Can you mail gold jewellery to Thailand?

thairookie

I wonder if anyone has had experience of sending jewellery from your country to Thailand via international courier?

I'm not able to fly because of the pandemic, but my friend in Thailand has an important occasion to celebrate, and I'd like to buy her family a piece of gold jewellery which will cost around US$500 - US$600.

Will Thailand tax the item upon arrival ?  Most of the couriers consider jewellery as "restricted" items; and some even "prohibited".

For those who have had experience, I'd be grateful if you could share your experience.

Edited by thairookie

Insuring the piece will probably cost as much as the item itself and almost no postal services will accept it, DHL and alike will open it and tax you until it hurt so your best bet will be to post it regular like USPS or EMS and registered and hope for the best...

The above posts are right, if you trust your girlfriend, I say that with respect, another alternative would be to send her the money to buy gold here, at least that way if she ever suffered hard times, she could sell it for almost what she paid for it.

My wife has collected 6 baht worth of gold over the time we have been married, don't know which farang ended up paying for them, but I know they are worth double what that farang paid for them.

I should see if she wants to cash in and take me on a holiday for a change......lol

Edited by 4MyEgo