Fixed Deposit rates with Bangkok Bank

Hi, interests are very low in Thailand and Thai Baht is starting become weaker. So , 6 months ago I went to KL and managed to open an account in MYR. That time FD gave 4 %  and now is 2.45 % ,,, not so bad. And  no tax on it if you are not American.  Of course they check your passport and everything. Good Luck. It helped me to open an account at CIMB Malaysian Bank ,,,, because I had an Preferred Account at CIMB Thai Bank. You got it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why mess around with fixed deposit savings acct now as their interest rate is really low (approx 0.5% for a 12 month fixed at most of the major Thai banks and if accessing the money before it's fixed maturity date you lose all or most of the interest.   Maybe consider the Krungsri Bank Mee Tae Dai (MTD) saving acct....as of 2 Jun 20 is paying around twice the interest of a typical fixed acct.  The MTD is basically like a regular savings acct with debit card...ibanking/mbanking....assess your funds at any time without loss of interest....two free withdrawals per month....but 3rd and subsequent withdrawal per month incurs a Bt50 fee.   See page 11 of below Krungsri 2 Jun 2020 deposit rate schedule for full MTD details.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/getmedia/cd780d9e-29d3-4401-a5d1-ae2d25589bd1/deposit-rates-02062020-en.aspx

image.png.fee55c601de3c6afaddff1a42dad1d18.png

16 hours ago, Pib said:

Any idea why the interest rate is lower for larger deposits? A person can get 1.3% if they open online with less than ฿100,000, but if the person tries to park the ฿800,000 they need for certain visa situations, they only get 1%? I've never been a banker, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm curious if anyone knows why it works this way.

3 hours ago, mcl2504 said:

Any idea why the interest rate is lower for larger deposits? A person can get 1.3% if they open online with less than ฿100,000, but if the person tries to park the ฿800,000 they need for certain visa situations, they only get 1%? I've never been a banker, but that doesn't make much sense to me. I'm curious if anyone knows why it works this way.

Just the marketing approach for this product....put some extra flavoring on the worm on the hook for the first Bt100K...get you hooked by opening an acct and then back off on the amount of flavoring used.

If you look at various Thai bank products and interest rates you can see all types and interest rates focus towards different groups of people as one product does not fit all nor entice all.

Go into any branch. If you have a very large sum say over 5 million you should ask to see the manager and challenge them to give you a better rate. 

Personally I would not lock in for 2 years, you might get 1/8th of a per cent better rate but having your cash tied up for 18 months longer doesn't seem wise to me.

Also try Kasikorn instead of Bangkok bank they are very responsive and will give you a credit card if you put a few million in, plus a card that gets you into business lounges at the airport foc.