Are we alive because of diet?

CanadaSam

6 hours ago, DaLa said:

Dishwashing machines.

Hardly any here in LoS ergo we all wash the pots by hand many times a day. Resulting in the virus being eliminated.

UK , US , Europe; every other house has a dishwasher thus no hand washing. 

World wide, most pot washing performed by women . Result, more men catch the virus.

I’ll send my extensive research results to the BMJ once I’ve done tonight’s dishes.

i think you are onto something, but its the other way around,

the filth here strengthen peoples immune system.

from bum guns to hand washing in cold water,

it is a vile pile of infested filth

• Like 1

8 hours ago, connda said:

It's more likely that Thailand as a developing world and Thai in general don't have the same germ-adverse mind-set as do Westerners.  Therefore they are exposed to a wider range of bacteria and viruses than their Western counterparts, and as such, have stronger immunity system.

Westerners really are germaphobe, but it their aversion to pathogens which sets them up to have weaker immune systems.  Avoidance of pathogens weakens their immune system.

Thais take antibiotics like smarties, they are hardly healthy beings

Look at most old biddies here, they look like they are 500 years old

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jvs said:

I was reading it could have something to do with the sun,more sunshine more vitamin d ,less infection?

Then again ,could be anything.

How often do you see Thais getting their hour of vitamin D from the sun?

They are never in the sun more than a few mins unless absolutely necessary & then covered from head to toe in clothing

Dark skin takes twice as long to get vitamin D from the sun too

The reason Europe and cooler countries have white skin is to adapt to the weather

Our skin changed from brown to white to assist us in getting enough vitamin D as Europe/west doesn't get as much sun

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

That's why the only valid comparator is the number of deaths (in ratio with population).

The only valid comparison is excess deaths compared to previous years

Use a 5 year average and compare this year to that number

It will be interesting to see if Thailand fudges those figures too!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thousands of foreigners living in Thailand eat Thai food. At the risk of incurring brokenbone's wrath, I'm one of them. Diet is about 85% Thai. Love spices.

As I said before, IMO it's a happy combination of factors.

I'd certainly ascribe to the notion the very high death toll in America is partly diet-related. That, and the huge portions every restaurant there apparently have a commitment to supply.

I'm not aware of any health condition that is improved by obesity.

not at all, i like thai food most of the year,

but a couple of years ago, i stocked up 16 dishes to see me through

songkran, and at the end of those, i couldnt stand rice for half a year,

since then i need a break from rice 2-6 months per year.

more specifically, i cant stand soft boild rice aka kao suay,

it takes sticky rice or very well fried rice until its hard brown and very crispy, but alas none is interested in cooking it well

7 hours ago, Why Me said:

Probably a bunch of factors: better diet, more sun/heat, younger healthier population, BCG vaccination and a willingness to follow social rules.

Lordie, you have a country where there're people shooting guns because they don't want to wear masks (see the US) and you figure that country is in deep doodoo C-19 or no.

better diet ha ha

Have you seen the crâp Thais ram down their throats?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What do you wash your hands in? Boiling water?

Personally, I feel my a##e is much cleaner with a bum gun, than repeated wipes with tissue that just spreads my s##t around my backside.

If you think Thailand is so filthy, why didn't you leave years ago?

warm water is softer and can more easily wash away germs.

i got too much pain to relocate,

and besides, i hate cold with a burning passion

Edited by brokenbone

3 hours ago, brokenbone said:

not at all, i like thai food most of the year,

but a couple of years ago, i stocked up 16 dishes to see me through

songkran, and at the end of those, i couldnt stand rice for half a year,

since then i need a break from rice 2-6 months per year.

more specifically, i cant stand soft boild rice aka kao suay,

it takes sticky rice or very well fried rice until its hard brown and very crispy, but alas none is interested in cooking it well

I was more referring to using a single data point, something on which I have reproved you, then did myself. Peccavi.

Sticky rice and fried rice are two of the worst foods for constipation. Soft boiled rice is much better because the carbohydrate and fibre have been hydrolysed and expanded.

I would probably ear rice once a week. Prefer noodles, more easily digestible.

6 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

warm water is softer and can more easily wash away germs.

i got too much pain to relocate,

and besides, i hate cold with a burning passion

There is no difference between cold water and warm water in terms of cleaning. It's the soap or detergent used with them that does the job.

Water has a surface tension of 72 dynes/cm, cold or warm. Soap lowers that to 20 dynes/cm.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was more referring to using a single data point, something on which I have reproved you, then did myself. Peccavi.

Sticky rice and fried rice are two of the worst foods for constipation. Soft boiled rice is much better because the carbohydrate and fibre have been hydrolysed and expanded.

I would probably ear rice once a week. Prefer noodles, more easily digestible.

with the amount of chili i eat, it nullify any constipation effect.

as for data, he aint got nothing to back up the hypothesis

that food got anything to do with it, its just another alchemist recipe

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is no difference between cold water and warm water in terms of cleaning. It's the soap or detergent used with them that does the job.

Water has a surface tension of 72 dynes/cm, cold or warm. Soap lowers that to 20 dynes/cm.

your numbers makes it sound credible, but evaporation

points to lower tension with rising temperature

Edited by brokenbone

7 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

The only valid comparison is excess deaths compared to previous years

Use a 5 year average and compare this year to that number

It will be interesting to see if Thailand fudges those figures too!

It should be accurate if you take only the deaths for medical problems

if not this year the number should be less because less roads accidents

with the curfew and the ban on alcool, plus the others travel restrictions

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It should be accurate if you take only the deaths for medical problems

if not this year the number should be less because less roads accidents

with the curfew and the ban on alcool, plus the others travel restrictions

It is still the most accurate short-term measure.  Sure, there will be fewer deaths on the roads, in industrial accidents and numerous other activities curtailed because of lockdown.  There will be more through domestic violence, other conditions going untreated.  And some will die with covid rather than of it but be counted...but still way more accurate than any other measure.

PG

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I would venture a guess that the warm climate has something to do with suppressing the virus... 

Absolutely! Think about the cold virus. When are you most likely to get colds? When the weather turns cold. THis is when the temperature enters the sweet spot for transmission.

Take a look around the world. Russia was an extremely slow starter in this pandemic - why? probably because of the freezing weather. Viruses do not transmit as well during a deep freeze. Weather warms up into the sweet spot for the virus transmitting and we get a heavy outbreak in Russia.

Prediction (and remember you saw this here first!): as the northern hemisphere goes into summer, you will see a reduction in transmission rate - following the lockdown and maintaining some social distancing, you will see almost no transmission if the summer is warm. (If you get a 13 degrees July as occurred in the UK a few years ago, the virus will continue to rage!). Warm weather does not mean no virus - it just means much less, as in a "summer cold."

If social distancing is not maintained (masks, open restaurants but keeping diners 2 meters apart etc), you will get a resurgence in the Autumn. Just as in the "Spanish Flu" in 1918. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Very good point. The pubs in the UK during the colder months tend to be packed with people and stuffy, no windows open, no fresh air, horrible experience sometimes. I much prefer drinking in a bar with open sides, hence why I like South East Asia.

You forgot to mention the more attractive bar staff here too though!!! ????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The answer is super simple. In thailand and most asian countries the doctors are labeling flu and pneumonia deaths as they should be, In western countries to get more funding EVERY hospital is labeling every death it can as Corona! The real death rate of Corona is 0.02% in western countries, flu season is just about over and there are literally no pneumonia deaths and hardly any flu deaths....Look at the real numbers and you will see what is really going on!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I have already submitted a list of 8 things it could be, one of them being the food.

I would not agree with you on the subject of masks, social distancing etc as in the US & UK

they only just this week started to really realize the importance of, where here in Bangkok it has been the norm for 2 months. In the villages in Thailand there is pleny of sun, breeze & our village are actually scared of it (even although there is still not one case)

I have seen 2, aircraft photos of full (or nearly full) aircraft only last week .

in the US & the UK where there are no masks & even the crew are wearing no protective equipment,

Indeed i saw an interview in the street in New York where 14 guys talked & acted like Sana Claus will come & fix it. To me disgraceful, dangerous & ensuring another 100,000 will die with this attitude

I rest my case.

The major problem I see in Thailand is when the borders are opened & incoming International tourists

come back . The reality is that we do not want tourists for the next 6 months from USA,UK, Italy,

Spain, China, HK, Germany, France, & pretty well of Europe, Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia etc

What is left ? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

The answer is super simple. In thailand and most asian countries the doctors are labeling flu and pneumonia deaths as they should be, In western countries to get more funding EVERY hospital is labeling every death it can as Corona! The real death rate of Corona is 0.02% in western countries, flu season is just about over and there are literally no pneumonia deaths and hardly any flu deaths....Look at the real numbers and you will see what is really going on!

If true, how do you explain the excess deaths over the five year average for the same weeks ?

PH

21 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Is our diet saving us?

Not at all! 

It has nothing to do with the food. 

It is all about who is protecting who. 

In this part of the world, we are protected by the Buddha, and it works. 

In Western Europe, protected by the politburo in Brussels, and in the US, protected by the Donald, it doesn't work. 

Some deities are better than others... simple at that... 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The major problem I see in Thailand is when the borders are opened & incoming International tourists

come back . The reality is that we do not want tourists for the next 6 months from USA,UK, Italy,

Spain, China, HK, Germany, France, & pretty well of Europe, Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia etc

What is left ? 

I fully agree with that. 

Open everything now (why wait?), but keep the borders closed, let other countries experiment with tourism, and see the results. 

If a country opens to tourism, and that upon returning home, some tourists test positive, it will be hell. 

Both countries will accuse each other of being unsafe... no one will know who got what and where... panic will settle once again... 

• Like 1