mask? no way

Despite telling reporters he would wear a mask if it were “a mask environment” and being surrounded by them, the US President ignored signs around the factory saying face masks were “required”, instead wearing only a pair of safety goggles.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/trump-ignores-compulsory-face-mask-sign-on-factory-tour/news-story/4888bb9f3e47b5c724fc4c711ffd97d3

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Haven't you figured out yet that DT is the master of reality?  What is real is what HE SAYS is real.  The universe is at the mercy of his words.

Anyway he IS wearing a mask, only a radical leftist like John Bolton would say otherwise.  Personally I'd wonder if covid-19 could find a breeding ground in that junk he puts on his hair.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whether or not you had it is irrelevant anyway. Having had Covid-19 does not mean you cannot spread it in future.

You may be basing part of your assumption on the theory that if you have had Covid-19 you could be immune. However, as yet, immunity is unknown.

Whether or not you are immune is irrelevant anyway. If you are immune you can still be a contagious if you are carrying the SARS-CoV-19 virus without having any symptoms of Covid-19.

Thus: You choice / your prerogative not to wear a mask is just an 'eff-you' to anyone else around you (in public).

There are valid arguments for not wearing a mask which consist of educated use, replacing a mask regularly, disposing of it correctly etc, however, given your statement above it would appear the only thought you've given to this subject is that of a 6 year olds "I don't want to" - rather juvenile, uneducated and antisocial.

The notion that there is no immunity to Covid19, the illness, is almost certain to be wrong, even if there is no Western study that as yet confirmed immunity.

The Chinese Academy of Sciences have done a study where they infected Rhesus Macaque monkeys, the closest we have to humans, with levels of the virus that were known to make monkeys ill with Covid19. They suffered no reinfection symptoms after being put back in a contagious environement. One monkey was sacrificed and his lung examined in depth. No trace of Covid19.

https://www.genengnews.com/news/covid-19-reinfection-not-a-concern-monkey-study-suggests/

Immunity after a viral infection is what one would normally expect and it looks like experiments have confirmed this, even if a Western study on this is still awaited. It will surely come.

As for spreading the virus after infection a study by the German Bundeswehr has shown that the presence of the virus decreases steadily after recovery, after two weeks the study suggests patients can be released.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2196-x

This finding is supported by a Yale study where the presence of the virus lasts for 8 days.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200327091234.htm

Reports from Asia that a patient still had the virus after two months would appear to be very isolated  exceptions. Generally, after a 8-14 days the virus is gone.

Immunity is a reality, and infected patients are already being harvested for their antibodies.

So yes, maybe he could be contagious for a short period of time after recovery, but generally 8-14 days only and at the most 2 months. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I'm with The Donald on this one.  I know I had C19 back in February and I'm not wearing a mask now or anytime, which is my prerogative. 

If it's that bad then keep us all in isolation for the next ten years.  See if I care.  

I agree with you and Donald face masks suck and I also never wear one.......I give the thumbs up to people I see not wearing masks....

Edited by redwood1
  • Thanks 2

The latest official statement in NZ re masks is that the latest information they have been given is that the evidence is inconclusive. There are pros and cons for both wearing and not wearing one.

For sure, if the evidence was to wear masks nanny state NZ would have made it mandatory.

In the local community few wear one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Despite telling reporters he would wear a mask if it were “a mask environment” and being surrounded by them, the US President ignored signs around the factory saying face masks were “required”, instead wearing only a pair of safety goggles.

Good for him. You go Donald. You are the man.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whether or not you had it is irrelevant anyway. Having had Covid-19 does not mean you cannot spread it in future.

You may be basing part of your assumption on the theory that if you have had Covid-19 you could be immune. However, as yet, immunity is unknown.

Nevertheless, for this type of viruses immunity is the norm, is to be expected. Why should it be different for this Corona virus than for all its brother and sister Corona viruses?

So even if immunity might not be confirmed yet, or better the extent of immunity, it is to be expected. There is no clear indication that it would be otherwise.

(Unless it is enough reason that it would take away a reason for scaremongering, and therefore cannot be.)

1 hour ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Nevertheless, for this type of viruses immunity is the norm, is to be expected. Why should it be different for this Corona virus than for all its brother and sister Corona viruses?

So even if immunity might not be confirmed yet, or better the extent of immunity, it is to be expected. There is no clear indication that it would be otherwise.

(Unless it is enough reason that it would take away a reason for scaremongering, and therefore cannot be.)

At antibody research on other Corona viruses in humans immunity was seen for 1 to 2 years, with SARS a bit longer up to 3 years. It is deducted that for this latest SARS-Cov2 virus a similar immunity duration can be expected. So without a vaccine you’ll see waves hitting every 2 years or so, even when herd immunity is achieved after a single wave of infection. 

6 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

At antibody research on other Corona viruses in humans immunity was seen for 1 to 2 years, with SARS a bit longer up to 3 years. It is deducted that for this latest SARS-Cov2 virus a similar immunity duration can be expected. So without a vaccine you’ll see waves hitting every 2 years or so, even when herd immunity is achieved after a single wave of infection. 

But antibodies are not the only response of the adaptive immune system. One study found that of recovered patients only 30% had antibodies. That is because the adaptive immune system can also fight the virus with T-cells which completely destroy the virus. That is most likely why the recovered patients had no anti-bodies, they had strong t-cells that took care of the virus.

Antibodies are not the only path to immunity.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The latest official statement in NZ re masks is that the latest information they have been given is that the evidence is inconclusive. There are pros and cons for both wearing and not wearing one.

For sure, if the evidence was to wear masks nanny state NZ would have made it mandatory.

In the local community few wear one.

Interesting study here although not peer reviewed yet.

Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R0 of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Models show that if 80 percent of people wear masks that are 60 percent effective, easily achievable with cloth, we can get to an effective R0 of less than one. That’s enough to halt the spread of the disease. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/dont-wear-mask-yourself/610336/

I will continue to wear a mask until told otherwise......except when eating in a restaurant or snogging in a bar.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

......... and, obviously, muff diving....

Strangely, I did a bit of muff diving at the bar the last time I was in a bar. Unfortunately the bar was raided last Saturday for illegal opening so I doubt that it will be open again for some time.

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

From the Evidence review that this Atlantic article links to:

"... no randomized controlled trials (RCT) on the use of masks as source control for SARS-CoV-2 has been published.."

Okay then.