Trump threatens new tariffs on China as U.S. mulls retaliatory action over virus

webfact

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you real?

Let's look what else we should boycott?

- America because of their crazy MAGA leader who spreads misinformation. He is at least as much responsible for the million infected Americans than China.

- Saudi Arabia and many other countries in that area because of the human right record.

- Vietnam because they eat dogs over there.

- X because they to Y

- The list goes on an on.

But let's face reality and be realistic. How much would an iPhone cost if it would be produced inside the USA by US citizens? And how many people would pay that price?

I rest my case.

Of course I'm real, why do think I'm not? Because I don't sing the praises of the CCP on an internet forum or because I don't want nor own a Chinese mobile phone!

Those countries' internal policies do not affect the rest of the world.

How is Trump responsible for infected Americans? He did not introduce CV19 into their lives.

We should keep out of the Islamic affairs of nations like Saudi Arabia, it does not affect us. That's none of our business. Look at the mess you all made with our help in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the cost of tens of thousands of our young mens' lives.

Who cares if the Viets eat dogs! People in London eat jellied eels. Thais eat water beetles and scorpions. It does not hurt you.

It's not necessary to have an iphone, I don't have one and I survive OK without one. I still use an 11 year old Nokia C2!

Like countless millions of others I'm in 'lockdown' for the foreseeable future and have been for weeks. I'd sooner pay a bit more for my electronic stuff or buy it from someone else than have to live like this to keep the Chinese sweet. They've only got contempt for us anyway especially you Americans.

60,000 of your people have died because of this virus as have 30,000 of mine. That's just so far. 

Are you not angry with the Chinese, I am. But I suppose if you value your electronic gadgetry more than the lives of your fellow citizens then I suppose it's much easier to blame Trump than it is to blame the people who are really responsible because they'll then continue to sell you cheap iphones and computers.

58 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Of course I'm real, why do think I'm not? Because I don't sing the praises of the CCP on an internet forum or because I don't want nor own a Chinese mobile phone!

Those countries' internal policies do not affect the rest of the world.

How is Trump responsible for infected Americans? He did not introduce CV19 into their lives.

We should keep out of the Islamic affairs of nations like Saudi Arabia, it does not affect us. That's none of our business. Look at the mess you all made with our help in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the cost of tens of thousands of our young mens' lives.

Who cares if the Viets eat dogs! People in London eat jellied eels. Thais eat water beetles and scorpions. It does not hurt you.

It's not necessary to have an iphone, I don't have one and I survive OK without one. I still use an 11 year old Nokia C2!

Like countless millions of others I'm in 'lockdown' for the foreseeable future and have been for weeks. I'd sooner pay a bit more for my electronic stuff or buy it from someone else than have to live like this to keep the Chinese sweet. They've only got contempt for us anyway especially you Americans.

60,000 of your people have died because of this virus as have 30,000 of mine. That's just so far. 

Are you not angry with the Chinese, I am. But I suppose if you value your electronic gadgetry more than the lives of your fellow citizens then I suppose it's much easier to blame Trump than it is to blame the people who are really responsible because they'll then continue to sell you cheap iphones and computers.

It seems you confuse me with an American. I am definitely no citizen of that strange country.

The Chinese published the information about the virus. Maybe a little late but in January the information was out and everybody who wanted to listen could listen.

I don't blame the Chinese. A new virus could come out anywhere in the world.

And it's up to each individual country how and how fast and how efficient they react to such a challenge.

Blaming one country is like: You started it. We did that in Kindergarten. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, KhunFred said:

There is absolutely no positive outcome from instituting new tariffs. We will pay more for everything as a result.

Tariffs are proven to stifle economic activity. I can only hope Trump's tariffs are a tactic and not an ongoing policy. This is one of several key areas I disagree with him on.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems you confuse me with an American. I am definitely no citizen of that strange country.

The Chinese published the information about the virus. Maybe a little late but in January the information was out and everybody who wanted to listen could listen.

I don't blame the Chinese. A new virus could come out anywhere in the world.

And it's up to each individual country how and how fast and how efficient they react to such a challenge.

Blaming one country is like: You started it. We did that in Kindergarten. 

*Deleted

Edited by Crazy Alex

45 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Tariffs are proven to stifle economic activity. I can only hope Trump's tariffs are a tactic and not an ongoing policy. This is one of several key areas I disagree with him on.

Stocks are down 3 days running since Trump started with this tariff nonsense. This is obviously an intent to  divert attention from his negligence in handling the pandemic. Canada knew about the situation in China in late Dec 2019. No way the Trump administration didn't know as early as that or sooner. I agree with this  commentator who compares Trump's threats with what took place in the United States in 1932  triggering the great depression. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/cramer-says-trump-cant-raise-tariffs-on-china-with-30-million-unemployed-that-is-1932.html

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Stocks are down 3 days running since Trump started with this tariff nonsense. This is obviously an intent to  divert attention from his negligence in handling the pandemic. Canada knew about the situation in China in late Dec 2019. No way the Trump administration didn't know as early as that or sooner. I agree with this  commentator who compares Trump's threats with what took place in the United States in 1932  triggering the great depression. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/cramer-says-trump-cant-raise-tariffs-on-china-with-30-million-unemployed-that-is-1932.html

It's so obvious. The economic situation is critical enough. No need to make it worse with stupid tariffs.

The stable genius, his words, not mine, still does not understand that China does not pay the tariffs, the US government doesn't pay the tariffs, the manufacturers don't pay the tariffs, the shippers don't pay the tariffs, the wholesalers and retailers don't pay the tariffs,

THE CONSUMERS PAY THE TARIFFS

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yogi100 said:

So it's entirely irrelevant that the leaders of some country acted a lot sooner and have a lot better results?

• Like 1