Recommended VPN

Alphim

On 6/7/2020 at 3:47 PM, norfolkandchance said:

NordVPN for me. Coverers SA.

I also use NorVPN and have been very happy with them. I've had 2 issues where the website was able to determine that I was not in the USA. I contacted the services techs and we sorted it out by changing the protocol. They also have new protocol call NordLynk, which is faster, but I think only for Win10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I also use NorVPN and have been very happy with them. I've had 2 issues where the website was able to determine that I was not in the USA. I contacted the services techs and we sorted it out by changing the protocol. They also have new protocol call NordLynk, which is faster, but I think only for Win10.

I got the 3 year deal $125. They now doing a 2 year deal for $83?

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, Susco said:

Unless it is a free to air channel a vpn will not enable to watch it.

A VPN isn't something magic that bypasses a subscription.

I don't think there are many VPN services that have a SA server either

Zenmate, which I use, has a server in South Africa.

21 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Are you using the ExpressVPN router app or the asus vpn client setup?

I simply installed it on all my devices for the first few years I had it. After I moved to the Kingdom, and found that the ROku box I'd purchased in USA for use in Thailand was so useless, I invested in an Asus modem from the flagship store on Lazada and installed the VPN image for it.

Roku barred nearly all the content from USA because it knew I was in Thailand because I was using the TOT router. Once I installed the image on the router, the Roku box was able to access much more content. Unfortunately I quickly got frustrated with ads every 10 minutes and B or C grade movies, or movies made during the Jurrasic period.

Now the router is plugged into the CAT router in my new home and all my phone, laptop, etc. traffic goes through it. I originally bought the VPN because used it for PTP file sharing, and still do. Now I download all my movies and TV series as torrents and connect them to my TV with a small hard drive. I've got more quality content than I can watch in the next year.

I'm well pleased with the router and with the VPN service. I've had it for about 7 years now and think the $110/yr I pay is well worth the price. I raved about it so many times on these forums that I've been accused of getting paid for it. The only drawbck from using the router approach is that you can't choose different host countries for each device like you can if using the app for each device.

So now I keep my comments to a minimum. For the record I also highly endorse all Anker products for phone charging, bluetooth speakers, power banks, etc. Also had all of these for several years as well. Cheap chargers kill people or burn down houses.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, Susco said:

Unless it is a free to air channel a vpn will not enable to watch it.

A VPN isn't something magic that bypasses a subscription.

I don't think there are many VPN services that have a SA server either

Disagree. Depends how good the VPN is and how you set it up.

I swear by Proton, whose paid version has servers in RSA as well as dozens of other countries. Swiss and unbreakable.

14 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

Disagree. Depends how good the VPN is and how you set it up.

I swear by Proton, whose paid version has servers in RSA as well as dozens of other countries. Swiss and unbreakable.

A VPN will never be able to bypass a subscription, because for that you need login details to the service.

How would a VPN bypass a username and password issued by the paid service?

I agree that SA servers are available in many vpn services these days

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

I raved about it so many times on these forums that I've been accused of getting paid for it. The only drawbck from using the router approach is that you can't choose different host countries for each device like you can if using the app for each device.

If I understand you correctly about being limited to one (1) vpn server connection on the ExpressVPN app, you can connect 5 OpenVPN servers simultaneously on the Asus OpenVPN Client. That way you could have 5 different countries/locations all connected and running. And, you can use "policy routing" as well so you set your devices to connect to the vpn or the WAN (ISP) so all your LAN devices bypass vpn.

Scrap the expressVPN app, its too restrictive and I find much better performance w/o it. Setup your OpenVPN on the Asus VPN Client, you will prefer this method I am certain.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:54 PM, Pilotman said:

my Express VPN renewal in March was $38 for the year. 

ExpressVPN currently costs $US100.00 per year based on their cheapest monthly plan of $8.32

Waste of a 100 bucks. Many others just as good for a fraction of that price...or free. 

Can confirm ExpressVPN IP addresses are blacklisted on some TV networks. 

Edited by Nemises

9 minutes ago, Nemises said:

ExpressVPN currently costs $US100.00 per year based on their cheapest monthly plan of $8.32

Waste of a 100 bucks. Many others just as good for a fraction of that price...or free. 

what can you recommend that costs a fraction of the price?

Edited by i84teen

1 hour ago, Nemises said:

at the risk of boring everyone, I say again, I paid $38 in March this year. Obviously they have some deals on the go and I got one of them. 

7 minutes ago, i84teen said:

$38 for what, 3 months of ExpressVPN?

As in this one: https://www.expressvpn.la/order

I gotta see the proof of that price, or I call <deleted>, u r telling one big BS story.

"Obviously they have some deals on the go and I got one of them."--show me this deal. please share with all of us if it's so true.

I'm not answerable to you or anyone else.  Just trying to be informative, but you and anyone else can please yourself what you do, or believe. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, i84teen said:

Are you using the ExpressVPN router app or the asus vpn client setup?

I purchased a Linksys WRT AC3200 earlier this year for £140 and loaded the ExpressVPN router app.  

As RocketDog mentioned the only shortcoming is you can't select alternate servers for each device, but you can elect what devices are VPN tunnelled.  I've worked from home since mid-March so my dedicated work PC isn't tunnelled as I require top speed and I'm working in my employer's UD environment, so VPN is pointless.  

A lot of sellers are preloading the ExpressVPN router app for a significant increase to the cost of the Linksys router.  Don't be fooled as it's very easy to load the app.  The updates are very easy to install as well.  

I'm quite certain ExpressVPN will add more configurations in due course but, overall, I'm pleased with the results of the purchase and I found the router's performance got better after a few weeks of bedding down.  

8 hours ago, torturedsole said:

A lot of sellers are preloading the ExpressVPN router app for a significant increase to the cost of the Linksys router.  Don't be fooled as it's very easy to load the app.  The updates are very easy to install as well.  

Oh yeah ok, who sells these routers flashed with ExpressVPN app? Are you referring to "flashrouters", or are there others selling these pre-flashed routers? I cannot find these sellers?

Edited by i84teen

9 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I'm quite certain ExpressVPN will add more configurations in due course but, overall, I'm pleased with the results of the purchase and I found the router's performance got better after a few weeks of bedding down.  

I would like to try the Linksys WRT AC3200, it comes highly rated. How well does it manage OpenVPN cipher/encryption? How are the speeds using OpenVPN?

23 hours ago, i84teen said:

If I understand you correctly about being limited to one (1) vpn server connection on the ExpressVPN app, you can connect 5 OpenVPN servers simultaneously on the Asus OpenVPN Client. That way you could have 5 different countries/locations all connected and running. And, you can use "policy routing" as well so you set your devices to connect to the vpn or the WAN (ISP) so all your LAN devices bypass vpn.

Scrap the expressVPN app, its too restrictive and I find much better performance w/o it. Setup your OpenVPN on the Asus VPN Client, you will prefer this method I am certain.

I'm not aware of that Asus router option or how it works. Maybe I'll  study up on it. Thanks for the tip.

It's not clear to me what the advantage would be. Also, my meager understanding is that wherever you finally connect to the web some server farm handles it thus the people operating that can possibly access your data. ExpressVPN does not lease servers, but owns and staffs their own in each country. I like their business model. 

Also, I like the rotating IP address that ExpressVPN provides. That means the same IP address is rotated seamlessly to a number of users every hour making it impossible for ExpressVPN itself to trace an ip to a unique user. 

I am in tune with @luckyluke about how good the free Hola vpn is...  so far the 'only' glitch was when I tried to add it to Firefox; but Hola requires at least ver60.*** of Firefox - and my elder Windows only allows upgrades upto ver57 

back to enjoying on Chrome... 

On 6/8/2020 at 6:54 PM, Pilotman said:

my Express VPN renewal in March was $38 for the year. 

have it for the past 8 years and never had such a renewal price, usually $99 usd for 15 months, $38 for the year at express vpn, please send the link, my renewal is July 21st

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

have it for the past 8 years and never had such a renewal price, usually $99 usd for 15 months, $38 for the year at express vpn, please send the link, my renewal is July 21st

I can't do that as it contains my personal information.  I assure you that was the price.  They sent 3 renewal notifications, which I ignored and as i didn't respond the price dropped each time. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I can't do that as it contains my personal information.  I assure you that was the price.  They sent 3 renewal notifications, which I ignored and as i didn't respond the price dropped each time. 

I clicked their link for my renewal, it keeps blinking all the time, usually 45 days prior to renewal, thus decided to give it another try and had a chat with support, they know I had been with them for 8  years and  I ask why is it that my renewal is more expensive than the quote for a new subscription, no answer, was left on the chat for almost 5 minutes without anything, finally they come back and said, spoke with manager and can not do. I explain to them that I will be doing the same as I have been doing with prior renewals, will let it expire and next day will apply for new service, they (stupidity must run high over there) said, sure, good idea better do it like that... great marketing wohowww, I keep their service because it works fine all over never had any issues and when I visit China is one of the ones working there, thus put up with their poor marketing. I did told them some BS about somebody that I knew having a year renewal for 38 usd, they said, not possible, 38 usd maybe for 3 -4 month, I kept insisting it was 1 year and the supervisor come on line and told they never had such price for a year subscription, you are a lucky one, happy for you

• Like 1