Is the continuing ban on alcohol sales in bars/restaurants punitive?

Trujillo

41 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Do you ever ask yourself 'why' you need ;

A) to brag to us that you are willing to break the law? Do you suppose that impresses anyone?

B) to satisfy a drinking problem so severe that you are willing to expose yourself to incarceration (as happened last week in Phuket to foreigners who were drinking) just to satiate that need?

Personally, I don't care if you drink or don't drink. Nothing wrong with drinking now and then.

It's the problem with it that you so clearly demonstrate that I wonder about, and your blatant disregard of the law.  Do you really think the laws don't apply to you?

May i ask.

Where have i  broken the law, accepting alcolhol (beer) served to me in a coffee mug by the restruant staff.

I can be certainly be corrected but surely its the restruant owner,s responsibility to carry this Alcolhol ban, not me.

Edited by deej

2 hours ago, deej said:

May i ask.

Where have i  broken the law, accepting alcolhol (beer) served to me in a coffee mug by the restruant staff.

LOL! Tell that to the foreigners arrested in Phuket for drinking in a restaurant.

I guess it's easy to forget what you've posted if you drink as much as it appears. I think they call them 'Blackouts.'

I guess you forgot that in another thread at the start of the alcohol ban,  you bragged to us how you buy your alcohol from a small Mom&Pop shop when it was no longer being sold by the Supermarkets and convenience store.  Now you are doing it again in this thread.

I really don't understand the psychology behind the need you display to brag about breaking the law...

9 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I guess it's easy to forget what you've posted if you drink as much as it appears. I think they call them 'Blackouts.'

I guess you forgot that in another thread at the start of the alcohol ban,  you bragged to us how you buy your alcohol from a small Mom&Pop shop when it was no longer being sold by the Supermarkets and convenience store.  Now you are doing it again in this thread.

I really don't understand the psychology behind the need you display to brag about breaking the law...

My posts on both threads have been on topic, and the events that occured ,were

I,am sure being carried through out Thailand,largely due to the Govt,s flip flopping on the Alcolhol Ban policy Etc Etc. 

Therefore i was not on my tot 

Your responses to my posts on both threads , IMO are appalling, labeling me  a Alcolholic Etc Etc and to seek another Country to reside in, to quench my desires. which i took exception to, in one of my posts.

Your above post, and others,  clearly shows your extreme biased, to a old fart, such as myself. who enjoys a beer or glass of wine whilst dining at any restuarant in C/Mai and will continue to do so

15 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Amazing, but what month is that ? Sorry but I like to be specific. In addition, open air bars should not really be in the same category as enclosed close proximity type bars, but the powers that be are not distinguishing. When you say bars, do you mean open or closed type ?

The letter does not say  what type, but it does say next week, and strangely there was no mention from the government yesterday. I wonder if it is a local police thing, nothing would surprise me here. I will ask the Wife for a more in depth translation. 

"With all the problems going on in the Kingdom, serious problems, drinking is what occupies your minds?"

Again, you missed the point. This is about banning a segment of freedoms that does not jibe with what has already been allowed after the "lockdown" regulations were lifted. I'm not craving alcohol -- anyone can buy that in a supermarket or 7-Eleven -- but I pass by the Night Bazaar, go up Loy Khroh, etc. and see businesses still shuttered because of the alcohol sales ban. 

In the spirit of fairness, I can't see why businesses that are centered on alcohol sales with onsite consumption are being denied the right to operate when all other shops enjoy this right. And why not allow the sale of alcohol in restaurants that are already open? The whole idea that bars would create gatherings, which would be "dangerous" is nonsense when everything else is already open to gatherings. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

This is about banning a segment of freedoms

16 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

In the spirit of fairness

16 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

the right to operate

In case your steed is unwell you can rent a white horse at the SW corner of the Lana Golf Course.  The Provincial Offices will be awaiting your arrival Monday morning to hear your complaints regarding governmental acts.

Be advised that you can bring documentation, tapes and videos to support your case and in fairness they will have similar evidence regarding your alcohol consumption, driving infractions, defamation and other violations of Thai law.

We wish you best of luck.

1 hour ago, deej said:

Your responses to my posts on both threads , IMO are appalling, labeling me  a Alcolholic Etc Etc and to seek another Country to reside in, to quench my desires. which i took exception to, in one of my posts.

Your above post, and others,  clearly shows your extreme biased, to a old fart, such as myself. who enjoys a beer or glass of wine whilst dining at any restuarant in C/Mai and will continue to do so

On the contrary. As I've stated several times, I don't care if you drink or don't drink. Nothing wrong with it. I like Rum. My wife likes beer. But we don't need to break the laws to enjoy it.

My 'bias' is against people who break the law, and not only break it, but brag about breaking it.

The laws were made for the good of the community, whether you agree or not. If you wish to live within the community, it is your responsibility to live within those laws... or get out.

Obviously, your drinking problem is so severe that you are willing to face incarceration for violating the laws just to satiate your alcohol addiction, again, whether or not you are willing to admit it. Your alcohol problem is not my problem. But your willingness to break the law is everyone's problem. If you can't conform to society, you don't deserve to be in it.

13 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

On the contrary. As I've stated several times, I don't care if you drink or don't drink. Nothing wrong with it. I like Rum. My wife likes beer. But we don't need to break the laws to enjoy it.

My 'bias' is against people who break the law, and not only break it, but brag about breaking it.

The laws were made for the good of the community, whether you agree or not. If you wish to live within the community, it is your responsibility to live within those laws... or get out.

Obviously, your drinking problem is so severe that you are willing to face incarceration for violating the laws just to satiate your alcohol addiction, again, whether or not you are willing to admit it. Your alcohol problem is not my problem. But your willingness to break the law is everyone's problem. If you can't conform to society, you don't deserve to be in it.

With due respect.

You are becoming a broken record player.

Byeeeee!!!!!

I have it on good authority that nothing is going on here that is not a plot, or a plot within a plot.

As J. Swift wrote, circa 1700CE:

"A flea hath fleas

that on him prey,

and, so on,

'til infinity"

~ o:37;

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 7:58 AM, FolkGuitar said:

With all the problems going on in the Kingdom, serious problems, drinking is what occupies your minds?

Personal freedom to live and enjoy my life as I see fit is what occupies my mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Personal freedom to live and enjoy my life as I see fit is what occupies my mind.

Wrong country for that. Accept how it is here or move on (bit hard at the current time).

If you want freedom and are not black i believe the US is a nice place.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, bkk6060 said:

I think the "open the bars" complainers are some of the same who complained about the beaches being closed.  You know, the complainers about the dirty, filthy, crowded, smelly beaches.

The beaches are open and no one is there.  

Open the bars then lets hear similar complain about the high cost, the warm beer, the rude staff, and unattractive girls.

Some people just have a problem with rules and will never be happy.

Well, yes, everyone has a problem with rules that stop enjoyment, for no apparent reason.  

I'm beginning to wonder if bars will ever re-open.  Certainly there is now only a tenuous link to covid19, so you do wonder if there is anti-alcohol agenda.  Or should that just be anti nightlife?

More to this than some facile explanation.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:12 AM, robblok said:

I have my doubts about the 1 meter distance. Plus drunk people don't follow rules. Plus the bar girls would be a huge spreader because I doubt the 1 meter will work especially after some beers and girls needing to make money. Masks are of course not worn in bars.. making them far more unsafe as other places. 

So i doubt the junta has an agenda. Just logic that many of the bar flies just want to deny. Where I go i see people wearing masks logging in on apps (some dont of course) and getting checked for temprature. Bar with drunk people wont be able to do so (but are less of a problem as bars with girls)

Bars facilitate the spread of the virus but they don't create it! So you're bound to wonder just how free of the virus Thailand really is.  Personally, I think we may to all intents say Thailand is free. Thus, I wonder if there is some kind of anti-alcohol agenda.  I believe all establishments will reopen in time with entertainment restrictions, but because of the economic damage caused so far we will likely see a much reduced bar/nightlife scene, and that is what the authorities want.  So to that end, there is some kind of agenda going on here.  I think while farang tourists were here spending freely, bar closure was not justifiable, but now that shield has been removed of course. The glory days are likely over.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Bars facilitate the spread of the virus but they don't create it! So you're bound to wonder just how free of the virus Thailand really is.  Personally, I think we may to all intents say Thailand is free. Thus, I wonder if there is some kind of anti-alcohol agenda.  I believe all establishments will reopen in time with entertainment restrictions, but because of the economic damage caused so far we will likely see a much reduced bar/nightlife scene, and that is what the authorities want.  So to that end, there is some kind of agenda going on here.  I think while farang tourists were here spending freely, bar closure was not justifiable, but now that shield has been removed of course. The glory days are likely over.

If it was not about the virus all other things would be really open 100% and they are not. Its costing the country money and i doubt they will purposely ruin the economy just to destroy a few bars. Plus I would not worry too much about beer bars does not cost much to open one up again. They are always for sale for the next idiot in Pattaya. If there is demand it will be back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

If it was not about the virus all other things would be really open 100% and they are not. Its costing the country money and i doubt they will purposely ruin the economy just to destroy a few bars. Plus I would not worry too much about beer bars does not cost much to open one up again. They are always for sale for the next idiot in Pattaya. If there is demand it will be back.

Are we talking about a few bars? To be specific, I rather suspect the Government sees this as a heaven sent opportunity to close as many go-go bars, and soapies as possible- permanently.  I mean the tourist sector is ruined, isn't it?  Yes, bars will pop up but there won't be much demand, because the type of tourists they attract won't be coming in great numbers for a while. There was already a kind of 'sanitisation' process under way, and that has been the case for many years.  Covid 19 has offered the perfect guise to accelerate that process.

I think the powers that be have already decided that Thai tourism is going up market and east Asian. and the neon red light districts are an obstacle to this.  So, it's goodbye to Mr farang, and in some instances good riddance.

I guess the next few weeks will be revealing.  If bars, traditional massage parlours, gyms, and swimming pools reopen,  but not the establishments mentioned above, then I think that may indicate that actually there is another agenda at play.  

I believe the government will relent after a while, after much wrangling, and restrictions will be in place, such that they undermine the viability of entertainment areas such as Nana Plaza.  Of course some much changed bars will remain in some back end alley, but the developers will move in to build yet more hotels, and high end condo projects.

Edited by mommysboy

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Are we talking about a few bars? To be specific, I rather suspect the Government sees this as a heaven sent opportunity to close as many go-go bars, and soapies as possible- permanently.  I mean the tourist sector is ruined, isn't it?  Yes, bars will pop up but there won't be much demand, because the type of tourists they attract won't be coming in great numbers for a while. There was already a kind of 'sanitisation' process under way, and that has been the case for many years.  Covid 19 has offered the perfect guise to accelerate that process.

I think the powers that be have already decided that Thai tourism is going up market and east Asian. and the neon red light districts are an obstacle to this.  So, it's goodbye to Mr farang, and in some instances good riddance.

I guess the next few weeks will be revealing.  If bars, traditional massage parlours, gyms, and swimming pools reopen,  but not the establishments mentioned above, then I think that may indicate that actually there is another agenda at play.  

I disagree plenty of reasons to ban bars from opening. 

The sole purpose of bars is to socialize. Ask any drinker why they don't drink alone is that they like to see other people. Als you don't wear a mask when drinking, will get more daring and less caring about rules as you get drunk. Add to that girls that go with multiple customers and certainly wont wear masks as guys like to see their faces you got a prime corvid spreader.

Personally I would not care much if bars get less. But of course other people like them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree plenty of reasons to ban bars from opening. 

The sole purpose of bars is to socialize. Ask any drinker why they don't drink alone is that they like to see other people. Als you don't wear a mask when drinking, will get more daring and less caring about rules as you get drunk. Add to that girls that go with multiple customers and certainly wont wear masks as guys like to see their faces you got a prime corvid spreader.

Personally I would not care much if bars get less. But of course other people like them. 

In the absence of a virus all measures are rather pointless.

Perhaps another explanation is that the Thai authorities (and Chinese) don't seem confident about their facts.  

In 2 weeks, all things being equal, the bars will reopen.  If not there will be some huge question marks.

• Like 1

I think we have to be realistic about bars. In Nong Khai for example, there are 'family friendly' bars.....family in these situations are bars where 'White' guys go with their wives and hang out with other foreigners, where wives eat and drink with their female frends. Also, there are the bars where some may go later to enchant a Lass with their elderly charm (wallet). I believe there are far more of the latter than the former. Regarding bars .... it may be more to do with after bar activity than 'in the bar' activity. I won't return for a few years and I do have extended family there. Cambodia is almost worse than Thailand with their new rules. The new 'no tourists on the bus'....was a deal breaker in Thailand. I hear that in Vietnam they also have 'no tourists allowed signs' at hotels, restaurants etc. We White folk blame the Chinese/Asians for the 'virus', They (SE Asians) blame 'White Folk' for the virus. It is almost fair ? It just may not end well......maybe eventually ? I am old enough to know when the AIDS epidemic was rife. I was cutting  'prickle brush' on the farm and then rode into Chieng Dao for a beer and food....I had many cuts and my regular waitresses were afraid of me.  I understood that...Skin colour is a definer of fears. 

Last nite. One  of my restaruant Beer Coffee Mug providers????were serving beer direct from the tap, or bottles,and bottles of wine.

The owner mentioned that the Alcohol ban has been lifted????

15 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"....Bars facilitate the spread of the virus ..."

Uh, I don't suppose you have any evidence of this, in the form of peer-reviewed published study, do you? 

Or is this just bar room philosophy? ????

What I observed in Japan over the last 10 weeks. Has a drinking culture like Thailand. I ate out every night or got takeout. Always a few open restaurants, and some  bars. Some had alcohol until 7 pm and some social distancing. Other establishments ignored govt "recommendations" and forsook govt aid to sty open.  95 percent of Japanese follow govt. recommendations with no force of law. Masks are universal. Many people wear them anyway and for tree pollen. The streets were dead for weeks. There were no full lock-downs, much much more death than Thailand, and yes reported breakout clusters of infections, at live bars. Many people died here for the sake of the economy. Not the mass death in USA, which continues and will be much much worse

• People are able to sit by themselves or in a small group at a restaurant and enjoy alcohol with meal.
  • Once you have a "bar" environment and tipsiness social distancing goes out the window and soon you see the  glad-handing and people talking loudly in each others faces. You could literally see the spit fly at some of the  places that are foreign friendly. I left quickly.

Bars, discos, live houses, and kariokis should probably be closed in Chiang Mai until 14 days after there have been no local infections reported in Thailand for 28 days. Is Thailand there yet? Maybe Pubs could be allowed, with social distancing, but no loud music. Yes, the prude squad will use covid-19 to press their agenda as far as possible but continuing closure of bars should not see seen as punitive, but a prudent measure of public health policy.

It's not punitive and it's not some consipracy. What's happening is that the government is listening to the advice of the country's public-health experts, who by all evaluations have done an outstanding job working with the population on controlling infections. They know that with alcohol come more people venturing out unnecessarily, less social distancing, more ER visits, etc. It made sense to impose the ban, and now it makes sense to lift it. It doesn't really matter to me one way or another.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1