Tourist visa up to 6 months

Hi all

l realize that this question has likely been answered to death on this forum. But l found it really hard to get a straight answer online with the rules constantly changing plus everything being in flux at the moment. 

Once the quarantine is over, I would like to try living in Thailand for an extended period of time while working remotely for a company in Canada. I know that this doesn't qualify me for a work visa. However, I've read that people are able to stay in Thailand for up to 9 months on a METV using extensions and border runs. 

What's the latest on using this tactic? Is it high risk of deportation? Are these things highly scrutinized by the officials or do they turn a blind eye to it?

Would I be able to rent an apartment under this type of visa?

Should I look into getting an ED visa instead?

Thanks in advance!

25 minutes ago, blusky2 said:

Hi all

l realize that this question has likely been answered to death on this forum. But l found it really hard to get a straight answer online with the rules constantly changing plus everything being in flux at the moment. 

Once the quarantine is over, I would like to try living in Thailand for an extended period of time while working remotely for a company in Canada. I know that this doesn't qualify me for a work visa. However, I've read that people are able to stay in Thailand for up to 9 months on a METV using extensions and border runs. 

What's the latest on using this tactic? Is it high risk of deportation? Are these things highly scrutinized by the officials or do they turn a blind eye to it?

Would I be able to rent an apartment under this type of visa?

Should I look into getting an ED visa instead?

Are you in Thailand? If not, you may have to wait for a year to enter Thailand on a tourist visa. Covid-19 is not going away from Western countries. It wil stick like a plague for a year at least. If you're in Thailand, you have to go back to your country to get an METV. And once you land in your country, you're back to square one and not able to come back for a year or so. People were staying on METV pre-covid days. However, nobody has any idea what would happen in a post-covid era.

Edited by Mulambana
  • Like 2

You might be better served by going to an agent. They not only know what can and can't be done, but they have status with immigration, who they generally know on a first name basis - at a cost, of course.

Edited by teatime101
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

Are you in Thailand? If not, you may have to wait for a year to enter Thailand on a tourist visa. Covid-19 is not going away from Western countries. It wil stick like a plague for a year at least. If you're in Thailand, you have to go back to your country to get an METV. And once you land in your country, you're back to square one and not able to come back for a year or so. People were staying on METV pre-covid days. However, nobody has any idea what would happen in a post-covid era.

I'm currently in Canada. I know it's hard to predict what will happen "post covid" but the Toronto consulate is planning to start taking visa applications again starting next month. So, I'm just trying to plan for the future and figure out whether this plan is at all feasible. 

9 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

If you qualify for an METV then there's nothing wrong with your idea. (excluding COVID19 considerations). 

Work remotely, dont tell anyone, nobody will find out or be interested in finding out.  The only "officials" you'll come across are immigration when entering and leaving the country.  Tell them you're on holiday if they even ask.

You'll be able to rent on the METV, I think you'll need accommodation booked for the visa application but I'm sure thats not a problem to sort out.

Unfortunately, might be quite some time before you can carry out your plan!

Thank you, that helps!

3 hours ago, blusky2 said:

I'm not looking to break the law. But if there's a visa that would allow me to live in Thailand for 3-6 months, I would like to take advantage of it.

The only law you would be breaking is the Thai labour laws. As a digital nomad, what you would be doing is not technically legal. However, there is ample evidence that immigration (i) know it is going on; (ii) know that there is no practical way for you to legally be a digital nomad in Thailand; and (iii) tolerate your technical breach of the labour laws.

Sometimes, illegal acts are both safe and moral. This is one of those occasions.

Until Canada is Covid-19 free, your chances of being able to satisfy your ambition is poor.

• Like 1

I think once the pandemic has blown over (in whatever way), immigration policy really could go both ways and it remains to be seen. They could continue with their ongoing tightening campaign, or they could relax for a while to make up for lost income.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, blusky2 said:

... I've read that people are able to stay in Thailand for up to 9 months on a METV using extensions and border runs.

Yes, with a caveat - some entry-points do NOT follow the law, and may deny entry on your border-runs.  Based on the pre-Covid situation, you will need to do your border-runs using law-abiding land-entry points - which is most of them, with a few notable exceptions (Sadao, Pedang Besar, Aranyaprathet/Poipet). 

The Chiang Mai airport was not reported to be blocking those re-entering on METVs - if you have proof of hotel-booking at 20K Baht in Cash - but any air-entry risks detention and a forced-flight back to where you came from (sometimes allowed to fly somewhere else), whereas a land-border rejection just means walk back through no-mans-land, cancel your exit stamp (from the other country), and try another entry-point.

But, as others have pointed out, the "unpublished rules" being enforced before (illegally), could change when travel is possible, again.

12 hours ago, blusky2 said:

I'm not looking to break the law. But if there's a visa that would allow me to live in Thailand for 3-6 months, I would like to take advantage of it.

The Eduacation Visa is often used for this.  You could take classes at an informal school, and get 90-day extensions repeatedly for a year.  If you do this, be sure to find a school that "handles" your extensions for you, as Immigration is based around an "envelope-money" system.  Reports were about 3000 Baht per "hassle-free" extension. 

Whether you "really attend classes or not" is not the issue with immigration - their "envelope" is.  That said, if I were doing this, I would attend the classes, and document my attendence, as a CYA measure.  And you would be paying for the classes, anyway, so might as well get your money's worth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mulambana said:

I doubt very much Thailand will keep its borders closed to tourist for another 12 months.

I'd say they start welcoming tourist by October, well at least the Chinese anyway.

20 hours ago, blusky2 said:

I'm currently in Canada. I know it's hard to predict what will happen "post covid" but the Toronto consulate is planning to start taking visa applications again starting next month. So, I'm just trying to plan for the future and figure out whether this plan is at all feasible. 

You have to check the requirements for a METV. In several countries in Europe you need to be employed or self-employed to get one.