Many more bank branches might close in the aftermath of Covid-19

webfact

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

The goal is using the qr code. Register within  your app for promptpay. I pay you with your phone number. No phone? I can pay directly to your bank account via the app. I have no cash but need to pay in cash and forgot my atm card at home?  Cardless atm. I tell my app I need 500b...scb sends a code to your phone, input the code in the atm and done. Kasikorn uses qr codes with your phone, point at the atm machine and get your money.

Thailand is way advanced. Really no need for plastic. Need a statement? The apps email it to you within 3 minutes.

Thankfully the phone can't be hacked and your money disappears????

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Bank employees regard themselves as beyond argument, what they say goes.

Good luck with the debate about a polis report. And good luck getting a polis report (been there. done that). Bank on 3 hours of your day disappearing while a disinterested copper who speaks no English whatever (despite English being the official 2nd language of Thailand) types and then prints 3 copies of said report, which, when you read it, might as well be a confession to mass murder for all you know, unless you read Thai, which even the disinterested and monolingual polis officer probably could barely do.

Lot of luck, and welcome to the 3rd-world.

"Bank employees regard themselves as beyond argument, what they say goes." I would not be too quick to blame the tellers, they only do what their power tripping bosses tell them.

• Like 1

Just having a Bangkok Bank atm here in Surin that actually has cash in it for withdrawal would be a great step forward for mankind. 50% of the time, having tried & failed, I have to go to another bank's atm to withdraw cash.

• Like 1

All money transfers between falang banks and Thai banks goes always via Bangkok Bank.

Must have account there if you want avoid extra fees.

BKK Bank ATM's, pum and cash deposit machine's are oldest debris of all banks.

Could add some photos here?

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Just having a Bangkok Bank atm here in Surin that actually has cash in it for withdrawal would be a great step forward for mankind. 50% of the time, having tried & failed, I have to go to another bank's atm to withdraw cash.

Yah, got one near me as well. At least 70% of the time it tells me me there isn't enough money in the a/c. Odd though, go to another bank's ATM and it miraculously works. Weird. Welcome to the 3rd world way of doing things I suppose...

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Bank employees regard themselves as beyond argument, what they say goes." I would not be too quick to blame the tellers, they only do what their power tripping bosses tell them.

Tellers, clerks, the guy with the gun whose job is simply to sit down and look mean in possession of a bad haircut - they're all the same. Poison fruit of the poison tree, and they're all told never to let a customer speak to a manager - nonono not ever. Welcome to the exquisitely enlightened Thai way of doing business.

And for as long as the filthy foreigners smile and wai and say "thank you so much for ruining my day, you have a good one, bye bye", that filthy foreigner will get exactly the same treatment the next time around. There's only one way to change things and that requires patience and determination. The secret is to make life so unpleasant for the miscreant that s/he (it's normally a 'she') will see you coming next time and either run for their lives or put on their 'good service' jacket. Children need to be treated like children, not like adults. I know it's against European inclinations, but treat the little horrorbags how their pooyays treat them - learn how to speak loudly and press their fear button. That works every time, though the target will never be a friend.

No matter, they were never going to be a friend anyway so you lose nothing except the odd illusion.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

How do you make a cash withdrawal online in Thailand? Thailand is a long way from being a cashless society. In the UK I can pay for a round of drinks with a contactless credit card and ask for cashback at the same time, try that in Thailand.

I remember, when first moving to Thailand, paying for my shopping in Big C and asking for cashback. The cashier looked at me as if I had 2 heads. Thailand's banking system needs to move into the 21st century before it starts closing bank branches. We need more ATMs not less.

Complete nonsense.

Quite the opposite. Thailand seems 20 years ahead of the US. A transfer there to another bank costs me $35. Here I can do it online or at an ATM for $1, or less. Same goes for utilities, internet, cell accounts, etc. Far easier and more advanced here. So what if you cannot get cash back at a market. There are ATMs everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Tellers, clerks, the guy with the gun whose job is simply to sit down and look mean in possession of a bad haircut - they're all the same. Poison fruit of the poison tree, and they're all told never to let a customer speak to a manager - nonono not ever. Welcome to the exquisitely enlightened Thai way of doing business.

And for as long as the filthy foreigners smile and wai and say "thank you so much for ruining my day, you have a good one, bye bye", that filthy foreigner will get exactly the same treatment the next time around. There's only one way to change things and that requires patience and determination. The secret is to make life so unpleasant for the miscreant that s/he (it's normally a 'she') will see you coming next time and either run for their lives or put on their 'good service' jacket. Children need to be treated like children, not like adults. I know it's against European inclinations, but treat the little horrorbags how their pooyays treat them - learn how to speak loudly and press their fear button. That works every time, though the target will never be a friend.

No matter, they were never going to be a friend anyway so you lose nothing except the odd illusion.

A totally incoherent post. 

It might end up like the UK,where the Banks are closing as fast as the Pubs,

my 89 year old cousin ,used to have 3 banks in her village,all gone,has to get

on the bus, 12 miles to nearest big town to find one, Banks are not about

service now,only profit.

regards worgeordie

9 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

I know it's against European inclinations, but treat the little horrorbags how their pooyays treat them - learn how to speak loudly and press their fear button. That works every time, though the target will never be a friend.

I learned the same after a few years. No more Mr Nice Guy, now I go full on Sino-Thai angry granny on them. Sakdina seems to be inbuilt so yes, Pavlov's dogs react.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

A totally incoherent post. 

Really? oh. Must have been in Thailand too long. Things are probably different in Hua Hin. Or Mae Sot. Or wherever.

I can't help what works or who can't understand my posts. It is what it is. I do what works, you do what suits you.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

It might end up like the UK,where the Banks are closing as fast as the Pubs,

my 89 year old cousin ,used to have 3 banks in her village,all gone,has to get

on the bus, 12 miles to nearest big town to find one, Banks are not about

service now,only profit.

regards worgeordie

Little by little, the wheel will turn. It's the nature of things.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite the opposite. Thailand seems 20 years ahead of the US. A transfer there to another bank costs me $35. Here I can do it online or at an ATM for $1, or less. Same goes for utilities, internet, cell accounts, etc. Far easier and more advanced here. So what if you cannot get cash back at a market. There are ATMs everywhere. 

Well the UK is 20 years ahead of Thailand. Contactless payments are the norm. Most retail outlets givr cashback free. No need for ATMs or bank branches. Interbank transfers, monthly utility payments all free. had all my monthly bills set up to be automatically paid, all free. 

So if Thailand is 20 years ahead of the US, does that mean that the UK is 40 years ahead of the US?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

So if Thailand is 20 years ahead of the US, does that mean that the UK is 40 years ahead of the US?

I think so, yes. Countries that have actual paper checks belong in the 80's.

22 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:
On 5/7/2020 at 6:57 AM, Somtamnication said:

The goal is using the qr code. Register within  your app for promptpay. I pay you with your phone number. No phone? I can pay directly to your bank account via the app. I have no cash but need to pay in cash and forgot my atm card at home?  Cardless atm. I tell my app I need 500b...scb sends a code to your phone, input the code in the atm and done. Kasikorn uses qr codes with your phone, point at the atm machine and get your money.

Thailand is way advanced. Really no need for plastic. Need a statement? The apps email it to you within 3 minutes.

22 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Try using a QR code in a bar.

You cannot blame the bank if a retailer chooses not to use cashless facilities. Many small business's function a cash only system because that's how their suppliers operate. You just have to be observant. When a delivery is made, it's paid for in cash straight from the till. (if there is one) When they go to buy stock from Makro, one again it's cash they need. Their staff are also paid in cash. So they need cash coming in from their customers.

The banks are way up there when it comes to providing the facilities for a cashless society. It's up to the society to make the switch. As the old saying goes, 'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink'.

So please @Phil McCaverty before you start hurling unjustified brickbats at the banking system, get to know how society functions here.

Edited by Moonlover

17 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Well the UK is 20 years ahead of Thailand. Contactless payments are the norm. Most retail outlets givr cashback free. No need for ATMs or bank branches. Interbank transfers, monthly utility payments all free. had all my monthly bills set up to be automatically paid, all free. 

It would appear to be the case. I guess the US is one of the most backwards nations in the world, when it comes to banking. Hardly any of those conveniences are available in the US. Cashback yes. Bill paying at the ATM? Bank transfers? They are looking to milk the public to the max. And do the Feds do anything to help the consumer? Those days are long gone. 

Unfortunately about the only places i can use my cards are at BigC and Tesco. Everything else is cash ..... there are one or 2 places i could use a card BUT they will walk off with your card and do the transaction, or want to apply a surcharge!

ATM's - Use a foreign card and there is a substantial fee, plus cannot get out large sums of money. Foreign Bank to Thai bank transfers - fees, poor exchange rates. I have used Transferwise, and had the transfer fail frequently. QR codes? Not even sure if my phone has the capacity to handle them, it is continuously running out of storage space and i cannot download new applications. (it isn't that old)

Thai banks used to be somewhat helpful, but getting worse. Opening an account now a nightmare, and my friendly sub-branch who WOULD be helpful closed in January. 

I just need to do one or two counter withdrawals a month, my only interaction with the banking system here, except for my annual immigration docs. I hope it stays that way.

• Like 1