Problem using LINE on older ipad

watthong

Last week I gave my ipad mini (1st gen - IOS 9.3.5) to a friend. I logged out from my LINE account on it. However, it was impossible to log back in from either my account or any other, whatever I tried to work around it always came back to "You have to update your LINE app - or your OS". The funny thing is the LINE app was installed not that long ago, within Covid era so to speak, without any hiccups. I'm reluctant to think that LINE has updated its policy to phase out older ipads just so recently? I looked around on youtube but no luck, seems like LINE is not that well known in other parts of the world.

Any input or advice? Much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Found this on the help.line.me website:

Recommended system specifications for LINE

iPads
• iPad 4 or later (iOS 11.0 or later)

iOS
• iOS 10.0 to 10.3.4: LINE 9.16.1 and earlier

You cannot create a new account or transfer your existing LINE account if you're using iOS 9.3.6 or earlier. For details about account sign-up and login support ending for LINE 9.1.0 and earlier for iOS, see this Help article.

1 minute ago, RichCor said:

You cannot create a new account or transfer your existing LINE account if you're using iOS 9.3.6 or earlier.

I was able to do this not long ago. At most within the last 2 months or less.

Hmm. According to that blabermouth Wikipedia, "The most recent stable release for iPhone and iPod Touch, iOS 13.4.1, was released on April 7, 2020."

So I'm assuming that version usability for many iOS apps would have been bumped after that date.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, watthong said:

Last week I gave my ipad mini (1st gen - IOS 9.3.5) to a friend. I logged out from my LINE account on it. However, it was impossible to log back in from either my account or any other, whatever I tried to work around it always came back to "You have to update your LINE app - or your OS". The funny thing is the LINE app was installed not that long ago, within Covid era so to speak, without any hiccups. I'm reluctant to think that LINE has updated its policy to phase out older ipads just so recently? I looked around on youtube but no luck, seems like LINE is not that well known in other parts of the world.

Any input or advice? Much appreciated. Thank you in advance

I think that you are out of luck as the last update for iOS 9 was 3.6 and that was a very unusual one as it was only recently and may well have only been available for a short time. It was released to update the GPS firmware as well as a few other things to allow older devices to continue to function, you should try to see if it’s still available that would be your only chance.

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

Hmm. According to that blabermouth Wikipedia, "The most recent stable release for iPhone and iPod Touch, iOS 13.4.1, was released on April 7, 2020."

So I'm assuming that version usability for many iOS apps would have been bumped after that date.

Current Version Usability is likely to have been bumped. There are a number of apps that maintain an older version specifically to allow running on older iOS versions. These are not something that you can search for but they are offered if your iOS version is not supported by the current release. There are not many of these and I don’t know if line is one of them. I suspect not as it will not install on an iPhone 4s

I don’t know the version numbers of line installed on my iPad 3

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Current Version Usability is likely to have been bumped. There are a number of apps that maintain an older version specifically to allow running on older iOS versions. These are not something that you can search for but they are offered if your iOS version is not supported by the current release. There are not many of these and I don’t know if line is one of them. I suspect not as it will not install on an iPhone 4s

Line has not just one, but two older versions that old ipads can install, "Line for ipad" and "Line," each has a different version number. I don't remember which one that I initially was successful installing and using (until logging out of the app.) But in trying to get back in, I installed both versions and the gotcha! moment always occurred during the verification process. FWIW, I think most apps have older versions for older ipads, the app always asks if you want an older version if it sensed that your ipad is of a "certain age." But allowing you getting an older version doesn't necessarily mean that it would let you use it, as in the sad case of yours truly. 

Edited by watthong

5 hours ago, watthong said:

Line has not just one, but two older versions that old ipads can install, "Line for ipad" and "Line," each has a different version number. I don't remember which one that I initially was successful installing and using (until logging out of the app.) But in trying to get back in, I installed both versions and the gotcha! moment always occurred during the verification process. FWIW, I think most apps have older versions for older ipads, the app always asks if you want an older version if it sensed that your ipad is of a "certain age." But allowing you getting an older version doesn't necessarily mean that it would let you use it, as in the sad case of yours truly. 

The older version is Line for iPad, it’s requirement is iOS 7 or later, it has mostly bad reviews.

It certainly isn’t the case that most apps have older versions. For several years I was teaching basic iPad/iPhone security and usage so have many hundreds of apps, in my experience most do not maintain older versions but the ones that do usually work though with restrictions. 

line has some unusual restrictions and logging on can be interesting, SWMBO was logged off her iPad when logging into her new phone

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

line has some unusual restrictions and logging on can be interesting, SWMBO was logged off her iPad when logging into her new phone

In happier times I was able to log onto an ipad and a samsung tab simultaneously on same line account. But considering the intricacies (that's in itself is an understatement) of Line method of logging in, and Apple version userability working in tandem, I would refrain from doing any change to a working Line account on an (older) ipad right now. Lesson learned.

6 hours ago, watthong said:

In happier times I was able to log onto an ipad and a samsung tab simultaneously on same line account. But considering the intricacies (that's in itself is an understatement) of Line method of logging in, and Apple version userability working in tandem, I would refrain from doing any change to a working Line account on an (older) ipad right now. Lesson learned.

That is precisely why I am not going to experiment at the moment. I am, however getting my first ever smartphone, as our new car has Apple CarPlay built in so I need something to run Sygic. SWMBO is not amused that she has to tag along with her new, again a first, iPhone 11 Pro so I can run Sygic.

When my SE 2020 arrives I have a number to transfer to it from my iPad. That doesn’t have a line account associated so it’s going to be interesting to see if line on my old iPad, iOS V9.3.6, will function.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

17 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

So it might be off topic slightly but how do I add someone on LIne? Do I need the name or E-mail or phone number?

Depends how they're registered on the LINE service.

Most account require a phone number when registering so that's the preferred method of adding users. The program can also search your device contacts to look for known LINE users.

If the LINE user has supplied a username or email in their profile setup then you could try those (though I believe most users don't provide this non-required data unless they also use the service on an iPads or computer).

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It rather helps if you look at the correct information.

E90721AF-41D1-4A5C-AD60-70F5B6B8E2EB.jpeg.4a4b1e44762a32e7b531fa6e5293ec73.jpeg
A9EEEC49-A4B2-451C-A664-CDC658C2C038.thumb.jpeg.9ebc8afc79f9b20988931cc696a68cad.jpeg

Noted. But, Jerome will have to offer up that Line version. The one in the app store is what I went with.

Edited by Curt1591

2 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Noted. But, Jerome will have to offer up that Line version. The one in the app store is what I went with.

That is on the App Store that is where the screenshot was, it’s available to download if you have already downloaded it before here is the screenshot from a different place.AF926833-98D5-412B-8C45-034AB32DBA3B.jpeg.315ee728af9a8585a8ba4d0d5a7a2d1c.jpeg

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is on the App Store that is where the screenshot was, it’s available to download if you have already downloaded it before here is the screenshot from a different place.AF926833-98D5-412B-8C45-034AB32DBA3B.jpeg.315ee728af9a8585a8ba4d0d5a7a2d1c.jpeg

Apparently, Line offers different apps for different regions.

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Apparently, Line offers different apps for different regions.

I don’t think that is what is happening in this case.

In my experience there are applications which are no longer available for purchase (you still buy a free app) but are kept available to download for those who have purchased them in the past.

A reason for that is it allows Apple to offer usability on small capacity devices using the Offload Unused Apps function.

C9E5B174-7FE3-4CBF-A5A9-D3B5AC5232F4.thumb.jpeg.7aae2c75b49ff905f9c13ec4f9b5010f.jpeg