What’s next for (some of) us?

Let’s imagine there will be no new infected cases in TH in June and July. But the country, almost certainly, will still remain locked for the outside visitors. The government will not prolong a visa waiver (why should they?) and those of us on tourist visas and exempt stamps will have to leave the country without any option to prolong our legal stay here. This is the most likely scenario, in my opinion. Any alternative thoughts or the mass exodus in August is inevitable?

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

In the past one could go to Laos or Cambodia and to get another tourist visa. This is something that will be impossible in the August. Meaning the only option left will be to leave the place. 

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed post
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

I am only talking about those on tourist visas and exempt stamps.

Currently it is not feasible to go out of the country to grab a new visa and just come back - the old visa run methods are broken.

Hopefully the Thais would continue to extend the visas otherwise you'll be in a bit of trouble not only to stay but also to leave - the repatriation flights are getting less and less and at one point the governments will stop subsidising them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What makes you think it will not be possible in August.

There is no indication at this time I have seen that it will not be possible.

Joe - my last entry stamp on my 1 yr non O based on marriage is June 13th..there isn't much point in getting a 60 day ext on that at immigration, is there?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

What makes you think it will not be possible in August.

There is no indication at this time I have seen that it will not be possible.

It MAY be impossible. The fact is - it’s impossible at the moment. Something will have to change on both sides of the border to make that option available again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Joe - my last entry stamp on my 1 yr non O based on marriage is June 13th..there isn't much point in getting a 60 day ext on that at immigration, is there?

No need to do the extension since you are allowed ot stay until July 31st. You could apply for the 60 day extension shorley before the July 31st so you would not have to leave the country for a new entry.

• Like 2

Too many assumptions.

What makes you think there would be flights to your home country ? 

Too many unknowns at this time. True tourists I suspect have already gone home before they ran out of money.... The others will have to wait and see I guess....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No need to do the extension since you are allowed ot stay until July 31st. You could apply for the 60 day extension shorley before the July 31st so you would not have to leave the country for a new entry.

Oh, I didn't realise you could do it like that. Glad I asked now. Cheers.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If the borders are not open by August then they might extend the current "amnesty" IMO the will open before August unless Laos and Cambodia have a high infection rate then.

This is an interesting moment. While the Thais may be somehow sure about their own numbers (or at least pretend that they do) - why should they believe the Cambodian or Lao numbers (especially with a clear knowledge that their own numbers are fake) ? The trust element will be quite low between the countries in the near future. I personally don’t see the borders fully open any time soon.

Edited by Zikomat

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If the borders are not open by August then they might extend the current "amnesty" IMO the will open before August unless Laos and Cambodia have a high infection rate then.

If they open, won't we be required to have covid free certificates and 100,000USD insurance? Of course, who knows...

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

and those of us on tourist visas and exempt stamps will have to leave the country without any option to prolong our legal stay here. This is the most likely scenario, in my opinion. Any alternative thoughts or the mass exodus in August is inevitable?

I'm currently trapped in the UK unable to get back to Thailand.

I am more than happy to replace you in Thailand on your expired tourist visa with my retirement extended one

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Oh, I didn't realise you could do it like that. Glad I asked now. Cheers.

So I get this right if I apply say on the 28th July will they give another 60 days from that date or will still it still be 60 days from the last entry stamp (June 13th) so up to aug 11 approx

7 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

So I get this right if I apply say on the 28th July will they give another 60 days from that date or will still it still be 60 days from the last entry stamp (June 13th) so up to aug 11 approx

From the day you apply for it or July 31st (not sure which they will do).

• Like 1

I doubt those of us who applied for our 60-days already - when there Was No auto-extension at the time - but whose entry-date was LATER covered in the "amnesty" - won't be getting another 60-day exension.  A refund would be nice, at the least, but that's dreaming.  All we can do, is hope can go out for a new visa and get back in before the auto-extension period ends. 

I tend to agree that the financial-need for tourists, combined with the greed of businesses who won't pay wages high-enough to get Thai workers, makes border-openings more likely sooner than later.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zikomat said:

With the number of tourists down to historical minimum - would it be a wise decisions to wipe out the remaining ones? 

Shouldn`t you be trying to go home if your a tourist?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zikomat said:

It MAY be impossible. The fact is - it’s impossible at the moment. Something will have to change on both sides of the border to make that option available again.

The fact is incoming foreign arrivals are set to begin June 1, something will have to change for that not to be the case. 

Edited by at15

40 minutes ago, at15 said:

The fact is incoming foreign arrivals are set to begin June 1, something will have to change for that not to be the case. 

Where did you get that fact from? I haven't seen any announcements about the resumption of the international flights.

• Like 2