Thailand to lift alcohol sales ban on Sunday

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Personally I could care less.

However, I did enjoy the triggered Thai Visa posts over the past few days.

How much less could you care?  Don't keep us in suspense too long.  I'll have to drink my way through the tension!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimn said:

How is that relevant? Alcohol is a small part of their business.

this is your answer.

6 minutes ago, Nsp64 said:

The proposed ban was never going to happen.

It was a threat to get the breweries in line after prayut sent them a letter asking for the top 20 to  chip in.

He got rebuffed so gave them a hint of what could happen.

Chip in or lose a hell of a lot more. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteezyP said:

Oh my! But why do I still have lingering doubts? What could change between now and Sunday!

Just do not believe , what you read .

Fake news , again and again ...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

this is your answer.

Might be true, sounds like pure speculation to me. Again where is the source of that information? Until its provided it remains rumour.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

all the worlds weed smokers feel like this..

alcoholics just joined us for a 20 days and lost their sh!t ????

Do you mean weed addicts? Otherwise, the comparison is between weed smokers and alcohol drinkers (not alcoholics). Substance abuse is a whole other issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

No it wasn't, and it never has been. Only days alcohol sales are banned are official Buddha holidays and election days. Best to quit while you're behind. 

It was and you are behind in your history knowledge. Bars were closed on Dec 5th, I know because I used to own one. Let's just agree to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, jimn said:

Might be true, sounds like pure speculation to me. Again where is the source of that information? Until its provided it remains rumour.

Notice in the Royal Thai Gazette.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jimn said:

How is that relevant? Alcohol is a small part of their business.

Makro and 7-11 are owned by CP.
Many small shops buy their booze from Makro.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

It was and you are behind in your history knowledge. Bars were closed on Dec 5th, I know because I used to own one. Let's just agree to disagree. 

You may have been in a district where bars locally were expected to close. Some do, but in Bangkok and Pattaya most are open as normal.

Alcohol has never been banned nationally on December 5th - there are many online mentions of this on google, here's one from Phuket. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-booze-ban-on-hm-the-king-birthday-55234.php

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It may have something to do with the apparent huge surge in drug usage. My sons friend was driving for Grab and selling a bit of weed on the side. Since the booze ban he has given up his job as business in the green sector is booming apparently and he makes way more just with the bud.

Still wears his grab jacket etc as cops never stop food riders he says. The booze ban which may have saved a few hundred infections, may have unwittingly created another million or two drug addicts. That would be a serious policy fail, if ever I heard of one.

That's what they have been doing in London by all accounts but using ubereats & deliveroo outfits.

New York mafia used pizza deliver in the 70's & were the forefathers of this kind of delivery enterprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

What year?  I've been here 10 years, and they were open every 5 December with the possible exception of one.  The religious holidays are always different and dry.

https://bodegahostels.com/blog/thai-holidays/

• Like 1

The fact is the government and him lose tremendous money and popularity if they have any face left. 

But the reality is just in the news is the government gives 1 free day of selling On the 3rd and then it is purely up to each governor to say continue or stop or pull the plug at will. 
Very Cheesy at best. 

3 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

What year?  I've been here 10 years, and they were open every 5 December with the possible exception of one.  The religious holidays are always different and dry.

https://bodegahostels.com/blog/thai-holidays/

Well I certainly recall the bars being closed on 5 December but I haven’t been near the bars for 11 years but before that many years

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Just throwing in my 2 cents, but if you want to quit alcohol for good, there is a drug that’s available over the counter cheap called Gabapentin. It operates on the same gamma-Aminobutyric acid receptors as Alcohol and makes withdrawal and cravings a trivial ordeal. This drug is a miracle cure for alcoholism and as an added bonus, it lifts your mood and makes you chatty like booze does.

You can use it recreationally and it’s an incredibly safe drug, you would need to take quite a bit of 300mg pills to even approach bodily harm. I take about a dozen a day spaced out over the entire day. It’s original use is an anti-convulsant and anti-seizure drug, but studies have shown its beneficial for alcoholism and alcohol cravings. You won’t be drunk, but you also won’t want to be drunk because your GABA receptors will be plumb-full of Gabapentin and it will zap your alcohol cravings like you can’t believe. This drug help me quit alcohol for good, now I’m down to having an occasional glass of wine with my girlfriend when we feel like it.

Alcohol was really messing with my sleep, I would only get about 4 hours of sleep if I was lucky, and I would spend hours awake in bed trying to get back to sleep. GABA is incredibly important for your wellbeing and Alcohol fries them with enough abuse. You can heal them, but it’s going to be a long and painful journey of sleeplessness and other bad things.

Getting loaded everyday is not a good thing, and I really am concerned with some of the members here, seems like they thrown in the towel in life and just resigned themselves to being drunk as a sailor all day and that they can’t live without booze. 

Try Gabapentin. Start off with 600mg and work your way up to 900mg. It takes a few days to really take effect so keep dosing daily and eventually you will feel it’s effects and your withdrawal of alcohol will be less painful and the cravings will be less severe. 

I am not a doctor I’m just telling you my story and how this drug was a miracle cure for me to quit drinking for good. I was downing a fifth of vodka or sangsom everyday and sometimes would go back to the store drunk as a skunk and get another small bottle of sangsom and drink that as well. Alcohol is the devil and it’s going to ruin your life if you abuse it like I was.

Stop rubbish. Rubbish post

43 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You may have been in a district where bars locally were expected to close. Some do, but in Bangkok and Pattaya most are open as normal.

Alcohol has never been banned nationally on December 5th - there are many online mentions of this on google, here's one from Phuket. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-booze-ban-on-hm-the-king-birthday-55234.php

yes probably a district thing as you say but for sure there were restrictions around those dates. All good, Sunday we live again...maybe. 

• Like 1

Just now, HandsomeTallFarang said:

You’re free to look up the studies yourself, why would I lie about this? Someone’s a little cranky because he didn’t get his daily pint?

Mainly because your giving rubbish advice.

Perhaps you have addictive personality that has issues to alcohol and whatever.

I'm currently on private island. Just finished my quota for the night. Few Chang along with few Sangson. 

No problems here. 

I don't need to look up studies. Well aware of addictive issues in many folk where control is no control.

There is specific forum on Thaivisa for alcohol addiction. Check it out.

• Like 1

Could it be that the breweries have coughed up enoug dosh for new tanks, submaries and Rolexes? 

I'll believe it when I see the ice melting in my glass of beer Chang Sunday evening. They could do yet another u-turn and change their minds yet again in the next 24 hours. Wouldn't surprise me one iota. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

i read it in a Thai news paper. it is a fact. 

• Haha 1