Is there ANYWHERE I can travel to?

jfny

I have been stuck in Chiang Mai for months. I would like to go down south to the islands. I don't even care which island at this point. Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao, Ko Lanta, etc.

I can not find the information anywhere showing which locations are still open for travel and which ones are locked down. Apparently this information is not posted anywhere online.

So where am I allowed to go? Anywhere?

It doesn't need to be open today. Primarily it's because my girlfriends birthday is on June 8th, 2020 which is 20 days from now and we have been talking about going to island since before coronavirus. I know they are opening the malls now. Any idea if some of these islands will be open by then? Will I be stuck in 2 weeks quarantine if I go?

Where can I even find this information? Thai government has list posted somewhere online?

Edited by jfny

Call local hotels.. They know best.

I was able to rent a condo for some days last week (hotels are closed). And after searching we even found a beach without warning signs about closed beaches. It was in Sattahip. It's not an island, but after Bangkok for some months I was happy with everything.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i also would like to know the answer to this question. 

has there been a announcement from the government about allowing non essential travel yet?

and so would i.

About a week ago the Bangkok Post stated in one of there boxed articles that inter provincial travel was restricted but gave no details. Now i see that buses are running from Bangkok to north and north eastern provinces, so does that mean the restriction has been lifted and its now a free for all.

Anyone got any or a source to definitive information ? Thanks in anticipation. 

My wife drove from issan to Koh samui a week ago and only stopped during curfew time. When getting on boat had to sign where she was staying and had been and that was that .

There are hotels open here but not all and some bars are open as restaurants and actual restaurants but not all. 

On 5/19/2020 at 6:39 AM, jfny said:

I don't even care which island at this point. Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Tao, Ko Lanta, etc.

97960675_135127781478867_738791845869387

Good news for Koh Tao lovers 1f642.png???? The island is now unlocked ????. Registration is required upon arrival, no medical certificate required, no 14 days home quarantine if coming from non-risky places like Samui.

???? Lomphrayah will resume boat service Samui-Koh Tao on this 25 May onward.

Source: Samui info by Nicha.

I had a friend riving down from northern Isaan and coming over by ferry to Samui last week. He spend about half and hour in registration before boarding the ferry (with car), including lots of questions. He had to show proof of a return ticket. However things might change fast.

It sems possible to get to Samui.

There are two daily flights from Bangkok from last Friday, four daily flight from June 1st.

Lomprayah catamaran ferries are however operated with speed boats only.

Most hotels and resorts are closed, but those open should be allowed to accept new guest after May 1st; a friend having a resort at Phangan told me.

Only a few resorts are open on the beach where I live – so it's not crowded – and not that many restaurants, but some few. No pubs and no night life, and the Nationwide curfew is in order. Otherwise life seems relative normal, but shopping malls only party reopened.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:05 PM, NCC1701A said:

i also would like to know the answer to this question. 

has there been a announcement from the government about allowing non essential travel yet?

If you read news online you'll get info about everything during the Coronavirus-situation. Read for example The Nation. 

Edited by Max69xl

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you read news online you'll get info about everything during the Coronavirus-situation. Read for example The Nation. 

That's not true at all. The Nation gives you general rules only. Each province has its own rules they are making that are not published in the nation. 

A good example. I'm in chumphon. If I leave to Bangkok and return back to chumphon.. I must quarantine 14 days again. Even though the city is open and bus service has begun slowly. The mayor has chosen to demand quarantine from people arriving. 

As others have mentioned, Ko Samui is the best bet right now. Last I checked, people going to Ko Tao and Ko Phangan still had to do 14-day self quarantine with regular checks from the officials. 

Otherwise there still aren't many options for getting to the islands, although that might change by next month. As of now, Ko Chang, Ko Samet, Ko Lan, Phuket, the Ranong islands (Ko Phayam etc.), Ko Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, the Trang islands (Ko Mook etc.) and Ko Lipe, among many others, are are still locked up for tourism. Only residents or those who have official permission allowed. And many of these provinces are still requiring 14-day quarantine for anyone crossing the provincial borders, let alone the islands. Again, though, next month could be a different story. Hope so because I could use a day at the beach too.

9 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

I ll tell you one thing I would never go to Death Island , Koh Tao 

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

You don't need to have Covid-19 to get killed there

What is the deal with everyone scared of Ko Tao? I just had friend go there and say it was great. One of the best scuba diving spots. I only read one story online about some mafia incident several years ago. But they have mafia in a lot of places. I've dealt with these people before and know how to avoid issues. I've been to some pretty bad places in the world so I'm not easily intimidated. I need concrete evidence in order to dismiss it as a bad place not to go. What is so bad about it? You have links to stories?

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:55 PM, dimitriv said:

Call local hotels.. They know best.

I would imagine the answer to "can I come to the island?" would be a "yes", whether the operator had any clue or not. 

Very early on, I learned to never ask a Thai business person a yes or no question. You will either get a "yes" because they don't understand you but it seems nicer, or a "yes" because it will be more profitable for them.  

51 minutes ago, jfny said:

What is the deal with everyone scared of Ko Tao? I just had friend go there and say it was great. One of the best scuba diving spots. I only read one story online about some mafia incident several years ago. But they have mafia in a lot of places. I've dealt with these people before and know how to avoid issues. I've been to some pretty bad places in the world so I'm not easily intimidated. I need concrete evidence in order to dismiss it as a bad place not to go. What is so bad about it? You have links to stories?

It may be illegal to write about it.

Edited by uhuh

44 minutes ago, jfny said:

If you dare to go to Koh Tao ... you are risking your life