Do You Need a Haircut in Bangkok???

maisodni

Hi Gents (and maybe, Ladies) -

Have Covid-19 lock-down policies caused you to become a "shaggy soul" in need of a  haircut?   Well, I have a recommendation, for a barbershop on Sukhumvit Soi 22.

First, the story:

From getting here in 2000, until about 2005, I always used to use the same lady barber, in the same barber shop, on Sukhumvit Soi 3/1.  During that period, that area was just starting to become "Little Arabia."  Suddenly, my barber disappeared - although the shop remained open.  I had really gotten accustomed to getting the same cut, from the same lady barber.  So - seeing my frustration - one of the barbers that was still there told me that my favorite barber had relocated to Sukhumvit Soi 22 - to a barbershop near the backside of the girly bar complex on Soi 22.

So - I went down to Soi 22 - snooping around the edges of what turned out to be called Queens Park Plaza.  I finally found that barber shop - which was also a lady's hair salon - and it had my same barber working there.  So - anyway - I starting going there, and I remained a loyal customer for another six or seven years.   Around 2012, my barber - who I had now used for almost ten years  - told me that she was getting out of that business, to work for her older sister at a ladies garment shop down in Pratunam.  But - she introduced me to another barber at the Queen's Park barber shop, and she "taught" the other lady how I liked to have may hair look.   It went well, and I liked how the new lady kept everything the same.

But - after only about two months - my "new" barber told me that the shop had lost its lease, and would be closing - but that she was going to open a new shop, not too far away - right across the street (Soi 22) from Queen's Park Plaza. And - that is what she did.  So - I kept going there.

And that is the shop that I now want to recommend - because they were shut down for about ten weeks by Covid-19, and now that they have reopened - Queen's Park Plaza plaza has been completely closed down - and their business is REALLY hurting, to the point that she can barely pay rent.   So - unless business picks up - she will have to close the shop.     She is from somewhere near Chanthaburi (down southeast of Rayong), and she said that she would just give up, and leave Bangkok.

I don't want that to happen.  She is a GREAT barber - and her staff are also good.    The shop takes care of both men and women, so you can bring your wife, girlfriend, sister, or daughter along.

The "Fresh Barber - Salon" is easy to find on Sukhumvit Soi 22.  Google Maps says that the distance from Sukhumvit Road to Fresh Barber - Salon is about 215 meters.  With your back to Sukhumvit Road, "Fresh" is on your left.  The first attached photo is taken from the front entrance to the barbershop, looking at what used to be Queens Park Plaza - that is a "for sale" sign for the property.  The second photo is taken FROM that "for sale" sign, showing the "Fresh Barber - Salon" right on the corner with a small alley that is the first road that intersects with Soi 22, if you travel south from Sukhumvit.    My favorite barber's name is "Tum" (pronounced "toom") - her LINE ID is  '  Tum2  '.

If you need a haircut, please help her out, and give her some work!

(Disclaimer:  I have no financial interest in this barber shop)

Thanks!

Maisodni

Steve

The Bangkok Beer Guru

https://bangkokbeerguru.com/19-music-video-selections-for-2019/ (this website is non-commercial - it makes no money, and sells nothing)

QPFS.jpg

FBSFP.jpg

Edited by maisodni
  • Haha 1

I have had a 'Number 3 cut' for around 40 years now, never go near a barber.  I do it at home using professional cutters and Mrs P does the tricky bits at the back.  Must have saved a fortune over the years. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Must have saved a fortune over the years. 

Have watched my barber barbershop price go from 60 to 80 to 100 and is up to 120 baht so with a cut about every 5 weeks not sure worth doing myself even at the current price.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:01 PM, frequentatore said:

Highly recommended. 300 baht from Tesco, comes with comb and scissor too. Works like a charm, though you need someone to tidy things up in the back, unless you're nimble. In covid time, when one door closes, another opens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, Queen's Park Plaza is gone. I missed it in the news. I was last there last December, and they said it'd be going. Much of the staff has moved to Soi 7. Ah, the memories. Rumours, Chaos, and Superior. But I don't miss their toilets in the back, those were nasty.

But yeah, I went to the Fresh Barber a few times, and it was quite good. Friendly staff with good English, good conversation, and good air con. Best of luck to them, with the changing face of that Soi.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Fresh Barber & Salon will be going out of business at the end of June.  It will give its last hair-care services on Sunday, 28 June, and will spend Monday and Tuesday (29 and 30 June) cleaning out equipment and supplies.   The owner, Khun Karlob Saisot, will be "retiring" and leaving Bangkok for good.

Now, after 18 years of using the same barber - actually two different women, in three different locations - but the "same" team - I will have to find a new barber, starting next month.