Red Plates

sgunn65

We will be buying a car (probably new) in the near future. My wife tells me that when the car is on red plates you cannot use it after 5pm or on expressways!

In any other country I would laugh at her but TIT so can someone please tell me if this is correct.

Thanks

We will be buying a car (probably new) in the near future. My wife tells me that when the car is on red plates you cannot use it after 5pm or on expressways!

In any other country I would laugh at her but TIT so can someone please tell me if this is correct.

Thanks

Yes, she is right :o

Apparently, you are not allowed to carry cargo in the back of pickups with red plates. I was stopped in Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok, 11 years ago for carrying a few (less than ten) small trees (less than 1 metre high) - the cop appreciated I could not know the law in this regard and sent me on my way (bribe-free!).

Hi

Nobody say anything today, had 2 cars with red plates, had a run to "no man lands" in Malaysia no problem, 12.000 km with red plates never been stopped (for driving with red plates) Second car 9.000 km no problem.

Hi

Nobody say anything today, had 2 cars with red plates, had a run to "no man lands" in Malaysia no problem, 12.000 km with red plates never been stopped (for driving with red plates) Second car 9.000 km no problem.

It is true, you cant drive before sunrise and after sunset and its also true you cant drive to another province than the one it was registered in........ its to prevent theft.

Of course, in reality, its unworkable. I bought my pickup from khon khaen, family drove it to BKK and then I drove it from BKK down South approx 800 km. Not stopped once which was a bugger because I paid for my license

JAF

PS First time driving from BKK to the South, during Songkran........I think it made a man of me hahahaha

great law, isnt it? paid the money for a brand new car, paid for insurance and everything and cant use it.

am on a red plate right now and no problem so far whatsoever.

heard though when you have a bkk red plate you can drive to any province.

checked with my insurance as well if car is protected - they said sure as they got the engine and chassis numbers.

if a cop would stop you it sets you back 300 baht, payable at a police station.

so any tea money higher than that would be a rip off so to say.

The 'after dark' rule was cancelled last year, I think the 'out of province' one was too.

'Real' red plates are accompanied by a book detailing all the vehicles they've been on, they also have a government seal on the plate itself (can't see that being difficult to fake though).

Never had any problems with mine, two months until we got permanent plates, drove all over with no hassles.

The 'after dark' rule was cancelled last year, I think the 'out of province' one was too.

That is my understanding also and that there are no restrictions. The expatmotors.co.th website also states that.

do you have that in writing somewhere? because the honda girls know nothing of a cancellation and another red plate car was stopped right in front of me. would love to have that written paper in my car.

When I recently bought a new car, they didn't have any red plates and instead taped a handwritten piece of paper inside the wind shield. The dealer told me that I could take the car anywhere I wanted and would have no problems. (????) The car sat in the garage except for local trips and I used my pickup. It took more than six weeks to get the plates. :o

That is my understanding also and that there are no restrictions. The expatmotors.co.th website also states that.

do you have that in writing somewhere? because the honda girls know nothing of a cancellation and another red plate car was stopped right in front of me. would love to have that written paper in my car.

It's all rather a long time ago, but I remember reading about it in the paper (BKK Post I suspect). IIRC they didn't actually repeal the law, just downgraded the offence to a 'misdemeanour' (whatever that means) so in theory they can still use it as an excuse to stop you for a little extra tea money :o

'Real' red plates are accompanied by a book detailing all the vehicles they've been on, they also have a government seal on the plate itself (can't see that being difficult to fake though).

Never had any problems with mine, two months until we got permanent plates, drove all over with no hassles.

I heard this as well last year. Saying it was unworkable