Thailand to allow alcohol sales after three-week ban: officials

rooster59

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

It's getting a little late in the day, I just wonder when they'll put us out of their misery and tell us what's happening.

Just read an up to date article which said the ban is lifted from tomorrow, but can only buy booze to take home....

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Just read an up to date article which said the ban is lifted from tomorrow, but can only buy booze to take home....

I have seen other posters saying that the governors of their province have extended the ban untill June 1st, is this not so?

Edited by vogie

1 minute ago, vogie said:

I have seen other posters saying that the governors of their province has extended the ban untill June 1st, is this not so?

Dunno, the article never mentioned that, but if they do, they won't be voted back in....????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HHTel said:

No.  Lifting the ban will revert to the standard selling times.  No sales after midnight.  You'd have to wait until 11:00 am.

The only time you can`t buy used to be between 2pm- 5pm. The rest of the day and night was ok, if you could find a shop open. 7 11 is open 24hrs.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ray666 said:

The only time you can`t buy used to be between 2pm- 5pm. The rest of the day and night was ok, if you could find a shop open. 7 11 is open 24hrs.

No sales after midnight until 11am. 

4 minutes ago, ray666 said:

Shops are not supposed to sell alcohol between midnight and 11 am as well.
7-11 will conform to that.

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I guess they managed to strike a deal for 2 billionaire families to "help" them after all..

I wonder how much had to be added to the piggies trough to get the ban lifted ??

Count the number of new Rolexs, multiply by the price and that'll give us a ballpark figure. 

Craft beer restaurant in CM posted on FB they will sell (with 30% discount) starting tomorrow, 3 May, from 12 noon to 9pm.  They state it is a 1 day sale though and they will be closed Mon.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, transam said:

Dunno, the article never mentioned that, but if they do, they won't be voted back in....????

Keep in mind that it was the proviences that initially introduced it. With various end dates.

Don't rule it out. Appears one provience has signed up to extend ban

11 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Not approval as such but we are at his mercy to extend the ban.

News flash. Rather rumor from the tgf. BTW she is nearly always spot on. 

Currently staying in Rayong district at her resort. We the only folk there. Just now the owner has told my gf that Rayong ban continue to May 15. This Thai owner from wealthy family. My money on her info.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

I noted Heineken's non alcoholic beer also have been removed from our 7 Eleven despite it's advertised as containing 0% Alcohol.

Why not remove all soft-drinks by that rationale- keep it safe. 

Some 7-11s stock it, some don't. There's a sticker on the ring pull confirming it's alcohol free. 

15 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Are we still waiting for the final approval from the Chonburi governor ?

It would not be the approval as it has already been formally dropped as of tomorrow by decree published in the Royal Gazette. But it would be his going against the ban being dropped as his opinion sees potential harm and then reinstating it as banned. Same as all the Governors have this ax e nine option on that first open window day. If they do go against the grain there will be H --- to pay.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Craft beer restaurant in CM posted on FB they will sell (with 30% discount) starting tomorrow, 3 May, from 12 noon to 9pm.  They state it is a 1 day sale though and they will be closed Mon.

Thank you Dancing Bear for the update. My call is it will be a one day open window at best and then the door shuts. And I will go give Thai lemons to the sun and rain gods if this is allowed.

27 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

BTW. Where or what location is that? Many craft beer places in CM. 

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The governor of Samut Prakan has just signed an order that alcohol can be sold in the province from Sunday onwards.

So it does look like the governors do have the final say.

YA HOOOOOOOOO. Some of them have gonads. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thank you Dancing Bear for the update. My call is it will be a one day open window at best and then the door shuts. And I will go give Thai lemons to the sun and rain gods if this is allowed.

Closed on Monday as it is a public holiday perhaps ?

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

BTW. Where or what location is that? Many craft beer places in CM. 

Renegade Craft Beer & Restaurant close to the E moat & Tha Pae Gate is who I originally posted about.

I'm hoping The Beer will be open for take-away beer sales as well.

Just heard that The Yellow Pug will be selling take-away craft beer too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrjohn said:

Whether you agree with an alcohol ban or not, this tin pot government's handling of the issue has been staggeringly incompetent.

I couldn't agree more.  Someone mentioned the book 'Lord of the Flies' in some post somewhere.  I agree, this government must have used that as its point of reference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

You think that announcing that the ban would continue for another month was just a bargaining ploy ?

Cynic ????

IMHO it was a sharp reminder of who actually runs the country.

Somebody cracked a whip to bring the government back on line.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2