not have car. Do you think a car is needed in Bangkok for a couple with a new born?

We are doing fine without a car at the moment, pre-baby.