Tests show no asbestos contamination in talcum powder: FDA

rooster59

Tests show no asbestos contamination in talcum powder: FDA

By THE NATION

800_700239f1d725e88.png

Supattra Boonserm

The talcum powder "Johnson" sold in Thailand is free from asbestos contamination, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said.

Johnson & Johnson had previously stopped selling the talcum powder in the US and Canada, after its products were found contaminated with asbestos, a carcinogen.

FDA vice secretary-general Supattra Boonserm said that the agency had collected 18 samples of talcum powder in Thailand in 2020, including four samples of Johnson & Johnson products. The lab test found no asbestos contamination in the products, she said.

She added that the FDA had strictly monitored the production and import of the powders.

Talcum powder is normally made of talc, a clay mineral, in powdered form and is often combined with corn starch. According to safety standards, it should have no asbestos or other harmful substances.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388399

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-24

Asbestos is found in deposits in the ground, always very closely accompanied by deposits of talkum. 

Much like stinging nettles and doc leaves grow together. 

While there is none in the test done by the fta. It can quite easily, and often has found itself accidentally contaminated, and it's still always a possibility in the future, seeing as the talcum is collected by peasent farmers and bought by agents, much the same way as rubber, palm or cassava are here. 

I for 1 will always stear clear of using it, and would discourage anyone that I care for from doing so too. 

Amazing how many kinds of  powders are sold here. A fixture of Thai culture,

as in the US I once counted breakfast cereals at a big supermarket, Including different flavors

(Honey nut Cheerios, Regular Cheerios) I gave up at 50. There were more than 50 kinds of breakfast cereal

that I rarely buy! I don't buy talcum powders much either.

0-1.jpeg

6 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

J and j didn't pay out billions in the US for nothing. 

northsouthdevide,

Of course they did.  Like all corporations, they find it cheaper to just pay and get on with business rather than spend decades litigating.  Bayer is doing the same thing right now with Roundup despite the fact that the FDA cleared glysophate decades ago as safe.  Trial attorneys know they can essentially extort settlements.  That in turn has cause many companies to become only distributors into the U.S. market shielding them from product liability real or imagined.