cannot tax bike without Thai guarantee ?

Joinaman

Just been down to the local Land office to get new green book for bike, that i lost a while ago. Took copies of house book, passport, visa, copy of green book, etc

Given lots of papers, about 6, all in Thai and told to fill in. When i asked why, was told give to your Thai lady to fill in , and need I D card, house book  and she must fill in for you

When i said no Thai lady with me, he said you come back with Thai lady/friend  who needs to fill in the paperwork for you to provide guarantee.

Went back with my lady, who filled in the papers, but did not know why, just kept saying "she guarantee

Then went to desk to apply for tax, told need more copies, more papers, need Thai guarantee

Another trip to provide these, and when asked why i, a farang, need a Thai to guarantee a simple thing like tax and green book, told, "Farang no can do, need Thai"" 

Anyone else had this problem getting a new book or tax on their own ?

Get some serious earache from my lady when i ask "WHY", when its my bike, my name. told, "this is Thailand, we need guarantees !

Seems its all on computers now, so why the need for all the paperwork and copies just for a simple thing ?

I think something got lost in the translation but you're stuck with it now - rent a friend and get it done. They don't need any 'guarantees' whatsoever - I've taxed both my bikes every year for many years, done the annual safety check and owner transfer/new plates. Not once have I ever been asked for a guarantee.  What would they be guaranteeing anyway?

Just out of interest, which DLT office are you talking about - I can probably sort it for you if you can use the Pak Chong office.

Edited by KhaoYai

10 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Go with the flow ... the run-a-round is probably to teach you to be more careful and not loose the book again. Next year you should be OK.

And the reason for stating i need Thai for guarantee, to tax the bike ??

So to not allow a Farang to get book without Thai, is acceptable and true ? . At 35 baht its no bother, its just the bullsh+t and stupid paperwork needed to get a simple thing, that they already have on their so called computer

And the stupid looks and remarks i get when i DARE to ask questions as to why they need all these things, when its already on the computer

They even asked for my original passport, not my colour copies of main pages and visa page, did not like that i had got my visa in another province, and was going to refuse me due to that

3 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

They even asked for my original passport, not my colour copies of main pages and visa page, did not like that i had got my visa in another province, and was going to refuse me due to that

Provinces issue visa's ?

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think something got lost in the translation but you're stuck with it now - rent a friend and get it done. They don't need any 'guarantees' whatsoever - I've taxed both my bikes every year for many years, done the annual safety check and owner transfer/new plates. Not once have I ever been asked for a guarantee.  What would they be guaranteeing anyway?

Just out of interest, which DLT office are you talking about - I can probably sort it for you if you can use the Pak Chong office.

Thanks  KhayoYai

was in the Nakhon Phanom office in Isaan. No losing in translation, got the same reply in english as my lady got in Thai

Guarantee? Exactly, but would not explain what that meant to me, and my lady just says "this is Thailand, we do for you"

I think next time i go on my own and see what happens. See if they still want Thai ID card, House book and Thai paperwork filled in 

Do you have to fill any paperwork in, and is it in English for you to know what you sign for ?

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Nice one.

Is there any restrictions on where you can renew your annual visa ??

They finally accepted it after consultation with others, but i visa issued by an official immigration office , not matter which one, is surely not a reason to refuse to issue a new green book, or to renew the tax disc ?

15 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Do you have to fill any paperwork in, and is it in English for you to know what you sign for ?

Normally I don't need to read any paperwork when taxing etc. just sign things. When I lost my wallet with both driving licences - there was a little paperwork. Luckily I have a friend at the DLT ????. The change of ownership/new plates - my friend at the local DLT filled in the form for me but I had to do the changeover at the head office in Korat. The staff there were very helpful.

19 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

was in the Nakhon Phanom office in Isaan. No losing in translation, got the same reply in english as my lady got in Thai

If you look at the Ho Chi Minh consulate's requirements for a Non O visa - it says there that a 'guarantee' from your wife must be provided. What they actually mean is a letter from your wife which simply asks they provide a visa to enable you to visit her.

I suspect that it is a misunderstanding over the meaning of guarantee.

3 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I have done  renewals  of lost books and number plates  for bikes in my name and for other people   and never needed a Thais help or  Garantee   something not correct   here

As with Visas - the likelihood is that its a local office making its own rules up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joinaman said:

oh Sh"t, never checked !!

Time to go look 

Ok

Its in my name 

Not sure which is the worst thing when doing this sort of thing in Thailand

All the bullsh"t and paperwork that im sure just gets dumped somewhere, never to be seen again, or

the look you get when you dare to question them on why they want these things , when they have computers ?

Sounds like a new boss flexing his muscles, done mine for years car and bike no problem. I can see something like a loan but tax please you get 500 or 600 bhat every year. But Thais get also needing extra paper work.

on another simialar vein regarding paperwork and WHY?

had a bump in the car, new back bumper, new back light

Takes it to garage as per insurance, told to come back with paperwork ??

Need passport, Visa, house book and her ID card before they can even look at the car

Also need to bring the BIG back bumper to the garage for them to look at

Cut it in two so i could get it in car, then they complain that i should have kept it whole, even though it won't fit in the car and is obviously badly damaged

Went back yesterday to see when its getting repaired, told i needed another copy of passort, insurance paper. first. Again i get crazy man look when i ask why i need these when their contract is with the insurance company, not me, Now find they want a week to refit a new bumper and back light ? I say 2 day, they say not possible !!

Love this place, but sometimes feel like banging heads to get sensible answers from them

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

Sounds like a new boss flexing his muscles, done mine for years car and bike no problem. I can see something like a loan but tax please you get 500 or 600 bhat every year. But Thais get also needing extra paper work.

Yup, but not new boss, i think 

I agree on things like loans or HP, but a simple road tax?

What do they do with all this paperwork ?

do they even look at it ?

cos i get so piddled off i just scribble my name on it and either scribble my signature or just put an X, and nobody ever questions it 

It sounds like a translation problem. If you can fill in the forms yourself, in Thai, then you don't need to involve anyone else. If, however, you need a Thai person to fill in the forms on your behalf then you will have to complete a Letter of Authority for them to act as your agent. The agent will also have to provide a copy of their ID card. This is absolutely normal.

The Thai person isn't guaranteeing anything. They are acting as your agent. You do not have to pay them for this (unless you want to).

If you were a company director you would spend a portion of your week signing authority letters. If you send anyone anywhere to do anything that is semi official, you have to send them with an authority letter or go and do it yourself.

A new green book will require a letter of authority for sure. Taxing your bike should not need a letter of authority, however as you know each department has different requirements.

2 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Nope, no problems with that, just the fact that they state "Farang can no do , need Thai"

Yes a Thai person to Guarantee you are who you are I guess, some DLT's have crazy rules.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

OP might need his name translated to Thai to check !!

My name is printed in English in the registration book for both bikes.

Fellow Tyke ????.

Edited by KhaoYai

op it seems to be that the common denominator with your problems with the DLT and car repair shop is you.

attitude is very important when dealing with people in offices etc, from a position of authority, i used to say when dealing with people, give me attitude get more of the same back. 

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1