Pattaya: City reveals plans for Walking Street - major "mall" style makeover for Thailand's "world class resort"

webfact

21 minutes ago, geisha said:

No one can deny that Pattaya is a dirty ugly traffic over-run  city. All it needs is redoing the roads, nice wide pavements , good lighting, hide those monstrous wires and a total ban on car parking . Total. No buses, motorbikes nothing. Tree lined avenues. A police presence for ambulances  and emergency.
 This would  be cheap to carry out , would change the sleazy  look immediately without changing the businesses run there. Whole cities like this have been changed all over the world. Simple, and looks nice.

"Whole cities like this have been changed all over the world." So why fly to somewhere that is the same as everywhere else? Spain is cheaper and closer.

After my first trip to Thailand, in 2000, I talked about and showed my mates pictures of, the Spaghetti wires, dodgey pavements and other such differences to what is normal in the UK. Shopping did not get a mention. What you describe, as your ideal, to me sounds utterly bland - not somewhere I would travel half way around the world to see.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Should make a proper tourist attraction just like Amsterdam with the windows 

So you can go visit the girl in her room for only 15 minutese for 2000baht ??? No more barfine and longtime ??? All the windows empty because they are out for longtime ??? No more go go's ??? I think your missing the whole point of pattaya , i geuss you better visit Amsterdam in stead of pattaya if you want something like that . Thousands of people walking around making pictures of the girls like it's a frickin zoo . Amsterdam is also not what it was anymore in the good old days . Don't try to change something that works quit well for decades already , maybe just give it a small facelift so it's presentable in daytime as well and there's something to do in the daytime as well as in the nighttime that's all it needs . 

Edited by Nanaplaza666
Wasnt done yet

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

You got it, just like what happened to NYC's Times Square. 

Compare the way it is now to an old Kojak episode, or "Taxi Driver."  Now it's practically an open source piece of Disneyland.

And the lower East side after gentrification. Glad I saw Tompkins square before.

He stressed that any makeover must ensure that the "special smell and flavor" of Walking Street must be maintained.

If you could find the formula for that special smell why you'd be rich beyond your dreams. Bottle it and sell it worldwide

16 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

They should just leave Pattaya alone and build their upmarket family resort down the coast a bit. People forget what made Pattaya in the first place now all they do is slag it down.I f you don’t like it don’t go and certainly don’t winge about living there. You know what is was like when you moved there

They're already building their 'upmarket family resort'--but up the coast a bit in the north Pattaya, Naklua, and Wong Amat areas.  

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

So a lot of you think that Pattaya , as it is today , can only exist and thrive because of the sex trade ?? Think again. 

The Chinese came to look at the sleaze in tour groups, the Indians came to find cheap sex, the Arabs came to find cheap sex, the westerners came because they know they can get cheap sex, the Russians came to get drunk on the beach, backpackers never came because it was sleazy. That leaves the Thai's who come for a day trip to the beach from BKK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why the need to do anything...the place is packed already. There are already enough shopping malls that probably don’t generate as much revenue as Walking Street...

How about convert the malls into nightlife areas instead if they want more revenue. 

Why can’t they just accept that Pattaya is NOT a world class FAMILY resort, and give up trying to make it one when it’s not necessary...there are plenty of other places in Thailand for families, but only one Pattaya. Many non “family tourists and expats” need the opposite of anywhere that is dominated by families.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Bugis street

My thought also. A lot of people seem to want it to be something like Singapore - which I found a little bland last time I was there all be it some years ago.

What they don't seem to grasp, or ignore, is if that happens prices will have an ever increasing trajectory and Pattaya will lose its soul - or gain a completely different one......

That would be a sad day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is some of the most valuable real estate in the country that is not utilized properly.

I really really like the idea.

Get the bulldozers running tomorrow.

But, should happen around the same time the monorail is completed.

Got it. Never.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

He stressed that any makeover must ensure that the "special smell and flavor" of Walking Street must be maintained.

If you could find the formula for that special smell why you'd be rich beyond your dreams. Bottle it and sell it worldwide

A combination of dirty unshowered farang and strawberry-flavoured condoms

• Haha 1

So, sterlise it, & what is left ?

Dirty beach, filthy water & 10,000 Thais ready to fleece you.

Some things just need to be left alone.
Pat Phong in Silom is finished as a nightclub area but hundreds of thousands of people

go there just to say they have been.