WHO says asymptomatic spread of Covid is rare

Coronavirus spread by people with no symptoms 'appears to be rare,' WHO official says.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/08/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread-who-bn/index.html

Amazing they are finally coming around to giving people a better picture of this deadly disease that isn't  really so deadly after all.  

Edited by Crossy
Comment on moderation removed
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Gave  up believing anything  I  read  about this  virus  months  ago, so  much krap out there cant make sense of anything, wear  mask dont wear mask etc etc then theres the Thais whose  masks  go up and down like yo-yos when another place  tells me to never  touch the mask and change every few  hours, masks  under noses masks that let air in round the sides makes no sense to me unless they are airtight, then the mask type, easier for me to stay the  hell away form everyone, too  much information and bs the WORLD over and way to  much pressure to conform to what some people want, <deleted>  off and leave me  alone and words like "new  normal" and social influencer" (read idle idiot with high  opinion of themselves freeloading) total tripe.

• Like 1

Wow, that fundamentally changes the WHO’s understanding and message of how this virus is spread and what should be done as a response. This is not a minor clarification.

It means that governments should focus on controlling the spread among people with symptoms, instead of locking down the healthy and asymptotic ones.

Why am I thinking that the lockdown prophets will try to ignore this fundamental change?

• Like 1

Atop World Health Organization official clarified on Tuesday that scientists have not determined yet how frequently people with asymptomatic cases of Covid-19 pass the disease on to others, a day after suggesting that such spread is “very rare.”

The clarification comes after the WHO’s original comments incited strong pushback from outside public health experts, who suggested the agency had erred, or at least miscommunicated, when it said people who didn’t show symptoms were unlikely to spread the virus.

Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s technical lead on the Covid-19 pandemic, made it very clear Tuesday that the actual rates of asymptomatic transmission aren’t yet known.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

:coffee1:

• Confused 1

Yeah, obviously she got a big scolding for saying something she was not supposed to say. 

She had taken the studies seriously, and what I see in the later statements are not facts or studies but a simple “we don’t know yet”, packaged as if that would be facts against the studies on which her original statement was based.

Poor woman, she must have gotten a lot of heat for doing her job and breaking a taboo in that process.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, steelepulse said:

Coronavirus spread by people with no symptoms 'appears to be rare,' WHO official says.

Your topic line was correct. The quoted line however is not.

Here is why. There is a difference between presymtomatic and asymptomatic.

EaCPTErUMAEt5GM.thumb.jpeg.01b95fa03881f454baffe7b620e8b535.jpeg