Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Oxford education probably ????  They only take the smartest and brightest you know .......

Or maybe Cambridge ....

I just noticed a spelling mistake in the quote you posted from me. I usually spell check before posting, must have been excited!

She was very educated, but way too fat.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'll take a little exception about that.

Remember your history. The British outlawed the transportation of slaves, long before they outlawed the owning of slaves in their West Indian colonies.

In the US following the civil war, during Reconstruction, there was a truly liberal decade. 

The failure in the US was that after Reconstruction the Federal Government allowed Southern States to start implementing laws that circumvented the 14 & 15 amendments to the constitution which were introduced during Reconstruction. In many ways the civil rights movement in the 60's was the 2nd era of Reconstruction.

As I said in a previous post. The British were the largest transporters of African slaves to the Americas. And while their fields didn't have African slaves working in them, thousands upon thousands of British people were perfectly happy to own slaves working in the sugar and cotton plantations of the West Indies and the Americas.

So maybe a little introspection might be worth while here on the tragedy you inflicted

And you didn't have some moral awakening , you essentially nationalized the whole slave business by paying people off!

You didn't suffer the trauma of slavery and it's aftermath because you didn't have slaves, but in todays lexicon, you were human traffickers on steroids!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-colonial-shame-slave-owners-given-huge-payouts-after-abolition-8508358.html

Interesting article.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'll take a little exception about that.

Remember your history. The British outlawed the transportation of slaves, long before they outlawed the owning of slaves in their West Indian colonies.

In the US following the civil war, during Reconstruction, there was a truly liberal decade. 

The failure in the US was that after Reconstruction the Federal Government allowed Southern States to start implementing laws that circumvented the 14 & 15 amendments to the constitution which were introduced during Reconstruction. In many ways the civil rights movement in the 60's was the 2nd era of Reconstruction.

As I said in a previous post. The British were the largest transporters of African slaves to the Americas. And while their fields didn't have African slaves working in them, thousands upon thousands of British people were perfectly happy to own slaves working in the sugar and cotton plantations of the West Indies and the Americas.

So maybe a little introspection might be worth while here on the tragedy you inflicted

And you didn't have some moral awakening , you essentially nationalized the whole slave business by paying people off!

You didn't suffer the trauma of slavery and it's aftermath because you didn't have slaves, but in todays lexicon, you were human traffickers on steroids!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-colonial-shame-slave-owners-given-huge-payouts-after-abolition-8508358.html

So the civil war wasn,t fought over the issue of slavery?and Britain outlawed slavery in 1833 (according to your link) years before the civil war,and Britain outlawed the transporting slaves long before that?well wouldn,t that stop the passage of slaves from Africa to america? Your post makes no sense whatsoever and is contradicted by the independent link.

Edited by kingdong

13 hours ago, kingdong said:

At the time chippendale was making his furniture his workers probably were being treated as badly if not worse than a slave.

Probably? but no historical proof, he may have been a good employer for the time (????)

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Probably. But Butcher Harris RAF? Gmme a break. 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

Marshall of the RAF Sir Arthur Harris was carrying out the Directives of the allied war leaders and he was at all times under the Command of MRAF Portal, his boss.  He could do nothing without that Direction. The fact that, one, he did it when there was no other effective way to get at the Nazis, two, he was the only Commander to lose 50% of his force due to the dangers they faced, three, he was damn good at it makes him a hero of WW2.  He made mistakes, what commander does not, Dresden being one, but we forget that he was ordered to place Dresden on the approved target list, the raid was ordered to help the Russians and the US went along with the raids. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack100 said:

I thought most of the slave trading was  done by Arabs ?  Well they seem to get blamed for most things  so we  might as

well add this to  the list . !

Already pointed out. At least double the numbers. Nobody left to protest today either.

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Marshall of the RAF Sir Arthur Harris was carrying out the Directives of the allied war leaders and he was at all times under the Command of MRAF Portal, his boss.  He could do nothing without that Direction. The fact that, one, he did it when there was no other effective way to get at the Nazis, two, he was the only Commander to lose 50% of his force due to the dangers they faced, three, he was damn good at it makes him a hero of WW2.  He made mistakes, what commander does not, Dresden being one, but we forget that he was ordered to place Dresden on the approved target list, the raid was ordered to help the Russians and the US went along with the raids. 

OK Pilot. I know the history. It was just a sarky comment about the name "Butcher" (vv Bomber).

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

OK Pilot. I know the history. It was just a sarky comment about the name "Butcher" (vv Bomber).

He was a complicated person, arrogant, self opinionated, socially inadequate.  My Dad met him once and said that they, the BC crews,  worshipped him, but he couldn't for the life of him tell you why.  That's leadership in time of war I guess. He was a man for his time, just that time and no other. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jack100 said:

I thought most of the slave trading was  done by Arabs ?  Well they seem to get blamed for most things  so we  might as

White men replaced Arabs after Saddam fell, they are now the default trashcan. Being a white man I preferred it when Saddam was still alive.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Jack100 said:

Well of course the history of slavery goes back for 1000s of years, and the Arabs were well involved particularly after the Muslim wars of conquest. However at the boom time of the slave trade - West Africa to Caribbean and southern US, the Arabs were merely the initial suppliers, who rounded up the  black population and took them in irons to the coast. The British would have done this themselves if they had to, but they had a convenient and cheap local way of getting it done for them. That was only a small part of the whole trade. Not so long after the ending on the slave trade, the British Empire was getting the occupants of Bihar to work for slave wages making Opium, which we then exported to China and addicted 20 Million of them. Then we fought two wars to protect this commercial interest. The great houses around Britain were just as likely to have been built on the profits of drug dealing as on the profits of slavery. There are probably statues to Drug dealers round the country also. Makes you proud to be British what!..........(Not)

Tear them all down.  Scottish ones like Wallace and Bruce also for all I care, we know our history, we don't need statues to remind us. The Statue obsession is dickheads worshiping statues of dickheads, rather frowned on in the Bible "Thou shalt make unto thyself no craven images". 

Scrap brass is great, melt it down and use it. 2 inch o/d brass tubing is hard to find nowadays. 

• Like 2

Interesting, I didn't notice Brazil was a main buyer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

During the Atlantic slave trade era, Brazil imported more African slaves than any other country. Nearly 5 million slaves were brought from Africa to Brazil during the period from 1501 to 1866.

Makes sense now that I think of it though. So, how come Brazil isn't heaving with protest against racism? Or is it? The white people are gone?

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, vogie said:

I lived in Otley near Leeds for some years, we had a statue of Thomas Chippendale mounted there, I often thought what a lousy furnature maker he was, but I was never tempted to topple the statue.

The sad part is that the police are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, they just stand and watch as people break the law. A Labour MP has already condoned the mobs actions, same old Labour.☹️

so you are proud of Englands slave trading legacy

25 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Well of course the history of slavery goes back for 1000s of years, and the Arabs were well involved particularly after the Muslim wars of conquest. However at the boom time of the slave trade - West Africa to Caribbean and southern US, the Arabs were merely the initial suppliers, who rounded up the  black population and took them in irons to the coast. The British would have done this themselves if they had to, but they had a convenient and cheap local way of getting it done for them. That was only a small part of the whole trade. Not so long after the ending on the slave trade, the British Empire was getting the occupants of Bihar to work for slave wages making Opium, which we then exported to China and addicted 20 Million of them. Then we fought two wars to protect this commercial interest. The great houses around Britain were just as likely to have been built on the profits of drug dealing as on the profits of slavery. There are probably statues to Drug dealers round the country also. Makes you proud to be British what!..........(Not)

Tear them all down.  Scottish ones like Wallace and Bruce also for all I care, we know our history, we don't need statues to remind us. The Statue obsession is dickheads worshiping statues of dickheads, rather frowned on in the Bible "Thou shalt make unto thyself no craven images". 

Scrap brass is great, melt it down and use it. 2 inch o/d brass tubing is hard to find nowadays. 

Actually the arabs had there on trade going to the east coast of africa, the local population in west africa supplied slaves to the englis and the US. It is figured that Africa had a population of around 60million people by the time slavery ceased it had a population of around 30 million. Half to the east coast and half to the west coast. Information from a very good history professor many years ago

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Interesting, I didn't notice Brazil was a main buyer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

Makes sense now that I think of it though. So, how come Brazil isn't heaving with protest against racism? Or is it? The white people are gone?

Too busy dying of covid-19 and protesting against Bolsonaro. The white people are still they and are in charge.

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Sounds an awful lot like the 'only following orders' defence. 

• Like 2