Thai Baht Rates

I just checked the currency exchange rates after seeing on ABC News that the Baht is worth 32.5 to the USD and 27.06 to the AUD.

Whereas TV Baht Rates states that 1USD is worth 34.85 and the AUD 29,06.

I then checked Forex Rates and they are the same as ABC News stated.

Why is TV so far out?

Most likely the difference in ON- (Thailand) and Off-shore (outside Thailand) rates.

You can also click on this link for actual rates:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/fds/hi/.../13/default.stm

you can change from UK pound sterling to US$ and Euro, as well as 'travel money' and than click on the 'Baht'; you will see charts from intra-day to one-month, three-month, 12 month periods.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Onshore rates in thailand are better than bought offshore. :o

The reason for my concern is that I have to do an affidavit at the Embassy on Wednesday re my income.

My pension is drawn on my Oz a/c through ATM in T,land so I surmise I can use the higher rate as a conversion,is that correct,I dont want to run into strife at Immigration over currency exchange rates.?

It depends on your embassy, but if you have the option of declaring your dollar income as baht, at the actual rate you're exchanging your money to baht, that should be fine. Some officials in embassies or Thai immigration police will use their own rates, depending how they feel that day, apparently.

As I recall, my embassy declaration was in the home currency (US$), and the immigration official converted at his option.

Exchange rates are driven by free market...anybody can charge what it pleases.

In fact in some embassies one can pay services in their country currency or the local currency, and the exchange rate is made to be convenient to for the cash management ,e.g. rounded figures.