Thailand to lift alcohol sales ban on Sunday

12 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

Creating ANOTHER MILLION OR TWO DRUG ADDICTS!?!? Seriously? Do you still really believe those "Reefer Madness" messages that cannabis is addictive? Haven't you heard that it's been accepted by the vast majority of the world as a much safer substance than booze, that it isn't addictive like alcohol is, and that it has genuine medical benefits? It saddens my heart to see posts like this, offering an unfair comment against cannabis when so many of us are trying to promote its benefits.  

Well, it seems that since I don't know anything about darksidedog, I have misinterpreted his comments about drug addicts to be serious rather than sarcastic, and I replied a bit harshly. I can see how people who are regularly active here could assume that we know their particular style of humor, but for us who come and go, not really paying much attention to who's who, I've suggested that a little "wink" or "smile" emoji would be helpful.

And now, back to the intended booze discussion. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

However the final decision in each province rests with the local governor.

"General Somsak Rungsita, Secretary-General of the National Security Council, said that from the issue Liquors and spirits can be bought back from the store. But can not sit and drink in the shop Effective on May 3, which is expected on May 2, B.E., will declare all details again. Which the Ministry of Interior will coordinate with the provincial governor To understand the aforementioned measures And is the power of the provincial governor to consider and approve in each area again."

What?

33 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It may have something to do with the apparent huge surge in drug usage. My sons friend was driving for Grab and selling a bit of weed on the side. Since the booze ban he has given up his job as business in the green sector is booming apparently and he makes way more just with the bud.

Still wears his grab jacket etc as cops never stop food riders he says. The booze ban which may have saved a few hundred infections, may have unwittingly created another million or two drug addicts. That would be a serious policy fail, if ever I heard of one.

It was certainly easier to buy drugs than to buy alcohol once the mom and pop stores ran out.

Didn't find any bud, but plenty of crystal meth.

Edited by BritManToo

44 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is Coronation Day, normally on the 5th, but this year it is celebrated on May 4th. Non-Alcohol day..

https://thailandretirementplans.com/2019/08/02/buddha-days-public-holidays-and-non-alcohol-days-2020/

Information in the link is incorrect. Royal holidays are not Buddha holidays, alcohol ban is not applicable.

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. The junta just learned a new trick. Expect this ban to be repeated the next time Prayut doesn't get his own way.

I'm not a huge drinker but I will be stocking vast amounts of alcohol from now on just so if he bans it again I can get wasted every single day of the ban as my own private celebration of anti fascism and libertarianism. 

Well if I run out I know where to find some more booze. 555

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Will be interesting to see the number of days if they go down that road.

Of course if it's abused it will be quickly brought back.

Why confused or sad. If people start buying then end up on the beach in groups or having boozie noisy parties etc etc then the reaction could be shut the sales again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Will be interesting to see the number of days if they go down that road.

Of course if it's abused it will be quickly brought back.

The news in English is ambiguous but what I'm hearing from Thai sources is that it will be for one day only: Sunday the 3rd.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Save money? Personally I've been buying and drinking about my usual amount. 

I've been buying my usual amount at double the price...save money, get t f. ????

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

It may have something to do with the apparent huge surge in drug usage. My sons friend was driving for Grab and selling a bit of weed on the side. Since the booze ban he has given up his job as business in the green sector is booming apparently and he makes way more just with the bud.

Still wears his grab jacket etc as cops never stop food riders he says. The booze ban which may have saved a few hundred infections, may have unwittingly created another million or two drug addicts. That would be a serious policy fail, if ever I heard of one.

Does he deliver to Rayong?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, stubby52 said:

no drinking alcohol in restaurants don't they realise that it can be over half of the profit margins come from this. TIT

In our Thai restaurant in the UK, the rule of thumb was that if the bill was 50% food and 50 % alcohol then the customers had a good time.