Thai prototype vaccine passes test with flying colours

snoop1130

15 hours ago, lkv said:

Yeah, pretty much what Oxford was doing a few weeks ago, injecting mice. Now Oxford is already doing human trials, so the scientific hub of Thailand is slightly behind.

Regardless, I don't care about vaccines and I will not get one myself.

Cheers.

I believe Oxford is now testing ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 on rhesus macaque monkeys, among the closest to humans. If effectiveness is proven, could be ready as soon as September. Of course UK will have priority to supply.

The monkey tests are better than carried out on mice.

Sad to see Thailand behind scientific progress - the cost of national pride?

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

Thais have cured Ebola, HIV, SARS, mad cow, bird flu, Ecoli, Zika and Elections so why not Corona?

Very thirst quenching, ice cold with a slice of lime. Haven't had a drink for over a month, I'm hallucinating now.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

I believe Oxford is now testing ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 on rhesus macaque monkeys, among the closest to humans. If effectiveness is proven, could be ready as soon as September. Of course UK will have priority to supply.

They did test it on Macaques but have now injected it in humans, 500 with Covid-19 vaccine, 500 with a meningitis vaccine as a control group.

12 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Thais have cured Ebola, HIV, SARS, mad cow, bird flu, Ecoli, Zika and Elections so why not Corona?

They will also cure the alcoholics. 

Goddamit, who lifted the ban?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

You realize that others are way further ahead? Many are at the clinical test stage already (with humans). This is the longest stage. It usually takes a year or more. FYI, you don’t just inject a bunch of people with the vaccine and them send them into a room full of covid patients. That is why it takes so long. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust anything coming out of china, dodgy masks, dodgy ventilators, dodgy virus test kits. Now let me think, what would the CCP do to improve their world economic domination? Mmmmm, dodgy vaccine that makes you sicker. 

14 hours ago, fishtank said:

I would never had thought anything else. ????

Just like everything else in this B.S, country. What was the last vaccine (a few years back) they claimed they had discovered was it AIDS or HIV? All to go deadly quiet a week or so later. I don't think that anyone in the world apart from the brainwashed poor Thais will believe in anything that comes out of Thailand. What was the old saying "You can kid some of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". I just feel sorry for all the poor Thai people who are suppressed from getting a decent education so that they can understand and reject the B.S. they are fed every day by the people at the top. I sincerely hope that my cynicism is unfounded and that they HAVE found a cure for the covid19 and I will be the first to applaud them - this surely would gain a 'Nobel Prize' - the first ever for Thailand I think!  

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

I wouldn't trust anything coming out of china, dodgy masks, dodgy ventilators, dodgy virus test kits. Now let me think, what would the CCP do to improve their world economic domination? Mmmmm, dodgy vaccine that makes you sicker. 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/03/05/905484/why-the-cdc-botched-its-coronavirus-testing/

Or the US.

3 hours ago, mrfill said:

The total world knowledge about this virus is less than 6 months old. There is, as yet, no evidence of herd immunity or any immunity at all. We have lived with the common cold (another coronavirus) for many years and people have not developed immunity. Same with influenza. Previous pandemics also start, decline and then return, often with greater ferocity a second time. Some like the Black Death kept returning and the last outbreak was in San Francisco in 1900-4 which returned in 1907-8 - some 560 years later after the initial outbreak in 1348. Covid-19 may return or it might not. No-one knows at present for certain and they won't until it happens.

Black Death was a bacterial infection carried by fleas on rats - apples and oranges.  There was some immunity, but as a result of a rare DNA condition becoming more common, as those with it survived.

It is true the virus could mutate and return.  Hopefully we get to herd-immunity fast enough that it dies out before that can happen.  If it mutates, then whatever vaccine may become as useless as the annual flu-vaccine often does, even for the current year's strains.

• Like 2

The whole world has been saying it will take at least a year to have a vaccine ready. Suddenly, Thailand can produce one in weeks. This is the same university that a few years ago announced a cure for cancer, by the way. I wonder what happened to that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

Just like everything else in this B.S, country. What was the last vaccine (a few years back) they claimed they had discovered was it AIDS or HIV? All to go deadly quiet a week or so later. I don't think that anyone in the world apart from the brainwashed poor Thais will believe in anything that comes out of Thailand. What was the old saying "You can kid some of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time". I just feel sorry for all the poor Thai people who are suppressed from getting a decent education so that they can understand and reject the B.S. they are fed every day by the people at the top. I sincerely hope that my cynicism is unfounded and that they HAVE found a cure for the covid19 and I will be the first to applaud them - this surely would gain a 'Nobel Prize' - the first ever for Thailand I think!  

See my post above, #174.

4 hours ago, Greg O said:

Go ahead and volunteer for the "clinical trials" as they need volunteers to get tissues matched as well . "Just standard procedure Sir/madam."

Then You'll be asked if you're willing to donate your organs to science should you die...You can fill in the blanks from there ( use your imagination) and then you'll know what has and is happening in China.

The Organ banks operate at a very large profit margin...

Sheer rubbish.

Everybody can produce antibodies against anything when the organism has immune cells.

But remember the probleme is not antibodies against CORONA virus but the  corona virus infection is not lethal but the immune response.-----> no vaccine possible, no vaccine found for corona in mammales

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The whole world has been saying it will take at least a year to have a vaccine ready. Suddenly, Thailand can produce one in weeks. This is the same university that a few years ago announced a cure for cancer, by the way. I wonder what happened to that.

Plenty of labs can make vaccines. A number of them (including Thailand now) have them at the testing stage. The testing process takes very roughly a year. Thailand only says it has just started testing. I don't think we want another thalidomide. No sane scientist says they have found a "Cure for Cancer", it comes in well over 200 forms. When you read that it probably is a headline in the Daily Fail.

11 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Wow a real expert on the contents of vaccines, I wonder which wacky anti-vac site this came from, does it give you a link to the fake moon landing and the flat earth society?

However the basic understanding of the difference between an element and a compound (Primary school stuff) is completely lacking from the above. Thimerosal is a compound which has mercury as one of it's ingredients, so what. Compounds behave differently to elements. The human body is full of compounds which contain elements which would BY THEMSELVES be very harmful to us, Phosphorus, Sodium, and Magnesium for example. Hydrogen and Oxygen are both gases, mix them together and light a match and you get an explosion. Combine them chemically and you get water. 

The other consideration is dosage, the precursor to cyanide is in lemons, you can eat many lemons without the slightest danger. 

Arsenic is a deadly poison found in many foods, particularly brown rice. Given that it would take about 50 grams of arsenic to kill the average 150-pound adult, you'd have to eat nearly 7 million servings of rice—in one sitting—to achieve death by rice.

Jesus wept.

I agree with your general point - and many vaccines are effective and well-worth the very low-risk they will severely harm or kill you or your child.  It's a matter of odds - and for measles, mumps, whooping-cough, etc - much better odds to take the vaccine.  With the flu-vaccine and chickenpox, the evidence is not as clear - though would depend on an individual's likelihood of harm from the illness.

Why not just take them all?  In the USA, there is a special "vaccine court" where the government pays claims to protect the vaccine-makers from lawsuits - because a small number of people do die or suffer irreperable harm from taking vaccines.

Fortunately, thermisol, which is toxic, has been removed from many vaccines - at least, the ones used in Europe and the USA.  That is not to say I "believe" thermisol caused everything the anti-vaxxers said it did - but still glad we got that nasty mercury-compound out of vaccines.  While different mercury-compounds have Very Different toxicity levels, this seems like a win-win.

There is a sane, scientifically-minded, non-extreme position on this issue.  It's not all one or the other.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I agree with your general point - and many vaccines are effective and well-worth the very low-risk they will severly harm or kill you or your child.  It's a matter of odds - and for measles, mumps, whooping-cough, etc - much better odds to take the vaccine.  With the flu-vaccine and chickenpox, the evidence is not as clear - though would depend on an individual's liklihood of harm from the illness.

Why not just take them all?  In the USA, there is a special "vaccine court" where the government pays claims to protect the vaccine-makers from lawsuits - because a small number of people do die or suffer irreperable harm from taking vaccines.

Fortunatley, thermisol, which is toxic, has been removed from many vaccines - at least, the ones used in Europe and the USA.  That is not to say I "believe" thermisol caused everything the anti-vaxxers said it did - but still glad we got that nasty mercury-compound out of vaccines.  While different mercury-compounds have Very Different toxicity levels, this seems like a win-win.

There is a sane, scientifically-minded, non-extreme position on this issue.  It's not all one or the other.

Yes I agree, fair points. 

There is a sane, scientifically-minded, non-extreme position on this issue. 

Yes take the vaccine, unless we want to go back to Polio, Typhoid, Smallpox etc, era, they work. 

The relatively tiny but still tragic number of deaths, are almost all caused where the child has a weakened immune system, something doctors can't always know about.