Students, parents highlight problems on first day of govt’s online learning

webfact

Students, parents highlight problems on first day of govt’s online learning 

By The Nation

800_d63de41909e530f.jpg?v=1589784288

Photo Credit: PxHere

Netizens, both students and parents, complained of being hit by a variety of problems on the first day of online and satellite distance learning today (May 18).

Today is the first day the Education Ministry organised online learning for students nationwide via six channels – digital TV, Ku-Band and C-Band satellite TV, the Distance Learning Television (DLTV) website, smartphone application, and YouTube channels.

The hashtag #เรียนออนไลน์ (studying online) was ranked as the number one trending topic on Twitter as netizens voiced their problems that included no learning materials, inappropriate teaching media, technical issues, unable to note content in time and website crashes.

Students must register to attend classes running from 8.30am to 2.30pm under the supervision of their parents.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388049

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-18

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

as netizens voiced their problems that included no learning materials, inappropriate teaching media, technical issues, unable to note content in time and website crashes.

what do they expect  ? it is a thai government project; education ministry no less

Edited by YetAnother
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I saw one assignment for P5 students where they’re asked to prostrate in front of their parents or guardian, etc. Pics of prostration will earn extra points. Apparently prostration will bring happiness and success. I’ll be sure to tell my missus when she gets home from work. 

Speaking of which, I'm due for getting one of those checks.  Does a doc checking your prostrate also bring happiness and success?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

Speaking of which, I'm due for getting one of those checks.  Does a doc checking your prostrate also bring happiness and success?

I know a place in Pattaya that does 'milking', whatever that means...

Under supervision of parents?What if they need to work?,and they do of course.

Kids home alone?

Does every one have internet?

Many more questions and in the end it will not work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I saw one assignment for P5 students where they’re asked to prostrate in front of their parents or guardian, etc. Pics of prostration will earn extra points. Apparently prostration will bring happiness and success. I’ll be sure to tell my missus when she gets home from work. 

How has something so demeaning as that not been abolished. It is like the middle - ages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

How has something so demeaning as that not been abolished. It is like the middle - ages. 

Oh boy, for many (older) teachers in the profession such practices are central to their status. Such ceremonies seem to be what they live for. 

A couple of years ago the local military were concerned that the children were not drinking their school milk properly; no. I don't understand what it has to do with the army either! The edict went out that the children had to drink their milk properly, supervised by their teacher. I had a particularly funny lively P6 class (12 year olds) that year, so we did drinking milk by numbers. I showed them the old "Dad's Army" clip of L/Cpl Jones teaching the platoon to salute by numbers, and then we drank our milk by numbers:, up 2 3, mouth 2 3, tip 2 3, swig 2 3, down 2 3. They loved it! The old bat in charge of "cultural studies" complained to the Principal/Revd Mother -  lack of respect for Thai traditions or something. I got a couple of the brightest (girls inevitably) and showed the Principal the clip, and then the children demonstrated drinking drill. She laughed! The old bat hasn't spoken to me since, she openly refers to my daughter as "that falang girl" and she gave my daughter a poor (grade 2) mark at the end of the year. All the rest of her marks were 3, 3.5 or 4.

The point of this little story is that the concentration on the practices on which you, quite rightly, comment, are regarded as central - it doesn't matter if they can't speak, read, write, add or subtract - but they must be able to Wai to the correct depth!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The old bat in charge of "cultural studies" complained to the Principal/Revd Mother, lack of respect for Thai traditions or something. 

They seem to believe that prostrating on the floor is something to do with Thai culture. It isn't at all and was done in many other places and religions in the past. However, most societies have realised this is utterly demeaning and abhorrent in this day and age and stopped the practice of doing it. Sadly, it is still very much part of the indoctrination and brainwashing in this country. 

• Like 2