HIV Test and Treatment

Rovinz

Hi! It’s been a week that I got depression and stressed due to sleepless and overthinking. I cannot sleep because of mix emotions and paranoia. 

I end up going to a cardiologist because I speculated that I got a heart problem because I cannot breath normally and my heartbeat is not normal however all the tests were ok and there is no issue in the heart. The stress lessen up however I still have this fear that there might be other cause why I felt sick and cannot sleep.

Since I cannot handle anymore because of the stress and paranoia, I bought a HIV tests kit over the counter and the result was Positive.

To lessen up my worries I searched clinics where to get tested and treated however I cannot see any price list if how much all the cost for lab testing and medication. In this group, I am politely asking you if you have any recommendations where to get treated? I mean who can handle mine case in a long run since I work and based here in Thailand. I read about the post of Sheryl in this Forum, Bumrungrad is a good choice however do you have any idea if how much does it costs for the treatment including the lab testing and medication. 

Lastly, If anyone have a good heart there, I need someone to talk too this is depressing and I don’t have any body to talk, i cannot open up to my friends, family and colleagues. Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I've never heard of an over-the-counter HIV test that you can do yourself.  I'd wonder if it was accurate. 

I just did a quick search and yes, apparently there is in Thailand.  But it does say that one should go to a hospital to confirm a positive. 

• Like 1

You can get tested in any hospital. It will cost a few hundred bahts. Just go to any public hospital, tell them you want get a blood test. They will send you to see a doctor and you can speak to him in private. Results are in about a 1 hour.

Bumrungrad is extremely expensive. What will cost you 500 Baht in public hospital will cost you 15 000 Baht in Bumrungrad! Not kidding.

Also it does seem like you have an anxiety, not heart problem/HIV. Do you drink a lot? Anxiety comes as a result of alcohol abuse... .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rovinz said:

Lastly, If anyone have a good heart there, I need someone to talk too this is depressing and I don’t have any body to talk, i cannot open up to my friends, family and colleagues. Thank you! 

Try Samaritans Thailand. There was a link provided on these forums but I cannot see it now. I found a telephone number that may be in use. 027136791. Maybe someone else reading this can confirm. They also have a Facebook page.

Edited by potless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

IF you turn out to be really HIV posititive, you can get the necessary labs (Viral Load , C4 etc) t the Thai red Cross and also buy meds there but need  script for both which Dr. Asda can provide.

Can't the red cross prescribe the meds themselves? they can with PrEP

A few notes from an email I wrote to an HIV+ friend last year who was contemplating coming to work in Bangkok:

Thailand has a lot of experience of treating individuals living with HIV.  The drug protocols here are modern, and the government pharmaceutical organisation (GPO) makes generic versions of many of the major drugs itself, making them much cheap than imported, branded versions.

The cheapest place to get tested and prescribed medication in Bangkok is at the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic.  You can see the testing price list at http://en.trcarc.org/Homepage/?page_id=632 Drugs are sold at cost (or +10% if you go to an after hours clinic).  However, the drawback of this place is that there's no appointment system.  It's a matter of turning up and waiting - possibly hours.

If you go to a private clinic or hospital the price will be approximately double.  However, you'll be able to get an appointment, and the doctor will probably speak much better English.

This is a private clinic which has some prices on its website for comparison.  https://www.pulse-clinic.com/poz/

Thailand hasn't worked on a prescription system in the past - for non-controlled medicine (and that's pretty much everything) you just went to a pharmacy.  However, HIV medication is strictly controlled, and historically you've bought the medication at the hospital pharmacy, where the price is steeply marked up.  The law has changed recently, and you're now supposed to be able to get a prescription on request which you can take to a pharmacy to get filled.  This means you should be able to see a doctor at a private hospital, then take the prescription to the Red Cross to be filled.  (I doubt that local pharmacies will stock anti-HIV medication because for Thai nationals it's free from government hospitals.)

A few prices from various Internet sources:  Efavirenz 900 baht/30 tablets; Tenofovir 1400 baht/30 tablets; Lamivudine 300 mg + Nevirapine 400 mg + Viread 300 mg 30 days' supply 2,580 baht at the Red Cross Clinic.

• Like 2

Shouldn't be too expensive.  I had a friend that everytime he got a new girl friend (which was quite often) would get himself and the lady tested at a hospital near the "fun zone" and get the results right away.  He is a cheap Charlie by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orchis said:

Test at Anonymous Clinic.
See if it is confirmed as hiv positive.

Go see a doctor, e.g. Dr Krirk at BNH with these results.
There are infectious disease doctors at all the hospitals.
The advantage of BNH is the proximity to Anonymous.
There are many drugs available, the doctor will determine which.
If no complicated case (contra indications, side effects) these drugs are cheap; the doctor will write a prescription which you fill at Anonymous.

The stress and self stigma are two factors that can be controlled by yourself, 
the hiv can be managed with pills and healthy living, it needs some discipline of mind and body
but it's perfectly manageable.

Be Well.

The Anonymous clinic now has doctors on site that will write prescriptions. 

I hope your test turns out to be a false positive but you need to find out ASAP so you can get started on treatment if needed. I agree 100% about Thai Red cross being the top choice, but the only Thai Red Cross in Bangkok I know of that tests for HIV is near BTS Sala Daeng station. It's nowhere near Nana. It is a bit hard to find your first time. It's across the street from Lumpini park though that is a huge park. Google maps is accurate for where it is. There are specific signs indicating it's an anonymous HIV and STD testing clinic.

Of course having HIV is alarming but Thailand is a very good place to be if you do. Great and affordable healthcare and there are many others who have it here as well who you could find a way to talk with.

Just curious what is the name of the HIV test one can do at home? In the USA they have an OraQuick test that works with saliva and only takes about 20 minutes. IS that same test in Thailand?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, Berkshire said:

I've never heard of an over-the-counter HIV test that you can do yourself.  I'd wonder if it was accurate. 

Same here, I've never heard of a over the counter HIV-test in any country. I don't believe there is one. 

On 5/4/2020 at 1:30 PM, Berkshire said:

I just did a quick search and yes, apparently there is in Thailand.  But it does say that one should go to a hospital to confirm a positive. 

And which company came up with that test? It might even show a positive if you're infected by the coronavirus. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Don't be worried, I know someone being positive since 30 years and he is still ok.

you will be fine.

for stress and anxiety you should take some CBD or THC oil, legally available, it will help you a lot.

Take as little meds as possible, as you might have to take a lot for the next 30 years...

• Like 2

Hi! 

Sorry for not making a reply to all your comments but then it helps alot. I got a perfect sleep last night and it was so amazing.

Thank you to those people whom I personally came to their inboxes. God bless you and stay healthy. 

I’ve been tested today and the HIV kit was accurate. Now, the level of my fear and stress dropdown. I know to my self that stress and fear never have in my vocabularies however it proves to me that I am human being and got fear.

This is another part of my story and will definitely share in the right time. I always told to myself that “Life is Too Short and Enjoy to the Fullest” indeed! however when i reflected and realized all the memories and future plans “no way!I need to live longer and healthy to climb more mountains, to do my top 1 bucket list, and many more”. It is so beautiful to live on earth and explore the world. 

This is not an easy for me at the moment however I am pretty sure that day by day there will be an improvement and be getting healthier. One for sure that really hit me along the way are the struggles of nicotine and alcohol withdrawal. 

Once again, Thank you and God Bless! Stay Healthy! 

-rovinz

Edited by Rovinz
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rovinz said:

Hi! 

Sorry for not making a reply to all your comments but then it helps alot. I got a perfect sleep last night and it was so amazing.

Thank you to those people whom I personally came to their inboxes. God bless you and stay healthy. 

I’ve been tested today and the HIV kit was accurate. Now, the level of my fear and stress dropdown. I know to my self that stress and fear never have in my vocabularies however it proves to me that I am human being and got fear.

This is another part of my story and will definitely share in the right time. I always told to myself that “Life is Too Short and Enjoy to the Fullest” indeed! however when i reflected and realized all the memories and future plans “no way!I need to live longer and healthy to climb more mountains, to do my top 1 bucket list, and many more”. It is so beautiful to live on earth and explore the world. 

This is not an easy for me at the moment however I am pretty sure that day by day there will be an improvement and be getting healthier. One for sure that really hit me along the way are the struggles of nicotine and alcohol withdrawal. 

Once again, Thank you and God Bless! Stay Healthy! 

-rovinz

I'm unclear, were you HIV-? did you go to the Red Cross? how did it go?

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm unclear, were you HIV-? did you go to the Red Cross? how did it go?

Hang in there , take the prescribed meds and you can have an ALMOST normal life. I have a few + friends and when taking the meds they have high CD4 (good) and low/undetectable  viral load (good) .  Unfortunately the meds do put some stress on the liver and they have been advised to strictly limit their alcohol consumption and avoid a high fat diet. The current motto is U = U  i.e. Undetectable  =  Untransmissable; which means if on your regular tests you have undetectable viral load you are not a risk to anybody.  A usual CD4 count is 500 - 1000, below 200 you MUST go onto the prescribed drug regime if you want to survive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I trust the OP is doing ok, haven't heard from him.  For the OP:  Where did you buy this HIV test kit?  I've gone to a few pharmacies and not only do they not have it, they've never heard of it (home HIV testing kit).  They keep saying "Need to go to hospital."

On 5/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

You can get tested in any hospital. It will cost a few hundred bahts. Just go to any public hospital, tell them you want get a blood test. They will send you to see a doctor and you can speak to him in private. Results are in about a 1 hour.

Bumrungrad is extremely expensive. What will cost you 500 Baht in public hospital will cost you 15 000 Baht in Bumrungrad! Not kidding.

Also it does seem like you have an anxiety, not heart problem/HIV. Do you drink a lot? Anxiety comes as a result of alcohol abuse... .

Anxiety may also come from thinking you are hiv positive, especially if you dont truly understand the diease and treatments currently available.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:07 PM, Jcord1 said:

The Anonymous clinic now has doctors on site that will write prescriptions. 

I think both comments here are incredibly useful, anyone  being hiv + would have a responsibility to provide disclosure in some circumstances,  hovever disclosure should be at their own discretion where no one else can be affected.

32 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I trust the OP is doing ok, haven't heard from him.  For the OP:  Where did you buy this HIV test kit?  I've gone to a few pharmacies and not only do they not have it, they've never heard of it (home HIV testing kit).  They keep saying "Need to go to hospital."

Not approved for sue/sale in Thailand.

I would worry about quality

It is extremely easy to get a test here, anonymously if desired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not approved for sue/sale in Thailand.

I would worry about quality

It is extremely easy to get a test here, anonymously if desired.

You're probably right.  But the OP implied that he bought it over-the-counter in Thailand.  Perhaps he can clarify.