Motorbike accident - Need help!

13 hours ago, EricTh said:

I remember that during visa application, one of the criteria was no criminal records.

I wonder whether punching people constitute a criminal act in Thailand?

In the US, the policy was if you were simply convicted, that was ok, but if you were jailed all bets are off.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:30 PM, Covid19Everywhere said:

I knew before they have some racism going on against Europeans, but now after I seen that even the Police participate in that and show no heart, I can’t stand supporting this country anymore.

I am sick of all the fake smiles too. I hate fake people.

Thais also scam Thai people - not only foreigners.

I didn't read everything here but a lot. What just came to my mind:

The passport and paying for the damage are independent from each other. If he does not give you the passport back and you tell that to your embassy you should be able to get a new one - just tell the truth.

And about the repair bill: The fact that he tells you that is what you have to pay and that the police doesn't do anything to contradict him still does not mean you have to pay. I am pretty sure if he wants the money from you he has to go to a court or law (or something like that). And then he will present a motorcycle rent contract for a Z300 and a repair bill for a different bike. Will any judge accept that and order you to pay?

I would get the details of that bill translated (unofficially for now). You write you could still ride the bike, correct? Is anything in that bill which would only be on a bike which can't be used anymore? That would show things don't add up.

Is everything on that bill what was actually damaged on the bike you were riding? If not, why not?

It seems what he tries to do now is fraud, presenting you a bill for a different bike. That is also fraud in Thailand.

And which shop did the repair? Where are the orders and invoices for all those parts? Which dates?

I am pretty sure things won't add up and that is what should convince a judge that he tries to same you - fraud.

I know all of this is extra headache for you but he is the one who has to prove you damaged the bike so that it needs parts for 70k. Let him prove it! 

36 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems what he tries to do now is fraud, presenting you a bill for a different bike. That is also fraud in Thailand.

Maybe the holding of the passport could also be deemed to be extortion.

Edited by taotoo

On 5/17/2020 at 9:21 AM, Covid19Everywhere said:

I think this discussion show one thing:

The legal system in Thailand is not like in our home country, this bill would be smashed by any police officer.

But nothing we or I can do about that.

Any negotiations with the rental guy failed. The police don’t want to help me to get my passport back. Most likely they will get some tea money from the rental guy.

The guy who made the accident will never ever pay me one Baht.

So I am just <deleted>, because I made several mistakes:

1. Giving him my passport just because the longlivinghere Farang girl owner of my rental place told me she never had problems.

2. Not asking the police to document the damages on the bike, because they told me I don’t need to pay anything.

3. Let the rental guy picking up the bike, again just because police told me I don’t need to pay anything.

So lessons learned:

1. Never ever handout your passport

2. After accident even if I am shocked let Police document everything of the damages.

3. Don’t trust the police guys know what they are talking about.

Expensive lesson. Don’t care too much about the money, more about that this scammer will get it. I still have a lot of hate against him, but again what should I do?

Thanks for all answers, you can leave this thread open for further discussion but I lost any hope that something happen will get me around these <deleted> 74.000 Baht.

Perhaps a look at Thai defamation laws would have been in order before you posted this. Shop name deleted by me

ATTENTION!! SCAMMER!! CRIMINAL!! I rented a bike from this guy and he kept my passport as deposit. I had an accident with the bike but not my fault. Police confirmed this. The other guy who was responsible for the accident promised to pay. The damage on the bike was a joke, nothing big. The owner asked for 72.000 Baht(!!!) from me, otherwise he will not give my passport back and make sure I can not come back to Thailand. For 72.000 Baht you can buy the whole bike in Thailand! And I needed to pay. I contacted a lawyer but they say no chance to get this settled without court. And civil court case more expensive than 72.000 Baht. This guy knows that and take advantage of my passport. Local police does not care, why?! You can think for you own! Make sure you avoid this guy and his rental shop!! SCAMMER!! BAD PERSON!! 

Edited by Big Joke

49 minutes ago, Big Joke said:

Perhaps a look at Thai defamation laws would have been in order before you posted this. Shop name deleted by me

ATTENTION!! SCAMMER!! CRIMINAL!! I rented a bike from this guy and he kept my passport as deposit. I had an accident with the bike but not my fault. Police confirmed this. The other guy who was responsible for the accident promised to pay. The damage on the bike was a joke, nothing big. The owner asked for 72.000 Baht(!!!) from me, otherwise he will not give my passport back and make sure I can not come back to Thailand. For 72.000 Baht you can buy the whole bike in Thailand! And I needed to pay. I contacted a lawyer but they say no chance to get this settled without court. And civil court case more expensive than 72.000 Baht. This guy knows that and take advantage of my passport. Local police does not care, why?! You can think for you own! Make sure you avoid this guy and his rental shop!! SCAMMER!! BAD PERSON!! 

???

Let's imagine for a minute this would have happend in another so called civilized country. Does the police sort out these kind of disputes? As far as I know not. They record the complaints. They report i.e. there was an accident with x and y involved. As far as I know it's not the job of the police to sort out or even try to help negotiate who pays what.

I understand that the OP does not want to pay. I also understand that the guy who rented out that bike wants a compensation. They can and should negotiate. And maybe the police can advice about the law. And the police may fine a person who causes and accident. But the police does not decide who pays, how much and when.