Thailand to allow alcohol sales after three-week ban: officials

rooster59

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

What about the province’s that already announced their own bans? 

As a non drinker, IMO alcohol should never be banned at any time, but there should be heavy fines for those who are caught drunk and incapable in public, and lifetime bans for anyone caught drunk driving.

• Like 2

The Prime Minister has, under the authority of the Emergency Decree, Article 9, published an order late last night in the Royal Gazette which informs Governor's to temporarily stop and hold on drafting orders to ease restrictions around Covid19 in their provinces.

This is TEMPORARY and a hold, not permanent, to give more time for the government to reach consensus on decisions around easing restrictions.

At this time everyone will wait for further announcements from the government. If the current decision lasts past the first of May the prior orders in each province continue to apply until further announcements or amendments.

38 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

good to go at 11am tomorrow!

Yes but how many Provincial governors are sitting there thinking " I'll let them be happy for another few hours and then announce the continuation of the ban in my province - that'll knock the smiles off of their faces!"

• Like 1

If PM Prayut one day says that the alcohol ban will continue until May 31 and some other officials the day after say it will end on Sunday, it makes one wonder who is in charge of this country? Apparently not the Pinocchio-guy.

Well I was looking forward to the opening up of Acohol sales tomorrow

Now read it's up again to the Provincial governors 

Reading one  has already said he is sticking to the banning up to 31st May

Waiting now for more to follow 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

I find it sad that a previous thread announcing the lifting of the alcohol ban attracted 13 pages of comments, however, really important news about the ozone layer and the rejuvenating of nature in National Parks barely mustered a handful of comments!  I choose not to drink alcohol, but I am appalled by the number of people on this forum who see it as the only reason to live! Alcohol does not make the world go round! (unless you drink too much of course). 

I'm only drinking because I am deeply concerned about the ozone layer and the sorry state of the national parks. Alcohol helps me drown my worries.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, steelepulse said:

It would certainly be nice, but how about opening up beaches?  How about allowing water sports in the ocean?  UV rays have been shown to kill the virus in 3 minutes according to various studies I have read.

If you read these steadies on the web, you know that they're wrong, right?

Just now, Danny Australia said:

Not sure to rejoice or cry now. While I am happy the ban has been lifted, just last night I bought 1 month worth of booze at inflated prices. Its staggering how the decesion making can be reversed within hours.

Not entirely sure anything has been reversed.  How much of the confusionis/was caused by incorrect translation and/or interpretation of the original order?

PH

1 minute ago, Is this real said:
On 4/28/2020 at 11:33 AM, steelepulse said:

It would certainly be nice, but how about opening up beaches?  How about allowing water sports in the ocean?  UV rays have been shown to kill the virus in 3 minutes according to various studies I have read.

If there was some way to get those UV rays on the inside.... almost like a cleaning

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity."

You can buy from the wholesalers any time you like, e.g. in Makro if you have the right card, or Promphan.

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Jai Yen Yen guys Just listening to the Thai news it could stop anytime soon and it seems they will leave it upto each province whether to ban or not.

Not looking forward to going to Makro Sunday I think it will be chaotic  

It will be a 1-2 day open free window and then up to the I'm bigger and better than you and your province attitude from each pathetic governor. I really don't think it will stay open long and Lampang's fathead will probably be the first to crow like a chicken. So my plan is to stock up for 30 - 40 days and if there is booze and beer left then ok, I still have booze and beer

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Is this real said:

UV - C is a disinfectant.. That's why water filtration systems have UV lamps. There's one on most large boats too as the water is stored in tanks. Sunbeds for people or trying to 'put the light inside them' is a different kettle of fish..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

I find it sad that a previous thread announcing the lifting of the alcohol ban attracted 13 pages of comments, however, really important news about the ozone layer and the rejuvenating of nature in National Parks barely mustered a handful of comments!  I choose not to drink alcohol, but I am appalled by the number of people on this forum who see it as the only reason to live! Alcohol does not make the world go round! (unless you drink too much of course). 

Well, let me put it like this. It is easier to criticize an ash**e than to criticize just a hole.

• Haha 1

I am going to avoid the Sunday rush and go Monday - but remember - Visakha Bucha Day is on Wednesday - May 6th, so there will be no alcohol sold. Hopefully you all have not emptied the stocks completely. If so, at least it will be the older stuff - provided they rotate the old/new stocks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Nah there was still supply, but the choices were getting less and less and I can imagine people getting desperate.

Alkies will drink anything and maybe that was the problem

Moonshine galore and people getting sick + people travelling further distances to procure said items

The other thing was an inconvenience/annoyance and in recent days price gouging on the black market

Plentiful supply of alcohol hand gel if desperate. 

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I guess they managed to strike a deal for 2 billionaire families to "help" them after all..

I wonder how much had to be added to the piggies trough to get the ban lifted ??

Hanlon's razor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Most of the posts re this topic (alcohol ban) were not about availability of alcohol.

I posted many many times and I personally have unlimited alcohol available.

It was about having sensible rules to help us all through this period. Rules not just for useless suppression. 

Yeah riiiiight. Along with‘ I’ll stop drinking tomorrow', ‘I’m cutting down', ‘I don’t need to drink' ‘I just do it to be sociable' etc. etc.  ???? ???? 

• Sad 2

I think guessing why they changed their minds is just guessing. I'm just happy they changed.  I was drinking more when it was outlawed because we always want what we can't have. 

• Like 2

Drink up drink up with hope in your eyes and you never drink alone  you NEVERRRRRRRR  drink alone.   To all our Liverpool fans

So sad 4 some people must have a drink every day

Edited by whiteman

finally some common sense seems to have prevailed “. Managed to purchase a few cases of Leo beer only yesterday at 750 baht a case from some local businessman driving through the village.  Lockdown hasn’t been a issue for myself as it’s allowed me to sort stuff out at the house,. Must admit without beer it’s been tough stay safe people “. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

finally some common sense seems to have prevailed “. Managed to purchase a few cases of Leo beer only yesterday at 750 baht a case from some local businessman driving through the village.  Lockdown hasn’t been a issue for myself as it’s allowed me to sort stuff out at the house,. Must admit without beer it’s been tough stay safe people “. 

Yeah, well that's just your slant on the situation.

• Like 2

Not sure what people are complaining about.  You can definitely still buy booze in Pattaya.  Just not at some of the more mainstream places out in the open.  I'm sure a lot of you know where to go.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2