Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Public opinion sought on relaxation of lockdown measures and curfew

webfact

18 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

How are the lady bars supposed to operate with a face mask?  And, of course, I am referring only to the drinking beer part of their job.

They'll have many more months to find a solution.

Could people possibly be more negative?   As i see it the very worst outcome is people answer the questionnaire,  wherever it is,  and feel good about themselves for contributing,  even if the government ignores the answers.   It must be foreigners being so negative.    Thais are more positive.   5555

31 minutes ago, newatthis said:

The last two times the people had a say: Thailand ended up with a dictatorial constitution and then a continuation of a junta government. Why would anyone want their opinion again?

Correct.  Public opinion is a complete waste of time.

Look now at Germany...

BERLIN (Reuters) - New coronavirus infections are accelerating again in Germany just days after its leaders loosened social restrictions, raising concerns that the pandemic could once again slip out of control.

Edited by Tarteso

Whether they authorities follow the opinions or not, it is notable that they at least ask. The "gestapo" in the USA and Canada don't even go through the motions. I honestly believe that, although far from perfect, Thailand is freer than the home countries of many of us expats. Yea!  Thailand!!!! 

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

has released a questionnaire via Google form for Thais

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The centre will gather their opinion

And completely ignore it, as they have no say in the matter.

The tyrannical man-babies running this country don't want to know what to ignore....they want to know what the Thai people would prefer so they can enact 'emergency' decrees against those wishes.

Just trying to guess what will make the average person's life awful is tough to do....this is much more effective. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Public opinion sought????? Why those in control here will never take any notice, so why even suggest it?

The curfew no longer serves any purpose whatsoever! Open the malls and small businesses, to help ordinary Thais to re build the economy, so simple, many are starving. The HOT Thai climate, the travel ban and the first months lockdown were productive, hence we have sensationaly low cases and death rates compared to the rest of the world. You have won the fight Thailand, yes there will be a few more cases, maybe, but you have it under control. OPEN UP AGAIN and keep the masks and temperature guns going, testing kits for sale and prescription free hydroxychloroquine to be used as a prophylactic would be sensible, 70 yrs as a Malaria drug its safe! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Public opinion sought????? Why those in control here will never take any notice, so why even suggest it?

Those in control everywhere pay attention to public opinion, regardless of their politics.

You may recall the recent controversial alcohol ban, that was on/off at the beginning of the month.  Was that due to public opinion/pressure?  Maybe - but it would be naive to believe they were not paying attention.

Now we have the virus, no groundbreaking therapeutics and no vaccine on the immediate horizon.  We also have an economy that needs to be restarted and a lock-down that will become increasingly unpopular.  No political leader wants to be caught in this situation.  We simply cannot stay in lock-down indefinitely, marching the economy off a cliff, and if things are re-opened then, yes, some people are going to contract the virus and die.

I would argue that public opinion/pressure is important. Leaders are much less likely to face enormous backlash for the decisions they make when public opinion/pressure was with them.  There are tough decisions to be made.

Edited by expat_4_life

I would like to be treated like an adult and be allowed to have a glass of wine or a beer with my meal in a restaurant.Whats this the problem. I just don't see it. It's not a bar I am in a restaurant observing social distancing sitting two meters apart. But no I have to drink water or some <deleted> sugar drink that should be banned

• Like 2

First all of pay the people their 5000 b to those who pay Pakan Sakhom (Social Secuity) every month.

Second let the people have their glass of wine with their dinner in a restaurant with restaurant license????

Edited by flyfrog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Look now at Germany...

BERLIN (Reuters) - New coronavirus infections are accelerating again in Germany just days after its leaders loosened social restrictions, raising concerns that the pandemic could once again slip out of control.

According to this website

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

I don't see any signs that infections are accelerating again.

Germany seems to have handled the CV crisis extremely well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, loong said:

According to this website

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

I don't see any signs that infections are accelerating again.

Germany seems to have handled the CV crisis extremely well.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1279936/germany-lockdown-coronavirus-Thuringia-Angela-merkel-second-wave-COVID19

The local government in North Rhine-Westphalia has been forced to re-introduce lockdown measures after 150 of 1,200 employees at a slaughterhouse in Coesfeld tested positive for COVID-19.

Edited by Tarteso