My Fellow Americans, particulary those living in Chiang Mai: What is the LATEST news on PASSPORT RENEWAL at the Chiang Mai Conulate? Has Anyone been Successful in Renewal of their Passport (recently)? Super-Important Topic for Many Here.

JohnBarleycorn

9 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Can anyone decipher the following words published on Th.usembassy.gov?:

The U.S. Embassy will no longer provide extension of stay requests. U.S. Citizens in Thailand temporarily have between now and July 31, 2020, to either return to the United States or their country of permanent residence or to obtain the appropriate visa type for your long-term stay in Thailand.

Please refer your specific visa questions directly to the Thai Immigration Bureau. More information can also be found here: https://immigration.go.th/content/extend_alien?click=1

Looks like clear English to me, what can you not "decipher"?  Or what are your specific questions?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Looks like clear English to me, what can you not "decipher"?  Or what are your specific questions?

I don't understand why the Embassy is processing extension of stay requests.

I thought this was always done by Thai immigration.

Every time I extend my visa, I go to Thai immigration, and I never go to the US consulate or embassy.

Strange wording, and I do not know what it means.

3 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Every time I extend my visa, I go to Thai immigration, and I never go to the US consulate or embassy.

Thailand requested travelers stuck here due covid-19 to obtain such a letter from their Consulate requesting extension.  Embassy provided - then Thailand made it automatic until July 31 so service no longer required.

Edited by lopburi3

7 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Normally they don't extend if the passport hasn't got a full year's validity left.

Hopefully, they will be more lenient in a time like this

As I said before - they extend to expiration date of passport if less than one year.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Thailand requested travelers stuck here due covid-19 to obtain such a letter from their Consulate requesting extension.  Embassy provided - then Thailand made it automatic until July 31 so service no longer required.

OH, I see.

So, Thai immigration is still processing retirement visa extensions and not the US Embassy.

Maybe the US Embassy should try to be less terse in its published statements, and less ambiguous as well.

There is an old quote which goes something like two nations divided by a common language.

The Americans in government office are still learning English, it seems, or they have forgotten it.

8 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

OH, I see.

So, Thai immigration is still processing retirement visa extensions and not the US Embassy.

Maybe the US Embassy should try to be less terse in its published statements, and less ambiguous as well.

There is an old quote which goes something like two nations divided by a common language.

The Americans in government office are still learning English, it seems, or they have forgotten it.

Careful what you say, mate.    Some at the Embassy may read his forum.

9 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

It says they are NOT providing extension of stay requests.  That is different from your “is processing”.  You do have a problem reading, you find strange wording because you change to something that was not written.,

Do some research and find the meaning of “provide extension of stay request”, it is not extension of visa and it is not words from Thai Immigration.

Or don’t and continue to be an irritant.

15 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

OH, I see.

Certainly seems most understood and you are lonely in the failure to understand group.  Have fun blaming your sheeat on others, makes you feel smarter, good.

4 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Jesus John how could you think the US Embassy might be processing Thai retirement visa extensions?  That is some kind of new record for TV posting.

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Jesus John how could you think the US Embassy might be processing Thai retirement visa extensions?  That is some kind of new record for TV posting.

Listen, Dante, during these times of great uncertainty, if the eight circles of he-l became nine, just as Hendrix sort of sung about in his great "If a 6 turned out to be 9", then I would not be shocked, and I would take it in stride.

And anyway, almost anything can happen in the US State Department, which I think is good from the perspective of, as Zelda often maintained, "She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring".

By the way, nobody but nobody can write the like Irish. And, nobody can talk like them either.

In the next life, I refuse to be a boring American, chiefly because I would rather return as an exciting Irish writer.