Visa Rules And Flight-booking (return Tickets)

My family and I were originally planning on an extended vacation in Thailand for 6 months. I've lately become aware that you can't do this without some difficulties. Today I got a reply to an e-mail from the Thai embassy here in Norway:

Dear Sir, You can apply for Tourist visa. With the visa you can stay 60 days in Thailand. You have to send 1. Original passports + 1 copy of the page of the personal data 2. Two photos of each person 3. A copy of return flight ticket 4. Fee is 200 NOK for each persons 5. A visa application form for each person which can be printed out from www.thaiembassy.no 6. An envelope with your address + stamps .You have to ask from the post office how much youhave to put on the envelope for the returning 6 passports. With this visa, you can go to the Immigration Bureau in Thailand to apply for the extension of staynot more than 30 days. Then you can stay in Thailandaltogether 90 days from the date of entry. Best regards.

As we are 6 people going (my wife and I and kids from 2-9yo) we'd try to fix as many things in advance as we can, so I've got two questions:

1. Is there any way we can apply for visas for the duration of our trip in advance (6months)?

2. If we can't, is there any way to avoid booking the return ticket with the "wrong" return date? I'm guessing the Thai embassy will not give us our visa if our return flight leaves well 3 months after the visa they've issued has expired.

1. You should request a two entry tourist visa which would cover almost 180 days (a little short of six months). If they will not provide, it would require you and family to visit a consulate in Malaysia or Laos during your trip for several days to obtain a new visa or to make monthly border crossings for 30 day entry for the last (almost) three months. Border crossings for 30 day stay are currently not on the most favored list by immigration officers. So in the best case (two entry) at least one border run would be required (to activate the second visa entry).

2. You will have to ask Embassy about ticket date but would think a return ticket would be enough proof. You could be planning other travel in the area so should not need to return on a specific date.

Thanks for the informative reply.

One more question:

Are the two-entry tourist visas common to get hold of, or are they something they only issue in special circumstances? I.e. can I expect to recieve such a visa if I apply for it, or is there almost no point in trying.

I got a reply from the embassy here in Norway, here's the mails:

Hello,

We are a family of six that have been given a six months leave of absence from our jobs. We are looking at going on a vacation to the South East of Asia, and would like to spend as much time in Thailand as possible, as we've heard it's a beautiful country.

I've tried reading up on the visa-rules and was wondering if you were still issuing two entry tourist visas still, and if so what requirements were needed to receive one?

Dear Sir,

You can apply for double entries tourist visa.

You have to send :

1. Your original passports + 1 copy of the page of personal data

2. Two photos of each person

3. A copy of your flight return ticket

4. A visa application form for each person,

which you can print out from www.thaiembassy.no

5. Fee is 400 NOK for each person

6. An envelope with your address + stamps for

returning your passports by registered mail.

Best regards.

It seems I might be able to achieve what I wanted. Thanks for the help (so far). :o

Edited by harryarne

Yes they aren't always helpful, email them again, and say exactly you want, this is my understanding

you cant stay more than 90 days

the max tourist visa is 60 days

a 60 day visa may be extended for a further 30 days, then you must leave the country

once outside the country you can apply for another tourist visa

this is where it gets hazy, not all Thai embassy's will grant 60 day tourist visa's, therefor you must go the the right country, Laos is a no, Penang in Malaysia - maybe not, KL and Singapore are better bets

Regarding your tickets - get 6 month open returns - that will be fine.

A single entry visa expires if you leave thailand, so it can only be used once

A 60 day double entry or multiple entry (if they have them) allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand without needing a new visa, a 60 day double entry visa is not 2 60 visa's back to back (120 days) its a visa that last for 60 days and doesn't not expire when you leave Thailand.

IMO the best you can hope for is a single or double entry 60 day visa, extend for 90 days (pay another fee) then fly down to Singapore, go to the Thai embassy and ask for another 60 day tourist visa, no guarentee you will get it, but you should if you can show your ticket home, enough money and place to stay

Get the TV w/extension gives you 90days, then use the 3(30) day border runs and that should do you for the 180days.

Eh, that was not the point of my note, I just wanted to notify that I was indeed helped by the answers I was given, and that the Thai embassy in Norway seemed to issue theses visas.

I actually sendt 2 emails to them, the second was:

> Thank you for the answer.

>

> Is there no way for my family to stay in Thailand as tourists for more

> than 90 days?

Dear Sir,

With double entries tourist visa you can stay 60 days in Thailand

and you can contact Immigration Bureau in Thailand to prolong your stay for

another 30 days. Then you have to leave the country and return to Thailand

again and get 60 days.

Best regards.

I guess that makes it pretty clear, wouldn't you think?

Yes they aren't always helpful, email them again, and say exactly you want, this is my understanding

They were very helpful and provided details for application

you cant stay more than 90 days

the max tourist visa is 60 days

a 60 day visa may be extended for a further 30 days, then you must leave the country

once outside the country you can apply for another tourist visa

this is where it gets hazy, not all Thai embassy's will grant 60 day tourist visa's, therefor you must go the the right country, Laos is a no, Penang in Malaysia - maybe not, KL and Singapore are better bets

There has been no problem using any Laos Consulate or Penang for tourist visa issue.

Regarding your tickets - get 6 month open returns - that will be fine.

A single entry visa expires if you leave thailand, so it can only be used once

A 60 day double entry or multiple entry (if they have them) allows you to leave and re-enter Thailand without needing a new visa, a 60 day double entry visa is not 2 60 visa's back to back (120 days) its a visa that last for 60 days and doesn't not expire when you leave Thailand.

False. A two entry tourist visa is two single entry visas that can be used in a six month period. All visa entries expire on exit of Thailand without a re-entry permit.

IMO the best you can hope for is a single or double entry 60 day visa, extend for 90 days (pay another fee)

There is no provision to extend a tourist visa for 90 days. A tourist visa can be extended 30 days.

then fly down to Singapore, go to the Thai embassy and ask for another 60 day tourist visa, no guarentee you will get it, but you should if you can show your ticket home, enough money and place to stay

I'm sure Laos only grant 30 day tourist visa's not 60 days

re

IMO the best you can hope for is a single or double entry 60 day visa, extend for 90 days (pay another fee)

There is no provision to extend a tourist visa for 90 days. A tourist visa can be extended 30 days.

sorry my typeo

should be

MO the best you can hope for is a single or double entry 60 day visa, extend for another 30 days (pay another fee)

False. A two entry tourist visa is two single entry visas that can be used in a six month period. All visa entries expire on exit of Thailand without a re-entry permit.

I wasn't aware of that - are you saying a double entry tourist visa = 2 X 60 day visa's and both are valid for 6 months, if so and the 60 day can be extended for another 30 days, that will solve the OP's problem - now if the consulate had been really helpful, they would have explained that, and the OP would not be here :o

It does not matter where a tourist visa is issued - if it is issued to Thailand for a nationality allowed a 60 day stay you normally receive a 60 day stay. Any difference would be at discretion of Immigration - not a Consulate.

A two or more entry tourist visa is normally valid for six months - that means you can enter during a six month period - the visa itself (each) allows the normal 60 + 30. Used back to back they could cover almost six months with one exit/return required.

What a nonsense - if I was the OP I would have told the whole lot of them to bog off and go on holiday somewhere else!

Is Thailand like some sort of trendy US nightclub where they perceive that the number of bouncers on the door will equate to the willingness of punters to get in?

What a nonsense - if I was the OP I would have told the whole lot of them to bog off and go on holiday somewhere else!

Is Thailand like some sort of trendy US nightclub where they perceive that the number of bouncers on the door will equate to the willingness of punters to get in?

You didn't even read the OP's posts. That's all I have to say.

You didn't even read the OP's posts. That's all I have to say.

I am am glad thats all you had to say, as I did read the OP's posts and commented accordingly...