Felling of British slave trader statue heats up simmering debate

snoop1130

I do think the statue should have been removed years ago, when we entered a more enlightened time - but I don't understand all this self flagelating white guilt.  I've never owned a slave, and I don't know know anyone who has.

I suspect it's just an excuse to get out of the house, and perhaps loot a TV.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So what’s your problem with a statue of a slave trader being thrown in the harbor?

William the Conquerer crowned himself in Westminster Abbey after some bloke had his eye out but I wouldn't want to see that burned down either, not least cos my ancestors must have played a part in putting it up in the first place.

• Confused 4

31 minutes ago, baansgr said:

His profits from slavery were minimal compared to other trading...so maybe just remove a finger of the statue

Slavery fortune

The wording on the scrapped plaque referred to Colston as one of the city's "greatest benefactors", and later adds "a significant proportion of Colston's wealth came from investments in slave trading, sugar and other slave-produced goods".

Colston, who made his fortune through slavery, was on the board of the Royal African Company. Between 1672 and 1689, ships from the company, are believed to have transported 84,000 men, women and children from Africa to the Americas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-47670756

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The lack of discipline, and Parliament's Army (in the form of plod) sitting back and allowing it to happen right under their noses.

It must hurt like <deleted> that your beloved so called party of Law and Order didnt have the balls to give the nod and deal with a load of young demonstrators. 

Not so tough after all eh. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Seems like mob rule has taken over in the UK..... police deciding not to intervene..... rule of law broken time and time again.  I'm glad to have left the UK 18 years ago - it's gone to the dogs!

Sure, you can't adore the racists anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BillStrangeOgre said:

...as i said earlier, do you think the police should have risked turning a fairly peaceful demonstration into a riot to save a statue of a slave trader? The demonstrators made their point and went home. No one was hurt, no looting or burning. I think the police played it exactly right

Info seen elsewhere from a serving copper in that force says they knew full well what the plan was and that they had the resources to deal with it.

They were overruled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The music venue Colston Hall in Bristol has issued a statement today confirming its intention to change its name. The plan to abandon the Colston name (derived from Edward Colston) was originally announced three years ago, and a new name was due to be unveiled this spring, as part of a development of the building. The work has been held up because of the coronavirus crisis, the statement says.

"Back in the Commons, asked if she agrees that statues of white men who enslaved others should be removed, Priti Patel, the home secretary, said decisions like this should be taken democratically within the law." Another fudger and bluffer in the cabinet.

The Labour party support the action-that's what opposition do.

The Torys as government have to stand by the mantra of law and order as they're the ones who have to uphold it...don't try and read to much into it

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Info seen elsewhere from a serving copper in that force says they knew full well what the plan was and that they had the resources to deal with it.

They were overruled.

If that's the case then I would say it was a coup for the government. There is no hint of police brutality on our shores, thank you very much, and by letting a small minority of people, intent on violence, dominate the headlines, the much bigger movement is made to look as thuggish and undemocratic as the mob who jumped on the bandwagon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The problem will be people standing guard over statues in the next protests, there are bound to be confrontations and violence are tensions are running high. The MSM and social media are fuelling the fires, some people are too thick to get that they are being played.

20200608_100301.jpg

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No toss it it the drink, like the bodies of slaves who died on board ships taking them across the Atlantic.

So us ole whities can demonstrate and loot...it's a known fact more white sailors died transporting slaves than slaves themselves

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The problem will be people standing guard over statues in the next protests, there are bound to be confrontations and violence are tensions are running high. The MSM and social media are fuelling the fires, some people are too thick to get that they are being played.

20200608_100301.jpg

Exactly...the BLM demonstrators are being played and are too dim to see how they are being used. Thanks for highlighting that point

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

TBH that seems to be on the cards for next Saturday if HMG can't come up with a solution beforehand. The best thing they could do is drop this virus malarky and send everyone back to work.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Exactly...the BLM demonstrators are being played and are too dim to see how they are being used. Thanks for highlighting that point

The other side are being played too, both sides are being played to clash with each other. Rumours of white football hooligans turning up for the next protest, Tommy Robinson's name mentioned on that Facebook page.

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

TBH that seems to be on the cards for next Saturday if HMG can't come up with a solution beforehand. The best thing they could do is drop this virus malarky and send everyone back to work.

Couldn't agree more, these lockdowns need to finish before the damage gets worse. The death totals are dropping and it's not certain a 2nd wave will happen anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/08/fall-of-bristols-colston-statue-revives-rhodes-campaign-in-oxford

The protest in Oxford is planned to take place at 5pm on Tuesday in front of the Rhodes statue. Round 2 on the way.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The other side are being played too, both sides are being played to clash with each other. Rumours of white football hooligans turning up for the next protest, Tommy Robinson's name mentioned on that Facebook page.

I saw Elvis selling kebabs in Scunthorpe on an FB page....hardly reliable source is FB