Is the continuing ban on alcohol sales in bars/restaurants punitive?

Trujillo

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Truly horrendous stuff. 

Like police brutality, starvation, child abuse, lack of health care, racial hatred, ignorance and the rest of the horrendous stuff.

• Haha 2

Is the continuing ban on alcohol sales in bars/restaurants punitive?

The forces of darkness have a new weapon with their new and wonderfully versatile ‘emergency decree’….and they naturally want to demonstrate this power.

An easy, hassle-free way to show off (and scare the monkeys) is to victimize the bars, as they cannot really fight back. But as bars operate in the police sphere of influence, they undoubtedly had to make a few courtesy calls to insure their complicity. The police are okay with this because they know that when the bars are grudgingly allowed to re-open...they will have an excuse to double (or even triple) the monthly cost of police 'protection'.

Apparently the people who own and run bars don’t have too many generals as Facebook friends….so they’re a good target of opportunity.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think they are going to allow restaurants to serve alcohol now surely that has to be if you order a meal otherwise you will just get a load of guys going in there drinking with no food, where I live that was a problem the restaurants became a bar then you had the police doing the rounds  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AhFarangJa said:

and other rules are employed, such as one metre space between staff and customers.

Hows that work, Whilst I might be a grower not a shower I aint exactly Pinnochio.

• Haha 1

Im not being a Cheap Charlie but I for one will not be going to the bar every night like I used to, once or twice a week, Buy a case of bxxr from makro and sit by the pool, quiet a lot of friends are thinking the same, It's made me get out of the habit and if and when football comes back, no problem 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think the "open the bars" complainers are some of the same who complained about the beaches being closed.  You know, the complainers about the dirty, filthy, crowded, smelly beaches.

The beaches are open and no one is there.  

Open the bars then lets hear similar complain about the high cost, the warm beer, the rude staff, and unattractive girls.

Some people just have a problem with rules and will never be happy.

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im not being a Cheap Charlie but I for one will not be going to the bar every night like I used to, once or twice a week, Buy a case of bxxr from makro and sit by the pool, quiet a lot of friends are thinking the same, It's made me get out of the habit and if and when football comes back, no problem 

They can never be happy unless every rule is strictly obeyed.

38 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Yesterday we had a letter from our local plod, bars can re open on 15th. as long as hand sanitisers, and other rules are employed, such as one metre space between staff and customers. About time as well, and I say this as a bar owner ( well, the wife is ), and not as a customer.

I have my doubts about the 1 meter distance. Plus drunk people don't follow rules. Plus the bar girls would be a huge spreader because I doubt the 1 meter will work especially after some beers and girls needing to make money. Masks are of course not worn in bars.. making them far more unsafe as other places. 

So i doubt the junta has an agenda. Just logic that many of the bar flies just want to deny. Where I go i see people wearing masks logging in on apps (some dont of course) and getting checked for temprature. Bar with drunk people wont be able to do so (but are less of a problem as bars with girls)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

So is this some act of vengeance in the higher order of government? Is Mr. Government wanting a bigger cut from Mr. Beer Magnate? Is it an old score being settled? A dangling quid quo pro? 

those who want a drink will still buy it and drink at home instead, it's not the alcohol companies that have to suffer..

anyway it'll be served again on Monday in restaurants, so it'll be nice to start eating out again

one of my local restaurants is called 'sport bar' catering to Thai people - every customer orders food with their drink, so i'm interested to see if that will be open, it's in a quiet area away from everything else

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

So is this some act of vengeance in the higher order of government? Is Mr. Government wanting a bigger cut from Mr. Beer Magnate? Is it an old score being settled? A dangling quid quo pro? 

I'm not one for conspiracy theories as a rule, but it seems to me this has gone on quite long enough to start asking questions. 

What do you think? 

I'm thinking you have far too much time on your hands these days.

An "an act of vengeance" ...................................  ???? Sad. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

With all the problems going on in the Kingdom, serious problems, drinking is what occupies your minds?

Your above opinion,

is way over top, in my books.

Many countrys through out the world have relaxed bans  such as alcohol venues etc etc.

recently with rules in place.

By keeping such bans in place,is helping no one at all????particular with the very low Covid 19 cases, recorded in Cmai Province.

I read a recent TripAdvisor review of a CM bar, on the Moat:. "three sickened, one hospitalized," so yes, things are slowly returning to normal.  Next time you feel the need to mock the Baptist or other Protestant religious for their views on drinking, just remember what the peace loving Buddhist did to your favorite local business.  And they still can't drive, plumb, do electric, do laundry, or run a swimming pool worth a damn.

Edited by moontang

6 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

With all the problems going on in the Kingdom, serious problems, drinking is what occupies your minds?

4 hours ago, deej said:

Your above opinion,

is way over top, in my books.

Yes, in 'your' books.

But then, you were the guy who bragged to us that he was happy that he could, and did, break the law by buying alcohol at a local Mom&Pop shop, right.

You're 'opinion' about what is right or wrong is seriously flawed to begin with.

Sorry, but your cravings for alcohol limit your ability to think about the good of the community. While you might justify your opinions based on the behavior in other parts of the world, they are in opposition to the laws of the country in which you live. Perhaps it's time for you to move to where you will be more comfortable with your drinking problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Yesterday we had a letter from our local plod, bars can re open on 15th. as long as hand sanitisers, and other rules are employed, such as one metre space between staff and customers. About time as well, and I say this as a bar owner ( well, the wife is ), and not as a customer.

Amazing, but what month is that ? Sorry but I like to be specific. In addition, open air bars should not really be in the same category as enclosed close proximity type bars, but the powers that be are not distinguishing. When you say bars, do you mean open or closed type ?

Yes it is.

The millions of self employed staff seem to hold no value to the powers that are intent (and have been for decades) to rid Thailand of drink. Covid, despite the total lack of infections at a rate that would lead to a total declaration of being Covid free in just about every other country is the magic wand being used to make the blight of alcohol disappear.

The newly announced alcohol allowed in restaurants , smoke and mirrors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes, in 'your' books.

But then, you were the guy who bragged to us that he was happy that he could, and did, break the law by buying alcohol at a local Mom&Pop shop, right.

You're 'opinion' about what is right or wrong is seriously flawed to begin with.

Sorry, but your cravings for alcohol limit your ability to think about the good of the community. While you might justify your opinions based on the behavior in other parts of the world, they are in opposition to the laws of the country in which you live. Perhaps it's time for you to move to where you will be more comfortable with your drinking problem.

I just love to brag????.Presently within 4 k,s of my

Digs I have 4 resturants who serve me beer in coffee mugs, whilst dinning on their premises.

Therefore despite what you post that I,am uncomfortable with my drinking problems,and should leave the country.

Very kindly suggest that Wowsers as yourself, should  head the queue.

• Sad 2

No, this is the Buddhist Fundamentalist religious lobby, which is very powerful in this country, flexing their muscles by making us all miserable. Religion, to them is about abstinence and suffering. Which is partly true, but banning alcohol is not what the REAL masters had in mind!! 

They are, like all organised religions, peddling idiotic foolery, the politicians latch on because it makes them look good. The fact that they all have huge wine cellars and unlimited supplies of Black Label means they, of course, don't suffer with the rest of us..... Haha. What a surprise!!!!

1 hour ago, deej said:

I just love to brag????.Presently within 4 k,s of my

Digs I have 4 resturants who serve me beer in coffee mugs, whilst dinning on their premises.

Therefore despite what you post that I,am uncomfortable with my drinking problems,and should leave the country.

Very kindly suggest that Wowsers as yourself, should  head the queue.

Do you ever ask yourself 'why' you need ;

A) to brag to us that you are willing to break the law? Do you suppose that impresses anyone?

B) to satisfy a drinking problem so severe that you are willing to expose yourself to incarceration (as happened last week in Phuket to foreigners who were drinking) just to satiate that need?

Personally, I don't care if you drink or don't drink. Nothing wrong with drinking now and then.

It's the problem with it that you so clearly demonstrate that I wonder about, and your blatant disregard of the law.  Do you really think the laws don't apply to you?