Very clever and ambitious with a recession

brewing up in the West.

Also mentioned is that requirement for

entry will be far more stringent, possibly

enough  for travellers to not bother with

it and go elsewhere.

I can add to that..Me Too.

26 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Do we know if anyone other than the returnees with fevers are being tested these days? 

PUI criteria is pretty lenient these days, you can just walk into a hospital with basic symptoms and they are supposed to do at least some screening, not quote sure what prompts actual PCR testing. It'll be in these docs:

Current PUI criteria: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/g_srrt/g_srrt_010563.pdf

Current investigation guideline: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/g_srrt/g_srrt_150563.pdf

And some new info about testing target groups, etc: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/g_srrt.php

They haven't bothered to update the English versions: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/guidelines.php

It looks far better than it did before. However, the information fed to the public is still minimal. MoPH hast vastly better data.

Here's a very interesting screenshot from their internal system:

image.png.b8e95b50a71d77965e3e38d38410b851.png

As you can see, statuses are "Admitted" with an additional flag "Confirmed publish". Not all admitted have been published confirmations, there are several lines that have the Confirmed in orange and admitted, but no publication. The column is even named "News". That'd be the daily threads here in TVF.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Interesting reading. 

But somebody needs to tell Reuters that much of the content of the post just isn't happening. 

Regardless of the 16 million people who qualify for the money, 3x 5,000 baht hand outs, hardly anyone has received even one payment. 

Stressing the thai people even further than normal.

Many people have relied heavily on the family units, or borrowed money from the loan sharks...

Can understand why the suicide rates are up.

Especially when you call to Samaritans and have to leave your name and number in the hope that someone will call you back..

A couple of good stories here that Reuters could get there teeth into. ????

leave name and number when you call the Samaritans? Surely that cannot be true? 

1 hour ago, Diddl said:

Yes, thanks for that - I was just looking at the Human Rights website.

i could only see Thai language stuff,, give me the gist of what happened please.

1 hour ago, Diddl said:

Sorry you can't get back to your family.  The whole thing is a disgrace.  I get the impression that Thailand is racist and is only interested in money.  I will be moving on as soon as I can - no family here so easier for me.

Sorry but your post did make me smile.. Have you only just realised those things? Try the Philippines, or Vietnam. A friend of mine who was a Thailand retiree is now in Cambodia and seems to like it very much,, well he doesn't moan incessantly about the country he is in anymore, quite the contrary. I left last year, i couldn't take it anymore and I didn't want my son growing up surrounded by racism and overall "farang" hatred. Good luck

5 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Sorry but your post did make me smile.. Have you only just realised those things? Try the Philippines, or Vietnam. A friend of mine who was a Thailand retiree is now in Cambodia and seems to like it very much,, well he doesn't moan incessantly about the country he is in anymore, quite the contrary. I left last year, i couldn't take it anymore and I didn't want my son growing up surrounded by racism and overall "farang" hatred. Good luck

Lol @ retiring in Cambodia. 

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I was there in February when this was still starting, even with some people around it looked depressed. Just a concrete ghetto in what is supposed to be a beach resort.

Felt bad with memories from a more relaxed place from 13y ago replaced by these. Same story all over, overbuilding and mass tourism from China destroyed all the charm. RIP.

I moved there about 15 years ago. It was like a paradise. Over the years it became very over developed and the improvements they made were minimal. It started feeling like that old dishrag in the kitchen of a diner that had not been replaced for a long time. Rung out. Dirty. Abused. One of the major issues and obstacles Samui has faced for a long time is a great lack of local pride. It shows big time. Hard to hide it. 

Way over built. Now, the developers and speculators who always professed that real estate curves only go up are going to have to contend with a major reckoning. This applies to all of Thailand. I see countless buildings under construction in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Bangkok and Samui. I had been predicting a major reset and high vacancy long before Covid came along. Now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The crisis has been handled well overall by the Thai authorities and has put the US and UK to shame. 

International borders of Thailand are currently closed, with repatriation flights only for Thai nationals and taxpayers, with a quota of 500 per day and prior permission required to be able to enter. 

I fail to see how that constitutes a "disgrace", especially given that we are seeing many returnees arriving with symptoms.

"The crisis has been handled well overall by the Thai authorities and has put the US and UK to shame."????

Blimey you have been well and truly "assimilated" by the Thai authorities / people. So when Thailand was continually letting in Chinese when the virus was born was that good management.. I have heard people say this before, people seem to think that it's due to wonderful Thai management, it is simply a case of more luck then judgement. The virus does not spread easily in very hot humid climates which is why the countries in the Northern hemisphere are struggling and tropical climates are not. It's very well documented, google it and read it if you would really like to understand, or perhaps that wouldn't suit you to know the truth (like most Thai people)... up to you,,,, if you are in Thailand or any of the tropical countries just be thankful..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Lol @ retiring in Cambodia. 

Good luck with that.

And why not? What is so terrible about Cambodia that is not the same in Thailand? I genuinely don't know, My friend Martin is very happy, maybe I can put you in touch with him and he can explain to you how the retirees there are making it work. It is growing rapidly in popularity you know,,,,

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I moved there about 15 years ago. It was like a paradise. Over the years it became very over developed and the improvements they made were minimal. It started feeling like that old dishrag in the kitchen of a diner that had not been replaced for a long time. Rung out. Dirty. Abused. One of the major issues and obstacles Samui has faced for a long time is a great lack of local pride. It shows big time. Hard to hide it. 

Way over built. Now, the developers and speculators who always professed that real estate curves only go up are going to have to contend with a major reckoning. This applies to all of Thailand. I see countless buildings under construction in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Bangkok and Samui. I had been predicting a major reset and high vacancy long before Covid came along. Now? 

I have thought this for a long time now. Thailand used to be and could have remained a true paradise keeping itself as a high end destination like Mauritius or the Maldives,, instead it went for mass tourism sacrificing a lot of it's charm and beauty in a lot of places.. There are some beautiful places left in Thailand but the bulk of tourists are greeted with pictures like the one posted.. Shame really,,

• Sad 1

Promote tourism. Wishful thinking Thailand.

I have spoken to six people recently who hail from overseas. They used to like the fly in 5 days and 5 nights package deals, but the reality is this they recon.

Fly into Thailand, spend 14 days in quarantine at your own expense, then have your 5 days and 5 nights holiday.

Then fly back to your country and have another 14 day quarantine at your home.

All in all, your 6 or seven day holiday turns into something like a 35 day very expensive holiday to do nothing of importance, because everything is closed down or is shuttered up.

Tourists from outside will take a very long time to even consider Thailand as a holiday destination for the foreseeable future, until the old norms are restored.

2 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Promote tourism. Wishful thinking Thailand.

I have spoken to six people recently who hail from overseas. They used to like the fly in 5 days and 5 nights package deals, but the reality is this they recon.

Fly into Thailand, spend 14 days in quarantine at your own expense, then have your 5 days and 5 nights holiday.

Then fly back to your country and have another 14 day quarantine at your home.

All in all, your 6 or seven day holiday turns into something like a 35 day very expensive holiday to do nothing of importance, because everything is closed down or is shuttered up.

Tourists from outside will take a very long time to even consider Thailand as a holiday destination for the foreseeable future, until the old norms are restored.

the old norms will never return, i think we all know that now,, right?

• Confused 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand teamed up with leading Expat website, Thaivisa, to help connect with this important market.  Thaivisa connects with thousands of expats in Thailand everyday - along with international visitors too. It's website exceeded 8-million page views in March and consistently attracts over 2.4million unique visitors to its website every month.

Well it seems Thai visa and TAT use the same calculator

all the regulars members here know that any survey (Including

the famous POTY) hardly reach 200 participants, most of them

aged or very ageed with small incomes and health issues

not really the ideal clientele for luxury trips, even with 20% discount

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally different. Nothing about it is the same. Covid is gone from Thailand. The incubation periods have passed, and most have recovered. So, no need for any protection, whatsoever now.

It is the incoming international travelers who are absolutely radioactive. Much care needs to be taken, as this virus is still raging around the world. So, how will they re-introduce international tourism here? That is the big question. Chaweng Beach on Samui right now. Looks like post war Serbia.

31939.jpg

31937.jpg

31932.jpg

31931.jpg

Bit off topic but seeing those pics...whatever happened to Katcandu bar down Green Mango, owned by a Canuk, also had one up near BBC

12 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

how is domestic travel different from international about spreading or not the fake pandemic & the 14 day quarantine need ???

Are we discussing the fake pandemic that’s killed 383,000 people so far.?Domestic travel doesn’t need 14 day quarantine now maybe because you’re already here so the risk of bringing it in from another country is eliminated.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Totally different. Nothing about it is the same. Covid is gone from Thailand. The incubation periods have passed, and most have recovered. So, no need for any protection, whatsoever now.

It is the incoming international travelers who are absolutely radioactive. Much care needs to be taken, as this virus is still raging around the world. So, how will they re-introduce international tourism here? That is the big question. Chaweng Beach on Samui right now. Looks like post war Serbia.

31939.jpg

31937.jpg

31932.jpg

31931.jpg

I've been both a repeat & long stay tourist to Thailand, but of course with this Covid nonsense i am relegated to "potential" tourist, stuck in my own country.

The points you made are a quite fair, but here are a few to add from my perspective:

1. The memories of many years wondering/worrying about whatever new silly visa crackdown/changes/conditions will come next.

And that's beside the threat of being detained at he airport with

"you come Thailand to much" every time one comes and goes.

2. I have a very hard time believing some of the infection rates, and number of deaths are LESS than Australia.

Enough said, but i suppose, in typical Tourism of Thailand fashion,

this means i should be lining up and begging to come to Thailand.

everyones "dream destination"

lol...to funny.

3. I am prepared to pay extra for flights, even extra surcharges for testing and disease management...

But people talking Covid doctors letters, US$100k insurance..

all completely pointless in my case.

No way, its just to much monkey business.

4. Consider the points above, then consider the complete arrogance of the army government who continually and openly shเte on tourists and "farangs" who seem to get the blame for just about everything bar the soi dog having pups..

The thing now is this:

People have been away from Thailand long enough to wake up to the truth and see what's really been going on.

Folks eyes will be even more opened to all the nonsense we have had to put up with in the past.

Also, id say a few will be thinking that our own countries are not such bad places to be after all.

At least they are actually helping us throughout this, not just treating us with contempt, like a sub-human guavas..to be milked.

Yet they think people are gonna come flocking. lol

Nup-not this time.

Tell em they are DREAMIN.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 2

Insanity. Thai people have not much for food now. Tourist industry is crash. Future of tourism will depend on Chinese people. We will see if it will work same way.

Instead to be more generous with tourist visa and offer 3 months -6 months visa to Europeans in order to stabilise economy.

Government chose different way. More control, tight visa even more farther for European nations and invite and Chinese and south Koreans.

Very good way to lift up tourism industry. Very good way to create more jobs.

Pity for simple people!

4 hours ago, pookondee said:

I've been both a repeat & long stay tourist to Thailand, but of course with this Covid nonsense i am relegated to "potential" tourist, stuck in my own country.

The points you made are a quite fair, but here are a few to add from my perspective:

1. The memories of many years wondering/worrying about whatever new silly visa crackdown/changes/conditions will come next.

2. I have a very hard time believing some of the infection rates, and number of deaths are LESS than Australia.

lol...to funny.

3. I am prepared to pay extra for flights, even extra surcharges for testing and disease management...

4. Consider the points above, then consider the complete arrogance of the army government who continually and openly shเte on tourists and "farangs" who seem to get the blame for just about everything bar the soi dog having pups..

The thing now is this:

People have been away from Thailand long enough to wake up to the truth and see what's really been going on.

Folks eyes will be even more opened to all the nonsense we have had to put up with in the past.

Also, id say a few will be thinking that our own countries are not such bad places to be after all.

At least they are actually helping us throughout this, not just treating us with contempt, like a sub-human guavas..to be milked.

Nup-not this time.

All good points, and all true. Tourism is going to take a very long time to return to Thailand in any significant numbers, and it is likely it will NEVER return to its former levels. Which is a great things for us ex-pats, but a tragic thing for millions of Thais.

One would hope that some of the astonishing degree of hubris, arrogance, xenophobia and recklessness, displayed by the administration, immigration and the TAT, in the past, might be tempered by all of this, and in turn create some humility and perspective. One can dream. 

Back in the day, the Western tourists brought real money into the country, and in exchange, were treated with utter and complete disregard, scammed, disrespected, and abused. Eventually, most said no more. Thailand thought the country was something very special, and that nobody would ever say no, or find alternative places to visit. The fact is that there are countless other spots, many in this region, that offer better service, more expertise in food and beverage (especially wine service and selection at fair prices, which rich tourists demand), reasonable import duties to sustain a luxury goods market, better training, and far better english skills. Thailand simply lost sight of the big picture, and had very little vision, with regard to big spending tourists, who need to be catered to, instead of scorned. Many of those tourists wrote off Thailand long ago. And now, the very group that Thailand targets, are the ones hardest hit by Covid. 

You make your bed, and then you have to lie in it. You pay little regard to people, who are supporting your nation, and eventually you pay the price for your foolishness, and fake national pride. 

12 hours ago, Silent Number said:

Are we discussing the fake pandemic that’s killed 383,000 people so far.?Domestic travel doesn’t need 14 day quarantine now maybe because you’re already here so the risk of bringing it in from another country is eliminated.

Totally true. There are still many restriction in place, that are inane, unnecessary, draconian, and stifling the economy. Lift all restrictions now. Allow all businesses to re-open. Get a grip. Understand that Covid is gone. Let it go. Allow the people to get back to work, or pay them a reasonable amount in assistance. Doing neither is sadistic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trolleen said:

Insanity. Thai people have not much for food now. Tourist industry is crash. Future of tourism will depend on Chinese people. We will see if it will work same way.

Instead to be more generous with tourist visa and offer 3 months -6 months visa to Europeans in order to stabilise economy.

Government chose different way. More control, tight visa even more farther for European nations and invite and Chinese and south Koreans.

Very good way to lift up tourism industry. Very good way to create more jobs.

Pity for simple people!

Can you tell me in what way its easier for a Chinese person to get either a tourist or long stay visa to Thailand than a European?

22 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

If that could improve a little our coat of arms in the eyes of certain members of the government why not? ????
 I am talking about those of us with roots here for years while we maintain families have bought one or more cars, and scooters and housing and all the furniture that goes with it ... And we are not better considered by officials and by immigration than the backpackers who hung around for three weeks without a penny ????

I do not think so. Many, many ex-pats here have a good means to support their Thai families, and in some cases their extended families. We bring alot to the table. We build houses, creates businesses, buy new vehicles, and contribute to the economy in many ways. Most are good guys, who are respectful, law abiding (unless the laws are completely inane) and treat the local people with respect and kindness. Some of us spend 100,000 a month or more here, which is five times the average Thai family. Yet, we continue to be treated by utter disregard by the xenophobic and fearful army and immigration. As long as the army is in control, with their false, and utterly fake national pride, honor, and purity agenda, why would that change? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Can you tell me in what way its easier for a Chinese person to get either a tourist or long stay visa to Thailand than a European?

OK. I'll give you a clue. Europeans are visa exempt. Little stamp in your passport and on your way.

Chinese, visa on arrival. Apply at the desk and 2000 baht please.

• Like 1

Not this way. Government put a lot of hope in Chinese. Even the Corona virus arrived from China as many viruses did. Government blame European people as a dirty. 

It is really no matter if you have free visa on arrival or pay 2000 baht. The real matter to understand and respect European tourism and not put people to prison and send them go back to their countries because the stay in Thailand to long. 

Matter is if they have a money to stay and contribute to thai toursim in this way.

If the government allows people buy apartment rent the land and build a houses then they must be more general to those people and do not care if the stay here on tourist visa and how long.

That the point

When I apply for tourist visa in vietnam , I went to the embassy in my country. Brings two photos with me. Get answer no photos needed. Just pay  a money and pick up your visa in 6 days.

When I went to thai embassy to get multi tourist visa. Many papers from the bank from the job ........ name it. Answer come back in 7 days and we will decide if you will get a visa.

Do you catch a point?

People around a Thailand getting worry. What will happen to my property tomorrow, my car...... if my visa will get refuse. Who wants to build a house ,buy apartment ,buy a car And be block out of country ? Who want to contribute?

13 hours ago, pookondee said:

lol...to funny.

The thing now is this:

Nup-not this time.

Don't hold it inside, let it out...tell us what you really think!