Apartment electricity charges

Why Me

15 hours ago, Why Me said:

Ok, so I guess you rent from an individual owner who simply gives you the bill to pay. I am in a rental building owned by one entity and all apartments rented out by the same. So my my meter readings and electric charges are shown in my monthly statement. I don't get to see the MEA bill.

Which raises the question if the building gets one giant bill from the MEA or individual ones per meter. I suspect I know the answer.

Since your landlord clearly owns more than five units, the law says that he can only charge the actual amount that he is billed by MEA, plus up to 25% for internal infrastructure. Even with that extra 25%, that would come out to no more than 5 baht per kwh. That happens to be what I pay at my building in central Bangkok, though my inquiry about MEA Covid refunds was met with a lot of hemming and hawing. (It's all but impossible to decipher the MEA website to figure out what rebates were actually given to apartment building owners as opposed to individuals.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Why Me said:

Thanks for the info. Especially about the discount. But little chance I will get it.

I'm already battling the owner to replace the AC in my bedroom with a newer one. That is definitely the power sink. It's an older unit which never brings the temp below 28C all night even though I set it at 24 (a few years ago it would bring it down to 24 in 30mins). Which means it never cuts off plus I have to run a fan otherwise I am not going to be comfortable. All in all a huge power drain.

But the man wants me to pay half the price, about 15k, for a new AC. Which I don't think is justified given it'll be his. I offered 5k. Might have to swallow my pride and up that to 10.

Sounds like the outdoor unit on your AC unit may need a good clean. Most people clean the filters and "radiator" in the indoor unit but neglect out door unit where there is a much bigger "radiator". I had the same issue. Kept drooping set point but would not cool. Paid 700 baht to have indoor and outdoor cleaned. Great after that.

Might be a wise investment first.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

I'd see about servicing the air conditioner before I went nuclear. Even if pay 700 baht to service the air conditioner all you'd have to do to re-coop the 700 would be cut the electric bill a hundred kilowatts. I'm not sure I"d ask the landlord to do the servicing, just do it.

Good idea thanks. I'll make that the first thing to do then. It'll also show the landlord I am serious about trying to fix the problem, not just complaining about the electric bill.

Any recos for an AC service place in Bkk?

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 6:33 AM, Why Me said:

Ok, so I guess you rent from an individual owner who simply gives you the bill to pay. I am in a rental building owned by one entity and all apartments rented out by the same. So my my meter readings and electric charges are shown in my monthly statement. I don't get to see the MEA bill.

Which raises the question if the building gets one giant bill from the MEA or individual ones per meter. I suspect I know the answer.

Apartments always charge more for elec. There are a few factors in the billing peak time / non-peak time but an apartment base rate is 5THB Kwh, most apartments charge anywhere from 6-9 baht Kwh. I made this mistake when I first moved to Thailand and my elec bill was more than my rent. 

• Haha 1

What can you do if you know a owner who overcharges ? is there any official way to report him ?

is it really illegal when the building has more than 5 rooms / tenants ?

and are you sure that nothing will happen to him after reporting ?

the person does not care to have to move, it's a temporary place, but really want to make problems to the a55hole owner.

Edited by gamesgplayemail

15 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

they get individual rates and then charge you extra to cover the extra fees they have to pay....where do you think all those 7% rental return guarantee money comes from....Some of it will be from charging nearly 2x electrical rate to you... I currently pay about 3.7 or 3.8 right now. I have aircon running 24/7 and 2 laptops running 24/7 and my electric bill is 1100 month!

Btw I rent in an apartment complex too, nice one with pool and gym but through a agent.

you are clearly lying.

No way that you pay only 1100 with 24 hours aircon.

We have a 2 bedroom house. 1 bedroom AC on 24/7 no other AC gas stove @ 3,000 baht/billing.

i clean AC filters inside unity and Outside unit once a month which keeps it efficient and cold at 25c. 

Suggest if you think your rate is unfair talk to the 

owner or whoever bills you. 

Best of luck...stay well

Edited by DJ54
Add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

What can you do if you know a owner who overcharges ? is there any official way to report him ?

is it really illegal when the building has more than 5 rooms / tenants ?

and are you sure that nothing will happen to him after reporting ?

the person does not care to have to move, it's a temporary place, but really want to make problems to the a55hole owner.

I am sure I read that when they bought this law in they were only allowed to charge unto 20% more than government rate. My ex was paying double. I told her to say something . She just said no as she would be kicked out and have to find another room.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:33 PM, Why Me said:

I pay the mea directly as I am in a condo. My rate is 4.5 per kwh with about a 25% discount per month on the total bill because of covid. I suspect your landlord is pocketing the discount in addition to over charging you.

• Like 1

you are clearly lying.

Mine is 12-1600, running 24-7, with a west facing, high floor condo..using a 17.6 SEER inverter, 17000 BTU.  I only shut it off, when leaving town, which has been seem this hot season.  Long, hot showers, too..it helps my back.  I could get it down to 1100 fairly easy.  Running at 25-26C.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 11:43 AM, Why Me said:

Thanks for the info. Especially about the discount. But little chance I will get it.

I'm already battling the owner to replace the AC in my bedroom with a newer one. That is definitely the power sink. It's an older unit which never brings the temp below 28C all night even though I set it at 24 (a few years ago it would bring it down to 24 in 30mins). Which means it never cuts off plus I have to run a fan otherwise I am not going to be comfortable. All in all a huge power drain.

But the man wants me to pay half the price, about 15k, for a new AC. Which I don't think is justified given it'll be his. I offered 5k. Might have to swallow my pride and up that to 10.

I recently replaced two A/C units (9/18k BTU) in my condo with (12/24k BTU) with new inverter units. The efficiency, cooling, noise and power savings are stunning. OK they weren't cheap at 25/38,000 Baht but comfort and costs for the new 10 years are much better. Very happy.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonray said:

HomePro has a great service. I just had them do all three in the house....promotion 555 baht per unit. Very professional (4 staff) and thorough. Disassembled entire unit, pressure washed internals and filters and flushed out drain lines.

homepro pattaya ?

people really work for homepro company or are just independent who give a commission to homepro ?

thank you.

homepro pattaya ?

people really work for homepro company or are just independent who give a commission to homepro ?

thank you.

Don't know about Pattaya...but I think they are employees of HomePro's service unit. Homepro Truck and Uniforms...did not look like your typical province guys who show up in their own beater to put together furniture, etc etc.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:52 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

you are clearly lying.

oh really please tell me more....Mr master of the electricity and pricing with aircon....Why would anyone lie about how much they spend a month on electric...Yes my aircon is on 24/7 yes my bill the last 2-3 months is 1100 month(running 25/26C most time and room is cold).....the most my bill has ever been was 14?? and that was when i had the aircon down to 21.... let me guess your aircon is running at 16??? 

Edited by theonetrueaussie
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

Don't know about Pattaya...but I think they are employees of HomePro's service unit. Homepro Truck and Uniforms...did not look like your typical province guys who show up in their own beater to put together furniture, etc etc.

The latest idiots who cleaned my aircon fuxxed the electronic and i had to pay 10000 to fix the aircon (directly with daikin Thailand official center)

4 hours ago, theonetrueaussie said:

oh really please tell me more....Mr master of the electricity and pricing with aircon....Why would anyone lie about how much they spend a month on electric...Yes my aircon is on 24/7 yes my bill the last 2-3 months is 1100 month(running 25/26C most time and room is cold).....the most my bill has ever been was 14?? and that was when i had the aircon down to 21.... let me guess your aircon is running at 16??? 

aircon at 28, not 24 hours, minimum 1500, you are clearly wrong.