any Bank in Thailand offers a Pre Paid Credit Card?

I got 2 cards from BKK Bank......... you open another account especially for the card which gets topped up from your original account end of the month. So if you go to the limit, you have to wait till then. I just have 100K limit. They TXT every time you use it (You don't answer) I found one of the cards very useful it has the Air Asia --link to them so every time you spend you get points or freebies ---I can put my luggage under for free, get coffee / red seats all free, first on plane..etc..etc

• Thanks 1

I had a Kasikorn credit card for 8 years. 30k just keep making payment half way through month if hits limit.

Make sure you pay in full will get charged intrest even though you have the 30k in the account specially for the card.

You collect points and I find convenient. I have had many 500bht Lazada and Sizzler vouchers from creditcard points.

Know it only really a debit card but more convenient.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Bakwan said:

I would like to find a Bank in Tailand, wo offers a Pre PaidCredit Card

Is your keyboard missing the letter "h" ?

if it is prepaid then it is not a credit card.

Any ATM card is a prepaid card just  open an account.

If you dont want to open an account,

Krungsi has a prepaid gift card.

KTB has a prepaid e-money gift card.

SCB M shopping card is only good at the mall.

I suggest you ask at each major bank.

Edited by Thailand J
  • Confused 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, ukrules said:

Is there something I'm missing?

Yes.

Credit cards have several benefits not available to debit cards, even though a prepaid one appears to function the same.  Building a credit history, provide extended warranties, reward points for spending, security for hiring a car, better protection from fraud or supplier problems are some examples.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:51 PM, ukrules said:

I've lived here for years and use a bank account with an ATM / debit card. I can use it for shopping around the world online, etc.

Why would anyone want a pre paid credit card? By definition its a debit card if it's prepaid.

Is there something I'm missing? Does it help to build a credit rating or something like that?

I also lived here for years but been traveling a lot for my job. I have 2 Credit cards from Bangkok Bank (1 visa & 1 Master Card Air Asia). I have also plenty of debit cards from different banks. I will always use as priority the debit cards but I found several cases (mostly abroad) where the debit cards are not accepted. To get cash from ATM's, never had any issues abroad with the debit cards however, payments in hotels, restaurants...only Credit Cards will work. Also, using quite a lot online payment, I've had some issues paying with the Debit Cards while only Credit Cards were accepted. So, for me, this Credit cards are quite useful especially as I don't have any other Credit Cards from my original country or other countries

However, when I am in Thailand, I rarely used the Credit cards as Debit Cards are widely accepted everywhere.

I am quite lucky however because I never been asked by Bangkok Bank to secure any money in an account for the Credit Cards. As I know, most banks will required you to deposit some amount in separate account to secure the Credit Cards, which is in my opinion similar than a Debit Cards, my Credit Cards are "Real" Credit Cards as I can use it as Credit.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 4:18 PM, sanuk711 said:

I got 2 cards from BKK Bank......... you open another account especially for the card which gets topped up from your original account end of the month. So if you go to the limit, you have to wait till then. I just have 100K limit. They TXT every time you use it (You don't answer) I found one of the cards very useful it has the Air Asia --link to them so every time you spend you get points or freebies ---I can put my luggage under for free, get coffee / red seats all free, first on plane..etc..etc

Did they ask for work permit to open AirAsia card?

20 hours ago, treetops said:

Yes.

Credit cards have several benefits not available to debit cards, even though a prepaid one appears to function the same.  Building a credit history, provide extended warranties, reward points for spending, security for hiring a car, better protection from fraud or supplier problems are some examples.

Does this apply to a THAI Credit Card please?

13 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

Did they ask for work permit to open AirAsia card?

No its a Visa card---through BKK Bank just has some link up with Air Asia. No I am in my 70s they didn't ask for anything, really they cant lose its more of a debit card, I mean you have the money in another account to cover so why should they worry. I only bother when booking flights/Hotel/ Rent cars  etc

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jphasia said:

I also lived here for years but been traveling a lot for my job. I have 2 Credit cards from Bangkok Bank (1 visa & 1 Master Card Air Asia). I have also plenty of debit cards from different banks. I will always use as priority the debit cards but I found several cases (mostly abroad) where the debit cards are not accepted. To get cash from ATM's, never had any issues abroad with the debit cards however, payments in hotels, restaurants...only Credit Cards will work. Also, using quite a lot online payment, I've had some issues paying with the Debit Cards while only Credit Cards were accepted. So, for me, this Credit cards are quite useful especially as I don't have any other Credit Cards from my original country or other countries

However, when I am in Thailand, I rarely used the Credit cards as Debit Cards are widely accepted everywhere.

I am quite lucky however because I never been asked by Bangkok Bank to secure any money in an account for the Credit Cards. As I know, most banks will required you to deposit some amount in separate account to secure the Credit Cards, which is in my opinion similar than a Debit Cards, my Credit Cards are "Real" Credit Cards as I can use it as Credit.

If you have TPN-connected debit cards, then you might have problems paying online. Bangkok Banks MasterCard is a TPN-card. 

If a Thai banks debit card isn't connected to TPN, like for example Kasikorn Banks Visa debit card, then it works online same as a credit card. You can't pay in installments, though. 

9 hours ago, stouricks said:

Every bank's credit card has different features so you have to check for yourself.  The features provided by Visa/Mastercard apply to Thai cards as much as overseas ones.

• Like 1

I can use my Kasikornbank Visa debit card as "credit card" for online shopping and in stores, but it needed to be unlocked first.

To pay abroad when traveling, you need to unlock it case by case with calling their hotline. Guess for security and fraud reasons.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you have TPN-connected debit cards, then you might have problems paying online. Bangkok Banks MasterCard is a TPN-card. 

If a Thai banks debit card isn't connected to TPN, like for example Kasikorn Banks Visa debit card, then it works online same as a credit card. You can't pay in installments, though. 

I have Bangkok Bank debit cards (3 actually: 1 Visa, 1 Master and 1 Union Pay as I have 3 account with Bangkok Bank), but also SCB and Krungsri debit card. All have been authorized for online payment and use internationally. I believe the problems in some case are not the Debit Card but only that some places are just not accepting Debit but only Credit Card. As example, I used to stay in a hotel in Yangon which the General Manager was Thai. She explained that the Thai Debit Cards were not accepted for payment in Myanmar. Only Credit Cards. I had the same issue I had in Japan. So, for me, based on my experience, Debit Cards are perfect but not 100% accepted everywhere. That's when I use the Credit Cards 

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

Protection for Fraud worked for me. Last year, my MasterCard Air Asia Bangkok Bank was hacked. I didn't notice it as I was sleeping but I was woke up by a call from Bangkok Bank Customer Services telling that my card just hacked. The total debit was 80.000THB done in several debits (maybe 20). After the call, I saw the SMS notifications on my phone for the transactions.

Bangkok Bank informed me during the call that they were cancelling my card and sending me a new one within a week. I was not charge anything for the fraud transactions.

Also, I used to have a recurring payment (monthly payment) on my Visa Bangkok Bank Credit Card. One I found out that the amount was still debited after I cancelled this recurring payment (from AIS) months later.

I contacted first AIS to get explanation but they were not cooperating. Then I called Bangkok Bank Customer Service. Few days later all over recurrent transactions were refund on my Credit Card

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

What's TPN please?

13 hours ago, stouricks said:

Here's a thought. If I got a Bkk Bank credit card, and put Bht 800,000 as security deposit but never dipped into it by paying card off every month, would that satisfy the Immigration?   Hmmmm

no.

The deposit is available 45-60 days after you have cancelled the credit card which the deposit guaranteed.

The bank letter to use for immigration states your available balance of the day.

You have to deposit an amount more than 800k and use the amount over 800k as credit card guarantee. For example have 900k and use 100k as credit card guarantee, or have two deposit books, one with 800k for immigration one with 100k for CC guarantee.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jphasia said:

I have Bangkok Bank debit cards (3 actually: 1 Visa, 1 Master and 1 Union Pay as I have 3 account with Bangkok Bank), but also SCB and Krungsri debit card.

wow. So many ATM cards... I have none, tho i have many bank accounts.

I have linked my Bangkok Bank credit card to my Bangkok Bank savings account and able to use my credit card  as debit card to withdraw cash directly from my savings account, which is not a credit card cash advance. This feature only works within Thailand, out of Thailand I use my Schwab debit card.

What is the advantage of having so many ATM cards? you can easily transfer funds among thai bank accounts online, and use other bank's ATM for free up to 5 times a month.

I pay 0 ATM card fee and don't have to worry my CC card not being accepted.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thailand J said:

wow. So many ATM cards... I have none, tho i have many bank accounts.

I have linked my Bangkok Bank credit card to my Bangkok Bank savings account and able to use my credit card  as debit card to withdraw cash directly from my savings account, which is not a credit card cash advance. This feature only works within Thailand, out of Thailand I use my Schwab debit card.

What is the advantage of having so many ATM cards? you can easily transfer funds among thai bank accounts online, and use other bank's ATM for free up to 5 times a month.

I pay 0 ATM card fee and don't have to worry my CC card not being accepted.

You are correct.  

On 6/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, Thailand J said:

What is the advantage of having so many ATM cards?

Backup.

If you have one using the Visa system and it goes down you could have the backup of Mastercard.

If you have one issued by Bangkok Bank, the backup could with Kasikorn, for example, if BBL systems go down.

If you lose one, you have an alternative while waiting on a replacement.

If one account is hacked, and frozen or emptied, you still have one you can use in your wallet.

Never be without a decent alternative, even if it costs you a little money - think of it as insurance.