Really Need A UK Bank Account

I am about to get a large cash lump sum from my pension and i really don't want it all to get transferred to my Thai kasikorn bank account all in one go at this current abysmal rate.

The main problem I have is that I no longer have a UK bank account. My Barclay's Bank account was closed due to inactivity some years ago and I have been all over the internet trying to suss out a way to get a UK bank account, but the requirements are that you need to be a UK resident. Which I have not been for the past 10 years even though I am a British citizen.

I opened a Transferwise borderless account which you can hold multiple currencies and it will give you an actual bank account number where you can have money paid into it,.,, For example I have opened a GBP balance and before I can get the UK style account number and sort code I need to veerify it by making a 20 GBP deposit... here is where the problem starts. I tried making a deposit from my Thai bank, but the system does not allow THB deposits.. So I tried depositing through my Thai credit card knowing the currency will be switched from THB to GBP but i keep getting an error message just as the payment is being made, i have also tried my ATM/Debit card with the same result.

It seems i MUST deposit funds from one of the accepted currencies and unfortunately I don't have any accounts in those currencies.

Therefore it looks like I have to find a way to get a UK bank account so i can make the deposit by GBP, then i can get my account details to give to the pension company.

Is there ANY way I can get GBP into my account any other way, or does anyone know of any way iI can get a UK bank account whether traditional or online or even a virtual credit card in GBP or USD where i can load from here withouit  the need for a UK address... I am lost on this one.

Many thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, cliveshep said:

Ask a UK friend to deposit the money for you and transfer money to him?

Thanks but no can do.... The deposit must only come from a source in my name.

This is a verification process.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

you can open an online account with Monzo or Starling (two very good online banks) you will need a UK address (daughter, son or friends address)? you will also need to aply online using a VPN so it shows you are online in the UK. Good luck

Wont he need proof of living at that address, like a bill or something official ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you can get round that........................... I did so when opening a TW account for my missus. I think I just transferred from my account.......................... I will see if I can check in my old records.

TW is your best route, no UK bank will open an account for you. Even with a 2m Baht transfer limit they provide an excellent, cost-effective service.

Plan B is to open a Foreign Currency Deposit account with, say, Bangkok Bank (the best choice when I did it) and ask the pension trustees to remit to that account.

Plan B is the optimum method, considering you're going to continue to live in Thailand. Of course, you would be subject to BKK fees and their exchange rates, when you convert back to Thai Baht. 

39 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Plan B is the optimum method, considering you're going to continue to live in Thailand. Of course, you would be subject to BKK fees and their exchange rates, when you convert back to Thai Baht. 

Nope... There is no point opening a BKK Bank account when i already have a Kasikorn Bank account. I can already get my lump sum paid into that account, but I don't want to transfer 2 million baht at this time when really only 200K baht will suffice me to the end of the year and i know the GBP is going to rise considerably by then.

The amount is 50,000 GBP, that means for ever baht the GBP rises is an extra 50,000 baht.

That is the reason I want it sent to Transferwise, so it sits there as i monitor the exchange rate over the coming months.

There are 4 reasons why the GBP should rise a lot later in the year. 

1... There will almost certainly be some sort of free trade deal with the EU despite the wranglings over a few issues, both parties will see sense.

2... Once the UK exits the EU transition period on Dec 31st, that will give investors certainty no matter what the situation.

3... The UK/US free trade deal should be in place by the end of the year.

4... A free trade deal with japan should be in place by then also.

Each one of these factors will boost the GDP for sure.

I think the GBP is the lowest it is ever going to be, and that it is only going to go one way from here. That is why I baulk at the thought of doing the transfer in full at a crappy rate like this. Transferwise is perfect for my needs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I use this account with Santander, my pensions are paid into it and I fund my Transferwise transactions from it, I opened it up online from Thailand a couple of years ago.

https://www.santanderinternational.co.uk/banking/bank-accounts/gold-bank-accounts

is it an offshore account?  I don't know how you open a UK onshore account without having a UK address and being able to prove residency, by rental contract, utility bill etc.  That has been the law for a good few years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Ask a UK friend to deposit the money for you and transfer money to him?

I cannot imagine anyone in their right mind doing such a thing. I opened an offshore account in Jersey with a UK bank, doesn't deactivate for lack of use, at least it hasn't for past 20 years when I have hardly used it.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

is it an offshore account?  I don't know how you open a UK onshore account without having a UK address and being able to prove residency, by rental contract, utility bill etc.  That has been the law for a good few years. 

Yes, it's offshore and it targets expats, you do need to provide proof of your current address, and again if you move, I used a local bank statement, credit card statements aren't acceptable, or a mailed letter from HMRC.
The debit card is useful as I can use when visiting the UK and can pay UK bills online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be wary of Monza, Sterling , I have read many bad reviews, so do check throughly so that your money does not get frozen in an account with them , as poor customer service if things go wrong. I went to SIngapore and opened a bank account with both HSCB and DBS. DBS is excellent, suggest you contact these banks in Singapore and find out exactly what is required to set up  a bank account .

Excellent  customer service and no need to do online banking, which is much safer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Brewster67 said:

Nope... There is no point opening a BKK Bank account when i already have a Kasikorn Bank account. I can already get my lump sum paid into that account, but I don't want to transfer 2 million baht at this time when really only 200K baht will suffice me to the end of the year and i know the GBP is going to rise considerably by then.

The amount is 50,000 GBP, that means for ever baht the GBP rises is an extra 50,000 baht.

That is the reason I want it sent to Transferwise, so it sits there as i monitor the exchange rate over the coming months.

There are 4 reasons why the GBP should rise a lot later in the year. 

1... There will almost certainly be some sort of free trade deal with the EU despite the wranglings over a few issues, both parties will see sense.

2... Once the UK exits the EU transition period on Dec 31st, that will give investors certainty no matter what the situation.

3... The UK/US free trade deal should be in place by the end of the year.

4... A free trade deal with japan should be in place by then also.

Each one of these factors will boost the GDP for sure.

I think the GBP is the lowest it is ever going to be, and that it is only going to go one way from here. That is why I baulk at the thought of doing the transfer in full at a crappy rate like this. Transferwise is perfect for my needs.

My suggestions would be, the Bangkok bank has a branch in UK so if you had a Bangkok bank a/c in Thailand maybe they could help you in that way.

If you had a previous UK address and are a British citizen, have proof of a permanent Thailand address try First Direct online bank they may except you as they are a member of HSBC group whose Asian based.

I had an a/c with FD in UK and coming to Thailand they just excepted my Thailand address.

Barclays and Nationwide refused to renew my credit card so I ask First Direct and they gave me a Visa card straight away.

If you PM me you can give them my name and address as a reference and explain your situation FD are based in Leeds UK.

14 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My suggestions would be, the Bangkok bank has a branch in UK so if you had a Bangkok bank a/c in Thailand maybe they could help you in that way.

If you had a previous UK address and are a British citizen, have proof of a permanent Thailand address try First Direct online bank they may except you as they are a member of HSBC group whose Asian based.

I had an a/c with FD in UK and coming to Thailand they just excepted my Thailand address.

Barclays and Nationwide refused to renew my credit card so I ask First Direct and they gave me a Visa card straight away.

If you PM me you can give them my name and address as a reference and explain your situation FD are based in Leeds UK.

HSBC are London, UK based.

First Direct will not accept a non-resident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can try online master card debit account company ViaBuy.

They were in the UK but moved to Luxembourg after Brexit.

I have an account in Europe with them. I just load the money there and then transfer it. Or vice versa have payments come in and move it elsewhere.

However, my account is in Euros being a European resident.

It's worth a try.

I also get payments via paypal. I can then transfer this money in other currencies to various bank accounts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Unfortunately not.  You have to be a UK resident for ANY UK bank to open an account for you.

I opened an HSBC account invthe UK through their International Banking division, without a UK address. But I am an existing HSBC premier account holder in Hong Kong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

My suggestions would be, the Bangkok bank has a branch in UK so if you had a Bangkok bank a/c in Thailand maybe they could help you in that way..

I've used the Bangkok Bank in London but they don't offer deposit facilities, their service allows you to send them a cash deposit which they then send to your account in Thailand straight away, you have to send the full amount not drip feed when the rate is in your favour.
Nevertheless it's a good service.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

Always make me chuckle when a person who has been a member for four weeks makes comments like this regarding other posters who are trying to help. ????

Aww. Glad I made you chuckle.

So who had the bestest idea and has the OP acted on any of them?

• Sad 1