Sonkran Death Toll Rises To 236 After Four Days

george

Sonkran death toll rises to 236 after four days

BANGKOK: -- The death toll from road accidents in the first four days of the seven "dangerous" Songkran holidays stood at 236, officials said.

A total of 786 accidents occurred on Saturday, the fourth day of the monitoring period, killing 67 people and injuring 886 others.

So far, 3,182 people were reported injured in road accidents from Wednesday to Saturday.

Most accidents were caused by drunk driving, officials said.

-- The Nation 2007-04-15

It is unbelievable isn't it?It should be meritmaking and now the festival is misused as a alcohol driven madhouse.Although is is a good thing this year that there are so many police at present,maybe the number will be a bit lower this year,but if it really comes from the checkpoints and advertising? Who knows,still a good start for the better i guess........But I feel brief for the families who lost their lovedones,it is such a terrible way to loose your life.

I just did a quick run up to the central north - left thursday night and returned sunday afternoon.

the traffic up to the tak fa turn off on the nakan sawan road from bangkok was as atrocious as it normally is over the holiday periods , though no accidents witnessed - but some fresh paint marks on the road indicating multiple rear enders .

I did 2 days duty chauffeuring a ute ( pickup ) load of children and adults around the district washing anything that moved , and the biggest problem I thought was the drunken 15-25 age group males walking in front of cars to get them to stop. I imagine there will have been a few injuries because of this macho stupidity.

the thing I have noticed has been the murmurs of approval the last couple of years by the elders when I have refused a drink until my duties as the chauffeur have been finished. It might take a few years but I believe it will filter down . My first trip up for songkran , about 5 years ago , I was in the back drinking and splashing with the "boys" and a couple of children , the driver was about 25-26 and he too did not drink until after he had discharged his duties. It is heartening.

but , I passed though about 50 odd police checkpoints in my travels this weekend - and not one of them was pulling cars over - most were unmanned.

THIS IS A CONSTANT TRADGEDY OF THAI LIFE. IT IS SO SAD AND SO STUPID THAT IT BEGGARS BELIEF. I BELIEVE THAT A LARGE PART OF IT IS CAUSED BY THE THAI POLICE NOT TAKING ANY [OR VERY LITTLE] NOTICE OF DRUNK DRIVING UNLESS AN ACCIDENT IS CAUSED. IT IS TIME FOR A VERY PUBLIC AND WIDESPREAD BREATHALISER CAMPAIGN WITH SERIOUS PENALTIES FOR ALL DRINK DRIVING OFFENCES.HARSH, I AGREE, BUT NO WAY AS HARSH AS FACING THE DEATH OF FAMILY OR FRIENDS UNNECESSARILY CUT DOWN BY CRASS BLODDY STUPIDITY.

For me, it is a matter of just driving very slowly through the villages as there's a lot of kids about not looking behind them and a lot of drunks about who can't even see what is in front of them.

But the highway is scary. So much traffic compared to normal times and all going so much faster.

I can echo 'stumonster'. It took me about five years of sticking religously to 'nam phao' until such time as my day's driving was over to establish my reputation here as "Not like farang---very good man." But it is worth the effort.

In Sisaket town the roads were completely blocked by drunken pick-up drivers for long periods of the day amidst complete mayhem - there was no access in or out for fire engines, ambulances and police vehicles - and this on a weekend where the emergency services were supposed to be on a high security alert!

I suppose we have to be thankful that the bombings which had been anticipated never materialised.

Here in Laos I only heard about 2 deaths so far - which is a pretty good record last year I thing there was 7 reported by the police.

It still staggers me the numbers reported dying in Thailand - we drove up to my wifes uncles family house (90km from Vientiane) yesterday and the roads here were pretty well behaved. The only annoyance is kids with the bags of coloured water .... :o

But as has been said the most near accidents that I witnessed yesterday were caused by the drunken parties half way in the road.

Sonkran death toll rises to 236 after four days

BANGKOK: -- The death toll from road accidents in the first four days of the seven "dangerous" Songkran holidays stood at 236, officials said.

A total of 786 accidents occurred on Saturday, the fourth day of the monitoring period, killing 67 people and injuring 886 others.

So far, 3,182 people were reported injured in road accidents from Wednesday to Saturday.

Most accidents were caused by drunk driving, officials said.

-- The Nation 2007-04-15

Any statistics on non-holiday accidents? Would be interesting to compare.

Songkran accident toll mounts to 318

A total of 318 people were reported killed in road accidents in six of the seven "dangerous" Songkran holidas, the Interior Ministry announced Tuesday.

On Monday, the sixth day of the seven-day monitoring period, 417 accidents happened, killing 45 people and injuring 461 people.

During the six-day period, 3,823 accidents occurred nationwide, killing 318 people and injuring 4,293 people.

The Nation

Any statistics on non-holiday accidents? Would be interesting to compare.

Agree.

But as has been said the most near accidents that I witnessed yesterday were caused by the drunken parties half way in the road.

Yep. Saw at least three drunk young kids get creamed by a pick up yesterday on the way back from Ban Phe. Grinning pissed-up youths trying to stop passing traffic in the middle of major roads. :o Mad.

If the statistics is to believe the traffic and behave on the roads have improved a lot the last 6 years.

In fact I believe few Countries can show a similar improvement.

The fatality rate is down more than 50% in a period over 5-6 years

Before 2001 it was usually the double numbers plus with fatalities under Songkran and the Western New Years celebrations.

At least Taksin teached them to drive........... :o

Pattani reports half number of road accidents than expected

Chief of the Pattani Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, Phaisor Kasetkala (ไฝซอล เกษตรกาลาม์) reports that 22 road accidents have occurred in Pattani Province during the “Seven Dangerous Days” starting from April 11th – 17th.

The accidents have caused two deaths and 27 injuries, lower than those of the previous year by 50 percent. The province set the target of four deaths and not injuries of not exceed 54. As for this year, most of the injuries are motorcyclists who rode excessively fast and did not wear helmets. Most of the accidents have taken place in Yarang (ยะรัง) and Nong Chik (หนองจิก) districts.

Mr Phaisor says provincial officials have done their utmost in preventing road accidents and campaigning for road safety. 33 checkpoints were set up on roads and 6,154 patrolling vehicles were deployed to monitor traffic during the festival.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 April 2007

Many Bangkokians traveled to amusement parks during Songkran

During the Songkran festival, a large number of Bangkokians were spending their holidays in other provinces, causing the traffic condition in Bangkok to be unusually light. As for the people who decided to spend their vacation in Bangkok, many of them spend their time with their family members at various amusement parks in the capital and nearby provinces.

Mrs. Arpa Kewkacha, the Managing Director of Safari World Public Company Limited, says Safari World welcomed about 40,000 to 50,000 visitors per day during the Songkran festival. She says many people in Bangkok want to visit Safari World and other amusement parks in the capital and neighboring provinces because they are not very far from their residences. She says the amusement park has renovated many areas to facilitate and entertain the increasing number of visitors.

In addition, Mrs. Arpa says many people are tired of the current political situation and the economic slowdown, and they want to loosen themselves at amusement parks or other recreational places.

80 road accidents, 5 deaths, and 89 injuries in Songkhla

Songkhla province reported a total of 80 road accidents, resulting in five deaths and 89 injuries, during the Songkran holidays between April 11th and 17th.

Mr. Wichit Chantharapan, the chief of the Songkhla Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, says the province saw seven road accidents yesterday (Apr 17) and there were seven injuries and no death.

He says the number of this year’s road fatalities is lower than that of the same period of last year by 54.54 percent, or by six people. However, the number of injuries is higher by 56.14 percent, or by 32 people. The number of road accidents is also higher by 45.45 percent, or by 25 accidents.

Mr. Wichit says the districts of Krasae Sin and Sing Nakhon reported the highest number of road accidents, and 73 motorcycles were involved with the accidents.

Tak province exceeded road accident limit

Tak province report that it has exceeded road accident limits for the 7 dangerous days of the Songkran Festival.

The Director of the Tak Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Mr. Suthep Dechaisri (สุเทพ เดชชัยศรี ), said road statistics for Tak province revealed that from April 11-17, or the 7 dangerous days of the Songkran Festival, 5 motorists have lost their lives, and another 32 are injured. Mr. Suthep said these numbers exceeded set limits of the province to prevent more than 3 deaths.

The Director revealed that 33 accidents occured, 31,545 vehicles were called for inspections, while 663 motorists were prosecuted for infraction of the government's road and public safety policy. Mr. Suthep said that most accidents in Tak province were due to drunk driving, and reckless driving, with motorcycles the most accident prone vehicles.

Satun province successful in limiting road accidents by 50%

During the 7 dangerous days of the Songkran Festival, Satun province suffered 13 accidents, with 1 fatality, well below set limits by 50 percent.

The Director of the Satun Office of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, Mr. Somkiet Inkam (สมเกียรติ อินทรคำ), in his capacity as secretary general of the Satun Road Accident Prevention and Reduction Operation Center, revealed that during the 7 dangerous days of the Songkran Festival from April 11-17, Satun province encountered 13 accidents, with 1 fatality, and 15 injuries. The director said that most accidents involved motorbikes, with La-Ngu (ละงู) district having the highest accident rate.

The director said that Satun accident rates were far below set limits by at least 50 percent. Mr. Somkiet attributed the province's success to good cooperation between agencies, with excellent coordination between police and military personnel in directing traffic according to the government's road and public safety policy. Mr. Somkiet added that an offensive public relation strategy against road accidents has also contributed to the lower death toll.

Ayutthaya successful in lowering Songkran road accidents

Ayutthaya province has been successful in controlling road accidents by more than half during the 7 dangerous days of the Songkran Festival.

Ayutthaya Governor Chertpan Na Sonkhla (เชิดพันธ์ ณ สงขลา ), called a meeting of the Ayutthaya Road Accident Prevention and Reduction Operation Center at the Ayutthaya provincial hall today (April 18) in order to follow up on road accident rates during the Songkran Festival. The Ayutthaya Governor concluded that the province suffered only 9 fatalities and 44 injuries. Mr. Chertpan pointed out that Ayutthaya suffered 85 road injuries last year.

The Ayutthaya Governor indicated that the major causes of traffic accidents were reckless driving, and improper safety precautions. Mr. Chertpan added that continuous road safety measures by police and local administrative officers were responsible for lowering road accident rates.

Betong district reports no road fatalities

Betong district reports no road fatalities during the Songkran Festival.

Betong District Chief Officer Nopadol Songmuang (นพดล สองเมือง) revealed that during the Songkran Festival from April 11-17, efforts to prevent and reduce road accidents in Betong district of Yala province have been successful, with no road fatalities, and only 29 road injuries. Mr. Nopadol said that 3 district checkpoints are responsible for increased road safety.

The Betong District Chief Officer report that the major causes of road accidents were drunk driving, and improper safety precautions, with most road accidents occuring from 16:00-18:00. Most accidents involved motorbikes.

Mr. Nopadol said that most infringements of the government's road and public safety policy were motorists not wearing safety helments, wtih 182 incidents, not carrying driver's license, with 105 incidents, driving recklessly, with 6 incidents, and drunk driving with 10 incidents.

Grievous road accident occurs in Phuket province

One last round of road accident occured in Phuket province, when a Krabi motorist crashed his vehicle into an electricity pole, resulting in 5 fatalities.

Police Inspector to the Phuket muang precinct, Pol Lt Col Rada Kruengwong (รัษฎา กลึงวงศ์ ), reported that at 5 AM today (April 18), the auhtorities received reports of a road accident on the outbound segment of the Thepkrasat (เทพกระษัตร) Road in the muang district of Phuket province. Emergency teams immediately rushed to the scene and found the wreckages of a Toyota pickup vehicle near an electricity pole.

Authorities report 5 fatalities from the incident, including Mr. Chumpol Hempitak (ชุมพล เหมพิทักษ์ ), Mr. Theerapat Thepbuth (ธีรภัทร เตบบุตร), Mr. Thawan Thepbuth (ตะวัน เตบบุตร), Mr. Pasakorn Pechawuth (ภาสกร เพชรอาวุธ), and Mr. Narin Kuldee (นรินทร์ กุลดี ). All are residents of Krabi province.

Officials believe that the incident occured due to reckless driving and the driver's unfamiliarity with local roads.

Thai and foreign tourists impressed with Thailand's Songkran celebration

Director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Southern Office Region 4, Mrs. Suwalai Pimpradit (สุวลัย ปิ่นประดับ), says both Thai and foreign tourists have shown positive response to Phuket (ภูเก็ต) due to Songkran celebrations.

Mrs. Suwalai says nearly all hotel rooms in Phuket and Krabi (กระบี่) have been occupied, leading to liveliness in the provinces.

The director says over one billion baht have been generated to Andaman provinces; Phuket at 800 million baht and Krabi at 300 million baht.

A member of marketing commision for Phuket Tourism Business Association, Mr. Panu Maswongsa (ภาณุ มาศวงศา), says the number of tourists traveling in Phuket Province in the next month will reduce by 50 percent because of low season. He says the decrease in number of Japanese tourists is also a cause of the reduction of the tourism figure. He informs that eversince the 2004 Tsunami, Thai Airways has cancelled its Japan- Phuket direct flight.

Rayong reported less fatalities than last year

Rayong province reported eight fatalities and 32 injuries from road accidents during the Seven Dangerous Days from April 11th to 17th, 2007. During the same period of last year, the province reported 14 road fatalites.

Mrs. Pitchurai Panthip, the chief of the Rayong Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, said there was a motorcycle accident yesterday (Apr 17) as it was driving over the speed limit, causing one death. The accident occurred at 21:30 hours in Tapong district and the fatal victim was identified as Mr. Narintha Pieumkunsub, 20.

During the Songkran holidays, Rayong had set up 145 road safety checkpoints.

361 killed in road accidents during 7-day Songkran holidays

A total of 4,214 road accidents took place nationwide during the week-long Songkran holidays, killing 361 people and injuring 4,805 others.

Permanent Secretary for Interior Pongpayom Vasaputi said Wednesday that Khon Kaen topped the provincial list with 16 deaths, while Chiang Rai had the most accidents at 160 times and the most injuries at 167 people.

He said that on Tuesday alone, 43 people got killed and 512 wounded in 451 accidents, mostly resulted from drunk driving.

Most accidents (90.56 per cent) involved motorcycles and took placed on secondary roads between 4pm and 8pm. Samut Prakan had the most deaths at five persons, while Nakhon Si Thammarat had the most injuries at 72 cases and Roi Et had the most accidents at 40 times.

Throughout the seven-day period, there were 4,274 accidents - 77 more than last year's same period - with 361 deaths - 14 lower than those of last year - and 4,805 injuries - 79 higher than those of last year.

Khon Kaen had the most deaths at 16, followed by Nakhon Phanom at 15 and Chiang Mai at 13. Chiang Rai experienced the most accumulated accidents at 160 times followed by Udon Thani at 135 and Chiang Mai at 130. Chiang Rai also had the most injuries at 167 people followed by Nakhon Si Thammarat at 157 and Udon Thani at 145.

Pongpayom said 13.529 million vehicles - nearly 600,000 vehicles more than same period last year - were stopped at checkpoints nationwide and 282,525 law breakers face legal punishments.

The Nation - 18 April 2007