What's Up With The Duke's?

Ulysses G.

There is a thread over in the general forum about an investor who was kidnapped in Thailand and one post seems to imply that it is the same guy who was helping David open the new branch of The Duke's.

I am told that The Duke's has been closed for several days with no sign or explanation and the phone is either broken or off the hook.

Anyone know anything?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1251415

He told police he had been involved in the oil and gas business in Texas

- Associated Press

:o:D:D:D:D

Mark is a business man who was very successful in the oil and gas business in the USA and moved to Thailand to invest in the restaurant business here. To date he owns two restaurants in Phuket and is a partner in the Dukes in Chiang Mai. He was in the process of buying and opening another business and the funds had been brought in from overseas for that purpose. I understand from Mark that the main culprit in this plot is his house maid who was aware of his business activities and is married to one of the kidnappers.

There is a thread over in the general forum about an investor who was kidnapped in Thailand and one post seems to imply that it is the same guy who was helping David open the new branch of The Duke's.

I am told that The Duke's has been closed for several days with no sign or explanation and the phone is either broken or off the hook.

Anyone know anything?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1251415

He told police he had been involved in the oil and gas business in Texas

- Associated Press

:o:D:D:D:D

Mark is a business man who was very successful in the oil and gas business in the USA and moved to Thailand to invest in the restaurant business here. To date he owns two restaurants in Phuket and is a partner in the Dukes in Chiang Mai. He was in the process of buying and opening another business and the funds had been brought in from overseas for that purpose. I understand from Mark that the main culprit in this plot is his house maid who was aware of his business activities and is married to one of the kidnappers.

Funny, when reading this the picture in my minds eye was of the old TV laugh-In , WWII German soldier played by Artie Johnson saying " Verrrreeeeee Interestinnnnng "

My vote for hoping it does not slow down the opening of the new place...

Gonzo

Dukes was scheduled to close for 3 days 16-18 incl. for Songkran holiday. Dave and nearest and dearest have gone to Chiang Rai for a well earned break. Back to normal on 19th. New place is hoped to be up and running on 20th, but this is only tentative. Can't throw any light on the kidnapping, sorry.

Cheers!

enough advertising for duke now I think

Dukes available for take away then? :o

yes but it is going to cost about US$800,000 and you have to provide your own bag :D

Seriously I am pleased he is ok and the situation was successfully solved.

UG have you been in contact with him?

CB

I had dinner there last night with "The Duke"and the boys and Dave joined us.

David is excited about opening the new place in a few days and his investor being kidnapped hasn't really interferred with business, but he is trying to get his buddy Sly Stalone to star in a movie about the caper and give Dave a smaller part.

He was also really excited that The Duke's won a prestigious Thailand Tattler Best Restaraunts in Thailand Award as only a few are given out in Chiang Mai, so it's quite an honor.

He was also really excited that The Duke's won a prestigious Thailand Tattler Best Restaraunts in Thailand Award as only a few are given out in Chiang Mai, so it's quite an honor.

Gee, that really is bad news.....according to my dictionary,prestigious means " low, cunning, deceitful and underhanded".....and has NOTHING to do with prestige!

sorry to be a pedant yet again....I fight a losing battle against using the wrong words!!!!

What planet are you from?

The Webster's English dictionary says that prestigious means honored, distinguished, renowned, celebrated, glorious, brilliant, etc. and this is an English language forum so we are using the positive meaning. :o

Gee, that really is bad news.....according to my dictionary,prestigious means " low, cunning, deceitful and underhanded".....and has NOTHING to do with prestige!

sorry to be a pedant yet again....I fight a losing battle against using the wrong words!!!!

What's that? Yours a Latin dictionary?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=prestigious

What planet are you from?

The Webster's English dictionary says that prestigious means honored, distinguished, renowned, celebrated, glorious, brilliant, etc. and this is an English language forum so we are using the positive meaning. :o

Obviously not from the same strata as you....

the word prestigious is derived from prestidigitation ....and NOT from prestige....

prestidigitation , if you did not know...is sleight of hand and conjuring tricks........try the SOED.

So lannarebirth's link to definitions yields this (3rd definition of 4):

prestigious

1546, "practicing illusion or magic, deceptive," from L. præstigious "full of tricks," from præstigiæ "juggler's tricks," probably altered by dissimilation from præstringere "to blind, blindfold, dazzle," from præ- "before" + stringere "to tie or bind" (see strain (v.)). Prestige is from 1656, from Fr. prestige "an illusion" (16c.). These words were derogatory until 19c.; prestige in the sense of "dazzling influence" was first applied 1815, to Napoleon. Prestigious with this sense is attested from 1913.

Where do you get "low, cunning, deceitful, underhanded" out of this?

To blind, blindfold, dazzle, OK.

:o

he's got a point, though I in almost wish he didn't. (in light of the thread, not personally)

Anybody see that movie about magicians called The Prestige.

I don't see that he has a point at all. If the question were what is the etymo;ogy of the word, then yes, maybe. but that's not the question. The meaning and usage for a century or two is just how UG used it. Language evolves and this word did a long time before any of us were born.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. In 1546 (!) in archaic English it meant something slightly derogatory. UG's point is, and I concur, this is 2007. The language has changed; moved on.

So get DOWN 'wit yo BAD SELF, home dog........ :o

Currently there are 43,987 members on this forum...

Of that number, it is my opinion that 43,985 would take perstigious as a complimentary term....

Of that number 1 wouldn't !!!

Of that number 1 is now in a mental institution and does not have a vote.....

Now

I think The Duke's is the best all around restaurant in CM

I like David..... he is a great guy....

I want to congratulate him on the new award.....

I want him to have the best of success in the new location, and I know he will

Now

For anyone wishing to bad-mouth Dave, I want you to know we have a group around here with white sheets who have a barrel ot tar and a bag of feathers, and a slow pony...... need I say more

Oh, I HATE that tar and feather stuff. So messy.

Can't you just use a WW II era flamethrower and be done with it?

I gotta surplus one I could lend you..... :o

Thats step 3 , right after the old swag pony gets far enough out of town.. :D

PS how about a rental ??? BBQ????

Oh, I HATE that tar and feather stuff. So messy.

Can't you just use a WW II era flamethrower and be done with it?

I gotta surplus one I could lend you..... :o

Anyone with more that 500 posts will know I parked my personal flame thrower very close at hand :D

On topic I am pleased that the situation with the the kidnapped American worked out well in the end. Hope they do well with the new location.

Hmm Sylvester Stalone doing this movie - I can see him tied up on the bed, his right leg chained and a bag over his head saying those imortal words "Adrienne - where are you?"

:D

CB

I was too lazy to go to the Duke's last night, but I am told that the investor who was kidnapped was there telling tales about his imprisonment and David was pitching him his idea for a movie about it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have been informed that The Duke's new Night Bazzar Branch will be opening tomorrow Friday, 27 April, some time in the afternoon. Should be running fairly smoothly by evening.

Me and the boys will be there in the evening along with The Duke and his entourage. :o

I have been informed that The Duke's new Night Bazzar Branch will be opening tomorrow Friday, 27 April, some time in the afternoon. Should be running fairly smoothly by evening.

Me and the boys will be there in the evening along with The Duke and his entourage. :o

I think I will go there myself after work, should arrive at around 7:00pm

pleased he is ok

CB