Uk Child Benefit

:D

With a baby on the horizon, I've heard (may not be true) that it's possible to be able to clain UK child benefit for kids born here. I'm British but my Mrs is Thai. :D

Have any of you guys and girls ever tried? heard of this? been sucessful?

Looking forward to all sorts of humourous replies to yet another of my daft questions.. :o:D

With a baby on the horizon, I've heard (may not be true) that it's possible to be able to clain UK child benefit for kids born here. I'm British but my Mrs is Thai.

If she's got indefinite leave to remain (ILR), she claims it, not you, and gets the child tax credits as well. The hospital will probably give you the forms when the child is born. If she's still in the probationary period (further leave to remain - FLR or still here on the initial visa), I believe you get them. Between the two of you, you are definitely entitled to them in respect of non-immigrant children. Nationality per se is not relevant to the issue - it's immigration status that matters.

If your wife will get them, she will need a National Insurance number. Unfortunately, unless things have changed recently, she can't get it just for child benefit / tax credits until the child is born. Ridiculous! It would be much simpler to hold the pointless interview before she has to travel with a pram.

If you want to know more, it's worth signing up to Thailand-UK.com and searching their forum. This is far more a UK-related than a Thailand-related issue - Wireless Road is out of the picture!

Remember, child benefit is in part the old child allowance against income tax, and child tax credits are similar.

Richard W

Can you state ONE reason why a child bor to a THAI mother on THAI sole is entitled to claim benefits from the UK.

Did you read the question or do you truly believe your answer?? :o

NO WAY is what you are saying correct.

If a child BORN in the UK leaves the UK for say 6 years in Asia then the child CAN NOT claim either.

It depends on where 2long is living. The question was ambiguous, as 'here' is not defined. I had been assuming the UK, but if he is living in Thailand, I'd be inclined to agree with you. There might be some strange provisions if he is paying UK income tax, though.

:o Thanks everyone. Sad to say that 'here' is Thailand and it was just something I'd heard 2nd or 3rd hand and wanted to ask. The UK government are a tight bunch of of you-know-whats and, unless I'm an East European or poor Arab that's travelled through Europe to become a refugee in UK and claim a house, job and money, don't hand out nowt to nobody!

If you're in the UK you can claim child benefit for any children settled in the UK. (i.e. Born in Thailand or the UK is not an issue, although it might be simpler to claim for a child born in the UK, as they'll already be "in the system").

However, if you leave the UK for 2 months or more, you lose eligibility until your return. i.e. You can't live in Thailand, and claim UK child benefit.