02 : Building a house - Nong Kung Si - Initial Research Questions

Sounds like we will be neighbours my house is in a village in the same area. 

My build was a few years my wife's family built it (They are all in trade). Surprisingly, they done a good job only a few minor snags. 

As you may know the area does suffer from frequent outages of electric and water so you may consider this (i.e Solar power, water tanks etc) 

I've never heard of giving the police money to keep an eye on it. So I wouldn't do this. There are many farang in the area with houses of all shapes and sizes and I don't one who pay this. 

Good luck with build hope it all goes well. 

5 hours ago, magicroundabout said:

I've never heard of giving the police money to keep an eye on it. So I wouldn't do this.

Actually this is a normal police service and totally above board - they attach a red sign box on outside of gate that roving police will then sign as checked with date/time for a set fee.  

• Like 2

Now is definitely the time to look at your power requirements. Once you show the floor plans we can do a quick-and-dirty load calculation.

From what you've already said I suspect you may be needing 3-phase as most village supplies won't go above 45A (about 10kW) but once you have some loadings you can go to PEA and ask what they can do. Avoid having your own transformer if at all possible  = $$$ (and it never actually belongs to you).

If you think you may want a genset or solar (point that car port in the right direction) make the wiring arrangements now, much easier than retro-fitting later.

By the way, I would NOT use those "universal" outlets except a couple in guest bedrooms. They don't have the contact area for reliable operation on larger loads (kettle, microwave, welder etc.) and they often don't work too well after having a UK plug inserted.

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

and they often don't work too well after having a UK plug inserted

And most do not even make contact with a two round pin plug as metal tips will be below the outlet contact metal.  So have to insert part way to operate.

European 2-pin Plug for Most CPAP Machines | EU-PAP

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually this is a normal police service and totally above board - they attach a red sign box on outside of gate that roving police will then sign as checked with date/time for a set fee.  

I'll take it back its just something I've never heard about. On the face of it sounds a good idea.