Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

He traded in slaves, he does not merit a statue.

And now he hasn’t got one.

That does not answer it my question only states your opinion.Will you also be tearing down all statues by Newton ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Trying to burn the Union Jack at the Cenotaph today ^

Police were absent around it all day, even though it would have been a target. Someone higher up told the police not to protect statues and the photos of spray painting/burning go viral to incite others to either to the same or disgusted by it.

45 minutes ago, Susco said:

Look at the videos from all over the world. The same is going on in every country.

This is not about George Floyd any more it is something that was floating in the air for a few years already, and they have seen a chance now and grabbed it.

Expect this to escalate much further

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Nope, nothing going on here in Laos.  Granted that you're get a severe kicking and thrown into prison if you tried anything.  I sometimes think that people who live in so-called democracies don't realise how lucky they are to have the right of peaceful protest. 

22 minutes ago, Susco said:

Maybe I should have been more specific, and clearly mentioned that this not included communist, third world and military ruled countries, but I guess you knew that and wanted to troll a bit

None of that urban terrorism in Scandinavian countries.

A few peaceful demonstrations, that's all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...in 'normal' times i would agree with you. It's not up to the public to decide what statues stand and what are pulled down. But at the risk of sparking a riot i think the police got it right.

Now, don't get silly and equate pulling down an unremarkable statue of a slave trader with destroying one of the seven wonders of the ancient world or architectural master pieces...yes it's all part of our culture, that's why the mayor was correct to have the statue pulled out of the harbour and will be placed in a museum, as a historical record of what happened

Most people would not condone mass howling rabid mobs but settle things at the ballot box.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Sounds like the Council used slave labour to pull it down. Kinda ironic really. 

11 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

He built many of the schools and hospitals and things in Bristol and helped to develop the place

I guess that makes his slave trading OK then?!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Spreading like the virus, social media posts pitting left vs right, black vs white, nasty stuff going on underneath.

Darn Covid-19 has now mutated into a virus that is creating rage fueled hatred for anything that suits the bill.  I think therefore I am.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Seems like mob rule has taken over in the UK..... police deciding not to intervene..... rule of law broken time and time again.  I'm glad to have left the UK 18 years ago - it's gone to the dogs!

Yes tear gas and rubber bullets and water cannons should be readied I say old chap!

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Darn Covid-19 has now mutated into a virus that is creating rage fueled hatred for anything that suits the bill.  I think therefore I am.....

It always was going to turn out this way, rather than live happily ever after defeating the evil virus.

Just now, Bruno123 said:

Developed the place on the backs of torturing and enslaving people? Proud of that are you?

So I can rob your house and give the proceeds to an old people's home....is that ok? 

I dunno, which old peoples home would you give it to ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

He quite Cleary meant individual members of the public , rather than a government choice (to remove the statue)

Who is Cleary and what does he have to do with the subject?

The people are the government. Those idiots are meant to represent us.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s way past time for the British to learn the full story of their own history.

We're fully aware that our country was involved in slavery.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s way past time for the British to learn the full story of their own history.

I know my history, I was taught it in school and I read about world history too. The UK was not an angel, but we cannot apologize for everything in the past.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1