What’s next for (some of) us?

52 minutes ago, at15 said:

The fact is incoming foreign arrivals are set to begin June 1, something will have to change for that not to be the case. 

I would rephrase it and say that a lot of things in the different countries have to change for that TO BE THE CASE.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If the borders are not open by August then they might extend the current "amnesty" IMO the will open before August unless Laos and Cambodia have a high infection rate then.

I don't think Laos and Cambodia will have a high infection rate becuase people their won't/can't have an attitude of "government cant tell me what to do". However, western countries are in it for the long haul as it will continue to devastate their health care systems and economy till a vaccine is found. The question is if Laos/Cambodia will allow desease infested foreigners to enter or not. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And tell me how and why those of us who live here as expats on extensions and have family here would be evicted on a whim, as you think may happen.  Please explain your reasoning behind your thought process on this.  If what you say would ever happen, this country would be crippled tremendously, as if it has not already been crippled economically. 

You appear to have gone off topic. The discussion was about those tourists and those on Exempts still here, not those on long-term extensions. 

We sell the Thais short and I'm one of them. In the beginning they only extended to April 30th then surprise July 31st unless opening things back up end bad I see no reason for a further extension into August and beyond.

Maybe some aren't trying hard enough, for Americans the US embassy sent out a noticed to basically get out or be stuck a family member had his flight canceled twice because Taiwan hadn't open their transit area therefore there weren't connection flights on his second cancellation the airline gave him two alternatives to use Korean or Nippon if he wanted to leave Thailand he took their option although the layover was long he got back home to the U.S.

Regardless of the aviation mandate there are flights arriving into Thailand to be stage outbound the US Embassy are also providing loan so you can get out.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, at15 said:

The fact is incoming foreign arrivals are set to begin June 1, something will have to change for that not to be the case. 

And I wonder if opening of international flights will be selective in favor of countries which have a history of quick professional reaction, quick reduction of the spread of the virus, deaths etc.

And have processes whereby passengers cannot board outgoing flights without solid medical reports, perhaps with 2 full tests, 1 negative full test not more than 3 days prior to boarding and a second negative test say 10 days prior to boarding, and serious (and monitored) use of masks, shields, gloves etc., during check-in, the flight and de-boarding, luggage collection etc.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, tonray said:

If you're a tourist why wouldn't you be planning to leave....no time for an extended vacation

After all, it requires planes to land and depart so that tourists can leave the country

Just a thought but ,take someone like me ,here on a marriage visa ,lived here 15 years ,what happens if all is up and running next year ,if i pop back to the UK for a visit ,will i require covid insurance to come back home ?or are we never to go away again?

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What makes you think it will not be possible in August.

There is no indication at this time I have seen that it will not be possible.

There is some evidence already countries relaxing rules are getting an increased infection rate. I'm starting to think most countries will not restart tourism until 2021.

Thailand has been extraordinarily lucky. There are various hypotheses as to why, but none have solid proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Zikomat said:

Is this you own definition of the word "tourist"? 

Cambridge dictionary:

Tourist - someone who visits a place for pleasure and interest. 

When I click on the Cambridge dictionary, this is what I get :-

"someone who visits a place for pleasure and does not live there"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/learner-english/tourist

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You appear to have gone off topic. The discussion was about those tourists and those on Exempts still here, not those on long-term extensions. 

Never went of topic....Topic is Whats next for some of us.......even though we are on extensions, or some are still on Visa multi entry O-A's, we unfortunately are all considered tourists.......just look at the folks stuck outside who also have a Thai Elite or a 1 year extension and can not get back to family.....now tell me again how I am off topic......darn I fed the troll

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, nahkit said:

When I click on the Cambridge dictionary, this is what I get :-

"someone who visits a place for pleasure and does not live there"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/learner-english/tourist

And this is my link:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/tourist

-someone who visits a place for pleasure and interest, usually while on holiday

Also:

Collins:

A tourist is a person who is visiting a place for pleasure and interest, especially when they are on holiday.

Merriam - Webster:

one that makes a tour for pleasure or culture

Edited by Zikomat
  • Sad 1

A lot of talk about insurance that I don't understand. Many retired expats are over 80 and someone over 85. It is an insurance company in Thailand who will ensure them. A friend of mine is 85 and he wants to spend his last few years in Thailand so anybody know the situation about health insurance?

On 5/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, Zikomat said:

With the number of tourists down to historical minimum - would it be a wise decisions to wipe out the remaining ones? 

Yes it would too many seem worthless and are seen lining up for free food handouts.

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

And this is my link:

Also:

Collins:

A tourist is a person who is visiting a place for pleasure and interest, especially when they are on holiday.

Merriam - Webster:

So we're both agreed then that a tourist is someone who doesn't actually live in the country?

4 minutes ago, nahkit said:

So we're both agreed then that a tourist is someone who doesn't actually live in the country?

Then we have to define the verb ‘to live’. One of the meanings is -

to have your home somewhere.

I , personally, stay in TH for more than 1 year. And I don’t have my home here. I am a tourist. 

• Sad 1

We all must wait and see.  In my opinion the Thai Government was quite considerate granting the amnesty until July 31st.  Perhaps they are truly more concerned about the consequences arising from the virus then our immigration issues.  I am hopeful Thailand will do right again for us.  In my circumstance, a non-immigrant multi-entry O visa based on marriage, I plan on calling the local immigration office and ask them what I should do.  If the borders are locked, and perhaps they will be, then I will apply for the one year extension.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zikomat said:

And this is my link:

Also:

Collins:

Merriam - Webster:

The definition of tourist in Thailand is defined by the Thai immigration not some dictionary 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

And I wonder if opening of international flights will be selective in favor of countries which have a history of quick professional reaction, quick reduction of the spread of the virus, deaths etc.

And have processes whereby passengers cannot board outgoing flights without solid medical reports, perhaps with 2 full tests, 1 negative full test not more than 3 days prior to boarding and a second negative test say 10 days prior to boarding, and serious (and monitored) use of masks, shields, gloves etc., during check-in, the flight and de-boarding, luggage collection etc.

One of the quick-tests being rolled out, just before getting on the plane, should be sufficient. 

Of course, airport personnel and un-screened passengers would need to wear masks, to minimize the chance of person catching it in the airport, just prior to departure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Just a thought but ,take someone like me ,here on a marriage visa ,lived here 15 years ,what happens if all is up and running next year ,if i pop back to the UK for a visit ,will i require covid insurance to come back home ?or are we never to go away again?

If things are up and running next year just my opinion you need not worry!  I'm in the same situation but not the U.K. if there are still a mandate (Thailand ) to have a medical certification no older than 72 hours and health insurance that should be a clear message not to leave.  Another thing is that the U.K. don't require you to have a 14 day quarantine.

What worries me my mother is 102 year old right now lockdown in a senior home if any of this lockdown is in place I'm not leaving I'm crossing my fingers nothing happens to her?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Less tourists for a long duration is actually more likely to benefit visa runners. 

Why do you think so? Crossing the borders will not be an easy task in the near future.

• Like 1