Thailand to allow alcohol sales after three-week ban: officials

rooster59

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Well that should stop a few hands from shaking! :thumbsup:

Or not. The official announcement also included this:

"Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said allowing the sale of alcohol reflected a “general relaxation” for the whole country.

“But Bangkok and some provinces can extend the ban if they think lifting it will do more harm than good,” he said."

I was just in Tops and Makro in Phayao. The signs are up no alcohol sales from 1/05/2563 until 31/05/2563. In Makro they even made an announcement to this effect. Looks like Phayao's governor is a non drinker.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

I was just in Tops and Makro in Phayao. The signs are up no alcohol sales from 1/05/2563 until 31/05/2563. In Makro they even made an announcement to this effect. Looks like Phayao's governor is a non drinker.

Think on a positive note that those signs will be taken down tomorrow ????

I hope this is true and not something that the provisional governors have yet to anounce on...and they are hardly going to be doing that on a weekend?...Will I risk necking my last 6 bottles of cheer tonight?

3 hours ago, franzs said:

I am for some time a member of this forum, it's a good place to get informed, 

but I wonder time and again why so many useless and stupid comments  to topics come from the top posters in this forum,

sometimes it would be better not to post such nonsense at all.......

It is in forums worldwide. Opinionated haters that have not a respectful word for anyone with any authority. They post all the time, which is why they are credited with so many comments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, revup said:

It is in forums worldwide. Opinionated haters that have not a respectful word for anyone with any authority. They post all the time, which is why they are credited with so many comments. 

Are you two starting your own thread within a thread?

• Like 2

It used to be that if you bought more than 10 litres of alcohol this could be done outside of the 2 - 5 pm madness. (I've never understood this one also).

Is this still the case? I have not tried to do this for many years. 

3 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

It used to be that if you bought more than 10 litres of alcohol this could be done outside of the 2 - 5 pm madness.

You need an alcohol license ( bar,hotel etc)  to buy outside the hours now..maybe some places don't strictly check ?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwagner said:

I am going to avoid the Sunday rush and go Monday - but remember - Visakha Bucha Day is on Wednesday - May 6th, so there will be no alcohol sold. Hopefully you all have not emptied the stocks completely. If so, at least it will be the older stuff - provided they rotate the old/new stocks.

1.5 million alcohol-related deaths per year in Thailand alone. Why not take the opportunity to take a day off the sauce? Your choice, but your advice is insane.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Yeah, I was led to believe the 2 - 5 PM ban was about schoolkids, but they are in school then supposedly, so what is the thinking behind it.

The 10 - 4 curfew they can have as long as they like, couldn't give a to$$

8 minutes ago, revup said:

1.5 million alcohol-related deaths per year in Thailand alone. Why not take the opportunity to take a day off the sauce? Your choice, but your advice is insane.

Where does that number come from ?

• Thanks 1

1:30 p.m. Saturday 2 May - doing reconnaissance at Villa Market Pattaya in The Avenue Mall. I asked if they were selling booze the next day, gal said they weren't sure if the parent company (HER words!) were allowing it. Just a heads up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, J Town said:

1:30 p.m. Saturday 2 May - doing reconnaissance at Villa Market Pattaya in The Avenue Mall. I asked if they were selling booze the next day, gal said they weren't sure if the parent company (HER words!) were allowing it. Just a heads up. 

Because that's not 100% sure, that's up to Chonburi's governor now.

He will confirm or not the ban this afternoon.

7 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Nah there was still supply, but the choices were getting less and less and I can imagine people getting desperate.

Alkies will drink anything and maybe that was the problem

Moonshine galore and people getting sick + people travelling further distances to procure said items

The other thing was an inconvenience/annoyance and in recent days price gouging on the black market

Yes, well the USA proved that "Prohibition" doesn't work! "What will you do then?" "I think I'll have a drink" (Elliot Ness - The Untouchables)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katatonic said:

UV - C is a disinfectant.. That's why water filtration systems have UV lamps. There's one on most large boats too as the water is stored in tanks. Sunbeds for people or trying to 'put the light inside them' is a different kettle of fish..

Chlorine's still used as well, but most companies are switching over to UV. People have no idea that they've been drinking bleach for years and if you were born and brought up in the west all the water you drank had it it,  just in a drinkable dose.... 0.2 %....... Safe...... UV can do the same with the body as it's 60 % water...... Old Don's not so daft...... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, revup said:

About twelve thousand deaths on the road each year in Thailand, I doubt if 1.5 million of them are alcohol related.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

About twelve thousand deaths on the road each year in Thailand, I doubt if 1.5 million of them are alcohol related.

only stats I can find are 2.38 deaths per 100,000 in Thailand are alcohol related.

5 hours ago, generealty said:

I for one will be happy to buy a beer and drink at home, which I have not in the month of April. However, I can see how confusing it gets to people when Government makes a decree then less than 24 hours later does a 'U Turn'. They seem to do this regularly, I wonder why ?

I don't know why, but it certainly gives credence to the "Never believe what a politician says" theory!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

I don't believe it was to pressure or gain financial aid from alcohol producers. They simply didn't foresee the backlash it was going to have.

Be grateful and happy they do listen to the people sometimes.

What backlash? Plenty of grumbles but no demos etc. No, I think the alcohol producers/brewery owners had a bit of a say in this, being part of "the richest 20 people in the country" 

9 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I guess they managed to strike a deal for 2 billionaire families to "help" them after all..

I wonder how much had to be added to the piggies trough to get the ban lifted ??

The 7-11 family had already bought a machine from China to make masks and bought Personal protective equipment and supplies for hospitals before PM asked for help.

• Haha 1