Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

if his statue is placed in a museum how is his name forgotten? In fact he will also become part of a new history, one that is unfolding right now, which should also be preserved and not forgotten.

IF it go's into a museum then fine. However that still doesn't excuse mob rule.

This aint Springfield!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Maybe, maybe not

He actually said...

"We will get the statue back and it will highly likely end up in one of our museums.

"What's happened to this statue is part of this city's history and it's part of that statue's story."

https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyd-protests-slave-trader-statue-was-an-affront-says-bristol-mayor-as-he-reveals-what-will-happen-to-it-now-12002703

Doesn't sound like it will be left in the water to me ????

• Like 1

History evolves and changes in context over time, we are now seeing history evolving. Whether people like it or not, it will be changing. If you try and defend some of these historical figures, then you will be labelled a racist. That is the way it's going.

4 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

He actually said...

"We will get the statue back and it will highly likely end up in one of our museums.

"What's happened to this statue is part of this city's history and it's part of that statue's story."

https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyd-protests-slave-trader-statue-was-an-affront-says-bristol-mayor-as-he-reveals-what-will-happen-to-it-now-12002703

Doesn't sound like it will be left in the water to me ????

Yeah ...................Likely , as I said

13 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

IF it go's into a museum then fine. However that still doesn't excuse mob rule.

This aint Springfield!

i would normally agree with you 100% but these are not normal times.

Okay, so the students got away with pulling down an unremarkable statue to very controversial figure. Rather that than police intervention and the risk of a potential riot

• Sad 1

Just now, BillStrangeOgre said:

i would normally agree with you 100% but these are not normal times.

Okay, so the students got away with pulling down an unremarkable statue to very controversial figure. Rather that than police intervention and the risk of a potential riot

Surrendering to riotous people ?

Let mob rule ?

Where will it end ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think anyone is wanting to rewrite history, but rather stop lionising these people who we remember as being noble and virtuous, but were, in fact, monsters. 

Nothing he did was illegal in his own lifetime, & for a statue to have been erected more than a century afterwards gives some idea as to how long his legacy lingered in the mindset of Bristolians until well into the 20th century. 

Lets hope the South Wales Borderers museum in Brecon has sandbagged the front door up.

image.jpeg.32ecfec9f8a70d18a9ae3f96c4fdc804.jpeg

(Taking the knee at Rorke's Drift a week after the garrison at Isandlwana had been massacred)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Just students pulling down a dodgy statue...no need to get frightened ????

Well , they were not students , it wasnt a dodgy statue..................and I am not frightened ............apart from that , you are quite correct ????

25 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

So vandalism is cultural ?

Just left-wing, commie kids who thinks the world evolves around them.

Follow the money, BLM is funded by Open Society Foundations, Borealis Philanthropy and Ford amongst others. Open Society Foundations is George Soros' company, big data and social media companies are driving this agenda, a cultural and economic revolution.

Farage is sort of correct today, he thinks that a marxist revolution is on the way, it is left wing driven.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not sure that Farage is in a position to lecture anyone about shadowy groups covertly funding front organisations which seek to engage and mobilise the discontent masses with the objective of fundamentally disrupting the status quo - except from a position of active involvement. 

He thinks this a marxist revolution like 1917 unfolding, but this is data and technology driven. Big players pulling the strings in the shadows to usher in a new world of being cashless and data driven. Everything ties up nicely with the virus as the spark for change.

• Haha 1