Worm farm?

I wanted to go fishing with some worms. I was burying bio-waste from the kitchen in the dirt and then going back to dig up the worms (that is how we did it back in Illinois, USA - you didn't even need to bury the bio-waste, worms everywhere). Here in Thailand, no worms, or very few worms by us.

I am now thinking of starting a small worm farm, basically to provide worms for me to fish with. I was thinking that it may be too hot to do a worm farm in Thailand. Has anyone made one? How did it go?

• Like 1

There are/were 1 or 2 threads running here about this. 

I'm pretty sure there's a second one but can't find it. 

There is/was a bloke in here doing it commercially up in Isan (pennworms.com), so yes it can be done. 

No, it just because currently it's no-worm season!

You can get tons and tons of worms like 9 months a year. You will just dig into a wet ground and you will get buckets of them. But like 3 months a year there isn't a single one. Currently I'm not fishing, because I too can't get a hand on worms. But it should change in next three weeks or so, as raining should finally come.

That thread was 11 years old ????

I did look at www.pennworms.com (English) and http://oknation.nationtv.tv/blog/teetatfarm (only in Thai). I think I got enough out of those sites to figure it out. I am thinking about doing a small worm farm. The worm castings look beneficial for our farm too.  

I'll have to do some more digging to see what kind of environment the worms can live in. Some pictures I saw looked like a covered area with lots of barrels.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MisterBKK said:

That thread was 11 years old ????

I did look at www.pennworms.com (English) and http://oknation.nationtv.tv/blog/teetatfarm (only in Thai). I think I got enough out of those sites to figure it out. I am thinking about doing a small worm farm. The worm castings look beneficial for our farm too.  

I'll have to do some more digging to see what kind of environment the worms can live in. Some pictures I saw looked like a covered area with lots of barrels.

It's all here...................????...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up making a worm bin here in the US (where I am right now). This is my test. I will apply what I learn to our Thai farm.

Simple - I bought a 45 gallon bin from Home Depot that has wheels - very fancy for $24
Bottom layer = cardboard
  then rehydrated coconut coir
  then soil
  then food scraps
  then egg shells
Mix and make sure food scraps are completely buried.
Wait a while (I waited 10 days)
Put the worms in, cover with some newspaper

So far, so good. Worms are alive and eating.

My next bit of research will be on coconut coir - we have coconut trees on our farm, so I assume I can make this stuff. The worms seem to like it.